Akitas!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Tell me everything you know about Akitas. It's a breed that I've considered getting in the future.

I've done some research on the breed but from what I've learned about German shepherds nothing beats experience-- since I don't have an Akita- I'd like to ask those of you have owned one, dealt with one in the past, etc.

What are they like? Quirks and personalities? Anything ya got! :)

Thanks!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
From the couple that I've dealt with:

They give off the impression of bear crossed with a cat, very light on the tips of their paws. Also, very headstrong and willfull. They will challange you nonstop if they think they can get away with it. The one that I see every day has bursts of energy, but also loves to lie around for the better part of the day. Can be playful, but they've got a powerful swipe. I've gotten knocked around before when he was excited about going home and it wasn't pleasant. Strong pullers as well. Moderate-high protecters IIRC. I'm those who have owned them can tell you more of the day to day quirks.

But, from what it sounds like you've been going through with Rocky, so long as you lay down the law early and keep up on the training, you should do fine.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Thanks for the info Zoom. I hear they're VERY domineering-- not for a weak owner... and from reading the Monks' puppy books and my own experiences I REALLY feel I could deal with another shepherd puppy easily.

Dunno about an Akita though-- they seem a little too much for me.

Anybody else got any info?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Our neighbor has an Akita that we dogsit on occassion. Jake is definately aloof: while generally friendly, he sometimes seems indifferent to human attention. He's not responsive to obedience commands, but is generally well-behaved. On a sidenote, Jake is not really a guard dog, either. He gets along great with the neighborhood children, and doesn't object when strangers come into his yard. Strange dogs are iffy, there are some he likes and some he doesn't like, and you can never tell which it will be. Cats are definately a no-no: he managed to kill a stray cat who wandered too close.

Our neighbor does say that Jake is the gentlest Akita he's ever owned (he has a real love for the breed). He says that his previous Akitas were much more "focused," protective and definately a challenge. Even Jake, mellow as he is for an Akita, tests his boundaries from time to time.

I wouldn't recommend them as a first time dog for anyone, or for people who like to have a "dog dog". Personalitywise, Akitas are more like overgrown cats.

showpug

BigDog, I have had quite a few experiences with Akitas throughout my vet clinic years and I will say that they are very stubborn and have a mind of their own. Almost every Akita we saw in the clinic had to be muzzled. I am not saying that the breed is neccesarily aggressive, but I am saying that when taken out of their element they may view situations as a challenge. They are a very dominant breed to say the least. I never met a loving or friendly Akita, they would either pretend I wasn't there or try to bite, but never a friendly tail wag! I have never owned one though and my experiences come from working in a vet clinic-a place where dogs don't like to go anayway, so I am sure I am biased. I do think they are beautiful dogs though! :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Be the newest Fila owner! :rolleyes: Well, whatever you do, look long and hard at any and all information and talk to as many people who own that particular breed as possible. You'll eventually get a general idea of what they should be.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I hear a lot about Akitas being aggressive and muzzled but seriously, after raising Rocky I REALLY think I could do it.

If I socialized him A LOT early-- something I failed to do because my dad was working 24/7- the only thing I could do for Rocky was invite as many people as I could over, he still fear barks (working on it).

Also, in the Monks' book I hear it's very important to start HANDLING Rocky. They have a very nice approach to start doing so when they're a puppy- something I failed to do with Rocky and am once again having to desensitize him-- if I did this with an Akita, it would make it A LOT easier for a veterinarian to handle him, add the socialization in, and there you have it: a dog at the vet's office WAGGING his tail. :D

But I mean, I REAALLLY learned a lot from raising him and especially after reading the Monks of New Skete book, "The Art of Raising a Puppy".

About the Filas though, they seem like a lot of fun but I don't think I'm ready for one-- after owning only ONE dog.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
BigDog2191 said:
Ah, is that right? Are they THAT independent?
Yes they are. Jake, while well behaved, almost never "asks" for attention from anyone, not even his owner. Jake is not aggressive, but when he's given attention, it's like he's thinking "You're petting me? *shrug* Ok, whatever you want to do."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they don't feel anything for their owners. Jake does get depressed when my neighbor is gone for a long period of time. It's just that this breed of dog does not normally solicit affection. That was the main reason why my neighbor was attracted by the Akita breed in the first place: he works long hours and wanted a dog that wouldn't get upset by being alone a lot.

