worms, and bloddy diarrhea

luvmydogs

ok on a thread here i found this answer...Blood in the stoll usually means worms. Diarrhea and blood is usually whipworm. You might want to get a wormer that takes care of whip. (Safeguard is a good wormer).i think magnum has worms, hes really really skinny and eats like a horse, but has diarrhea that looks a little bloody...well the first time he pooped today was diarrhea, all the other times were just water. he seems dehydrated too. what can i do about dehydration and how will i find out if he is? he drank 4 bowls of water today.and i'm wondering...how can i take a fecal to the vet monday when there is hardly anything coming out of his butt..???

S

stirder

dont have much advice but they should be able to get a fecal sample from him. a scary little tool that they insert into his, umm, into him.

Ash47

Taco Dog
LOL stirder. Or, you could just scoop a little up and take it to the vet with you so that they don't have to do that. You should get him checked for Heartworms too, unless they did that at the shelter.

Julie

I am back again.
Blood in the stool can come from things other than worms too.

You got him from the shelter today, right?

I would be carefull with him, and get him to the vet asap.

And make a call to where you adopted him from and see if it has happened before??

Good Luck,
Julie.

luvmydogs

Pro47 said:
LOL stirder. Or, you could just scoop a little up and take it to the vet with you so that they don't have to do that. You should get him checked for Heartworms too, unless they did that at the shelter.
they didnt do jack at the shelter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will definately do that. i am very concerned about my dog's healths. i will get everything, that they can, checked out. ;) what if he does have heartworm? does that mean he will die soon? i couldnt take another death :confused:

Julie

I am back again.
I forgot to mention, if you clean up all fecal matter from frequented areas, there is a far less chance your other dog will become infected if it is worms.
But you probably already thought of that, so let us know the outcome.
Julie.

Julie

I am back again.
Our local "shelter" sounds like yours. They do nothing but feed them for 5 days and then gone..... so sad. Our's is just an old fashioned dog pound.
But our's is probably worse.

If that is the case he probably is infested with worms. I would ask the vet for a broad wormer (like pyrantel pamoate) and one for tapes(praziquantel). Make sure you mention your other animals, maybe they need to be treated in a few weeks???
You can get both over the counter, but since you are unsure of a diagnosis, a vet would be safer.
Best of Luck,
Julie.

bubbatd

Vet time with a sample....you don't need much...use a plastic spoon and put in empty film container.

Ash47

Taco Dog
luvmydogs said:
they didnt do jack at the shelter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will definately do that. i am very concerned about my dog's healths. i will get everything, that they can, checked out. ;) what if he does have heartworm? does that mean he will die soon? i couldnt take another death :confused:
Hun there is a chance that he could as with any illness. But, this one is very treatable and at the same time very costly. They inject a drug into the dog's back muscles and watch him for a few days. He will then need to be confined for up to 6 weeks<at your home or at the vet>while the worms die. Heartworms is a major deal, but if caught early enough, it is completely treatable. Don't worry and just ask them to run a HW test on Magnum. I am sure that even if he does have worms, that you will take great care of him and he will have nothing to worry bout. ;)

Members online

No members online now.