help me pls

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
I have a little problem I have a dog he is a lab/chow mix. he 11 mouth old. and he has a problem in the house he want to play with my little dogs, and he is very very hpyer in the house and he dose not calm down for anything. but when i'm by my self and the other dog are lock up he is fine, and he not calm but calmer then what he is with other animals, and when he is in the house the other dogs tease him for he go after them but not in a mean but a playful why and I have to yell at him.and its hard to train him because i'm in school, so he up in my room all day, and i take him for a run everyday, but I don't like to because he pull on the leash and its very annoying at time so I don't take a long walk with him and now he chewing very bad too. can you help me. :) :confused:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor was the same way..I had to get up at 6 am and take him to the park where he could run hard and then we would start our day. He is doing his daily wrestle with Mary right now....little by little he is calming down. He is now a year old. Chewing is either a teething thing or boredom. Most people frown on rawhides and hooves, but I don't know if I could have handled vic without them .The rawhides I bought were always the long square white ones not the twisted darkesh tan..they I know are dangerous..and I always threw the hoof away when it got down to a small part that could be swallowed. You may have to alter your routine, get up earlier and run with your young dog until he is tired and you are beat...you'll both be the better for it. Most young dogs do not like to walk slow..you have to keep up a quick pace to do any good at all. Inventing games like fetch and hide and seek the toy can use up some energy too. Ol boss said there is no difference between a child and a dog. Dogs age to the equivilant of a 7 year old. The puppy stage does't last forever and a older dog is such a comfort..worth all the work.

Ok, I'll see if I can answer some of your questions. But I have some questions. #1 is, why can't he play with the litte dogs? Would he hurt them? I don't know what kind of 'little dog' you are talking about here, so I'm confused.

From the way you describe him he sounds bored. A puppy that is in a room all day, with no interaction and no exercise, means you will have hyper dog that chews everything.

How you can teach him to not pull, is every time he does go to pull, stop dead and don't move. After a bit, he'll most likely stop pulling and look to see why you are coming. As soon as he stops pulling and the leash slakens, start walking agian. If he goes to pull, stop dead. After a bit, he should realize that pulling doesn't get him to where he wants to go. You could also have him wear a head halter or something like so he can't pull.

(Also, fetch is a really good game that wears the dog out, and all you have to do is throw a ball! lol)

Saje

Island dweller
You really do need to exercise him more. Try Rose's Gal method of teaching them not to pull. If that doesn't work you should get a harness that helps with pulling. A humane one not one that pinches or chokes or anything like that. At least with that you'll be able to exercise him a lot more.

My newfie needed (still needs) at least two hour-long walks a day. Without that he was a nutcase at home. We usually took him for walks longer than that when we lived in an apartment. We took sometimes a two or three hour walk with him late in the evening when few people were out. We'd let him run off-leash as we were lucky to live in an area of Vancouver where he could play on the beach when the tide was out or, if it was in, he'd go swimming (once he was brave enough), or play in the woods and along the path with us. He has a lot of stamina that dog and still goes for long walks.

It sounds like more exercise is the key for you.

For boredom get him things like a kong toy filled with peanut butter that will take him awhile to get it out. I've been buying frozen soup bones and that keeps my dogs entertained for hours. I don't know how recommended that is. If anyone has thoughts or opinions I'd be all ears.

Sakasha

Sheltered
*Nods* You've gotten some great advice! Like Rose's Gal said, it sounds like your biggest problem is that your pup isn't getting the chance to get his energy out. I can understand you're displeasure with walking him since he really pulls (working at a shelter, I deal with it every day - my poor arm :rolleyes:). Try working with him on his leash manners. Again Rose's Gal has a great method - worked with my dog, and he used to be a monster on the leash. When he was 7 months old (just before I took him home) he knocked a headstone over in the shelter's pet cemetary trying to pull a girl I work with towards the pen; it fell on her foot and broke her toe!

As for getting his energy out, I have a few ideas. Since it's so cold out right now, Dutch and I only go for a few very short walks a day. But, I make sure we have play time inside. A few minutes of training on his basic commands comes first, and then, game time! His favorite is "food-hide-and-seek". I put him in a sit-stay, and have him watch me as I hide food around the livingroom; in corners, on bookcases, under tables ... Then, after I'm done hiding it, I give him the "find-it" command, and he goes crazy searching the room. We also play "food-fetch" which is a great way for me to get his energy out after a long day. I fill a cup with food, and throw it peice by peice around the room. In between each one, he knows he must return to me by the couch and sit so that I will continue the game. After about 20 minutes, he's panting like crazy, and I get to rest on the couch the whole time. :D
Since Dutch is training for agility, I also have a few random obstacles set up throughout the apartment. Two jumps in the bedroom, a small table on which to practice his "down-waits" in the living room, and two ramps leading up to either side of the window seat in the kitchen. Throughout the day, I will randomly ask him to perform these obstacles. (I realize that the only reason I can do this is because I live alone, and your family might not apreciate PVC pipes all around the house - I was just giving another example).

A happy and well behaved dog is one who has enough of both physical, and mental stimlulation. So be creative, make up some of your own games, see what he likes best. And like Saje said, get him a Kong toy and stuff if with treats, or any dog safe foods you have around - it'll keep him busy for a long time. I love making up new "recipies" for things to stuff in Kongs - I think I "cook" more for Dutch than I do for myself.

bubbatd

For the pulling on walks...try a gentle leader....they really work !!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I agree with all the posts above he does sound bored and needs alot more exercise. I go through those hyper puppy years alot.

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
I have a gentle leader but he pulls more when I have it on. but I let all the idea you have give me. and for Rose's Gal the little one are 3 Chihuahua and he is a 95 pound dog so that why I can't let him play with them because he jump on them and they go after them. but thank for all your idea I well try them and post if it woks thank you

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
HI ya i have a puppy like that and he is a yellow lab puppy at neraly 7 months!!anyway what i do is i tke him for a little walk but let him off the lead longer for a run not a walk then he/she will be more tierd and then when he/she gets home they will fall asleep!! Or if ya want take him for little walks but often!!! Good luck!!I know its hard work im still trying!!lol

Doberluv

Better get that dog trained to walk nicely on a leash. He needs exercise badly or you'll continue to have more problems. I have a Doberman, a Lab and two Chihuahuas. That Doberman would have killed those Chihuahuas with his exuberance to play if he hadn't been tired out a few times a day. I suggest a puppy class so you can get some training tips, socialization for your dog and for you. It's fun. Get a reputable trainer though.

If you browse through these threads, there should be some good info about teaching your dog not to pull....how you stand still and hold fast when he makes tension in the leash and resume walking when he gives you slack.....or turn and walk the other way. I like to make random turns all over the place, dog sitting when I stop, which I do frequently. It makes the dog pay attention to you better...he's wondering what's coming next. Then you use lots and lots of praise and treats when he does well. That's a start, but do put some time and effort into your dog. You'll be glad you did.

Members online

No members online now.