If you want an Akita, great! I wanted one for the longest time, and I think they're gorgeous. I'm sure you would be able to make it non-agressive as long as you work hard on socialization and handling. Just don't expect to end up with a dog that's as responsive to you or as trainable as a GSD.

Last edited:
Zoom said:
From the couple that I've dealt with:

They give off the impression of bear crossed with a cat, very light on the tips of their paws. Also, very headstrong and willfull. They will challange you nonstop if they think they can get away with it. The one that I see every day has bursts of energy, but also loves to lie around for the better part of the day. Can be playful, but they've got a powerful swipe. I've gotten knocked around before when he was excited about going home and it wasn't pleasant. Strong pullers as well. Moderate-high protecters IIRC. I'm those who have owned them can tell you more of the day to day quirks.

But, from what it sounds like you've been going through with Rocky, so long as you lay down the law early and keep up on the training, you should do fine.
That one's name wouldnt happen to be Aki would it?

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
I have a friend that raises and shows his akita's. They are exactly as the breed standard says they are. They bond to their family. They are considered one of the guarding breeds. A grown akita is quite formidable if nothing but looks alone. I would go to a very,very reputable breeder as temperment problems can be an issue. Do not expect alot out of them training wise. They are obedient on their terms.They will more or less ignore everything and everybody unless its gives them a problem challenged they can be quite bad. Females tend to be more the protectors than males. They are great dogs as long as you understand there typical asian breeds personality very similar to a chow or sharpei. Socialization is important but that does not mean it will make the dog friendly but more to make him tolerate people and other animals. They instinctively do not like cats. Males can go over 100 lbs. I have known many nice akitas it is NOT there nature to be aggressive, aloofness is there nature." Don't bother me and I could care less about you",so to speak. The Pintos are the prettiest.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Hm... doesn't sound like a dog that I'd like to own-- but I'd like to give 'im a shot. They sure sound independent... I don't want it to be SO independent to where it's cat-like... I mean that's why I want a dog.

Thanks for your input everyone. More is welcome.

panzer426

hey bigdog, why dont you list the things you want from a future dog. I know you have learned a lot from raising Rocky, reading books and talking/asking wuestions/reading posts on here and other sites...dont doubt YOU at all. but if you list all of the different things you do AND dont want in a dog we could all list off what WE think are the closest matches. I.E. I want a dog that will bark and protect my home, I can trust off leash, is smart and easy to train. I dont want a dog that will fight every command or learn them but only obey when it feels like it, I dont want it to be lazy or a digger, etc etc etc.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
That's a good idea. Thanks panzer.

Here goes, here's what I want:

1) Don't care about shedding
2) Medium-large-sized dog
3) Nothing TOO active- wouldn't mind if it was pretty mellow and lazed around the house either
4) It would be nice if the dog could do some guarding if not, that's alright.
5) I don't know how EASY a German shepherd is to train compared to other dogs. But it was very easy for me to train Rocky. He LOVES our little obedience training sessions. So anything that's pretty smart and easily trained will do- I'd be willing to work a little harder with that if necessary though.
6) I want a somewhat independent dog- one that won't bawl it's eyes out if I leave for classes (this is for when I get somewhat older, possibly college).

Uh, I guess that's good enough. Any suggestions?

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
AKitas do fantastically with modern training methods, we had one that earned it's CD before it was hit by a car after chasing a cat across the road:(
But, they are very trying dogs, and if you had problems with a shepherd I would avoid and Akita at all costs.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
bridey_01 said:
AKitas do fantastically with modern training methods, we had one that earned it's CD before it was hit by a car after chasing a cat across the road:(
But, they are very trying dogs, and if you had problems with a shepherd I would avoid and Akita at all costs.
As my very first dog. But with my experience and reading up on different books, I really think I could handle one. Only problem is, do I want one?

M

Manchesters

Huh???????

bridey_01 said:
If modern training methods worked so fantastically, what in the name of Satan was the dog doing running loose chasing a cat across a street??????????????????????????? Didn't the modern training work in teaching the RECALL?????? (click,click, click) :D :D :D

Members online

No members online now.