Grooming or health problem?

Cattrah

My little Dachshund/Rat Terrier mix, Lowla, is a really awful shedder! I have no idea how she sheds so much hair, but her coat is just not very thick or soft at all. On her chest and belly it seems to be kinda patchy, but not really, only if you look closely. She did have problems with Demodex mange when she was younger. She's 1 year old now. I can't stand how much she sheds. I've tried all kinds of brushes but nothing really seems to comb any hair out, it's just so short and thin. She eats a great diet, I can't imagine it's that. She started on Canidae and didn't really have much shedding problem (but she was getting dipped and washed every two weeks), and then we switched her to Innova because she wouldn't eat the Canidae anymore, and it seems like that's when the shedding got really bad, but she also stopped the baths and dips then too. We're switching her over to Evo now because she doesn't like Innova anymore. I'm hoping it'll help. So does it sound like it's a health problem or do I need a better grooming tool? I'm so tired of having dog hair in everything, even after we wash clothes there's still dog hair all over everything. Piles of it in the house, the moment she sits down somewhere and sleeps for a while, she wakes up scratches and there's a big pile of hair. Ugh! Help!

Saintgirl

I find it interesting that you noticed the shedding increase when you stopped the baths. When you bath a dog you are also removing any of the loose fur that contributes to shedding. When we professionally groom dogs the high velocity drier removes any of the loose fur and in effect reduces shedding greatly. I recommend brushing DAILY and having your dog groomed on a regular basis. People often think that grooming really only benefits a coated dog, but it can greatly reduce the amount of shedding, keep the nails, ears and anals in good shape too!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Have you tried a rubber brush, such as a Zoom Groom? Often times "normal" brushes don't work at all with dogs with short single coats (like Dobermans and Manchesters) but the rubber brushes work VERY well. The rubber is grippy, so the loose hairs actually stick to the rubber and are brushed away.

noludoru

Bored Now.
DITTO what Sizzle said. The only thing *truly* effective on short, smooth coated dogs that I know of are the rubber brushes...

chanda

Dont use "normal" brushes to your dog... try something like rubber brushes, it works very good coz the loose hairs are easier to brush away since it sticks to the rubber.

Cattrah

yes, we did buy a rubber brush because I thought that would be the only one that would work, and it does seem to pull some hairs off, but even after I groom her she still makes little piles of hair. Although the brush doesn't seem to be effective, it's pretty big and has big knobby "bristles". It was also advertized as a shampooing brush so we use it to lather her as well when we bathe her. Anyone have any suggestions (links) maybe better suited for a small dog?

lizzybeth727

I use a bristle brush like this one

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752795

on my Chihuahua. It's the only thing I've found that gets any hair out. I don't particularly like the rubber brushes, but that's just me. If they don't seem to be working for you, you could try the bristle brush.

What do you mean, she doesn't like her food anymore? How long have you been feeding her that brand? Does the shedding get worse a couple of times a year, or is it just always bad?

It could be that she needs more oils in her diet. You can get suppliments at any big pet store that you put in her water or food that help a lot with shedding.

Cattrah

hmm perhaps I'll give that a try, thanks!

Well she won't eat when I put the food down and I know she's hungry. For some reason she'll just wait until she can't stand being so hungry and then she goes chow the whole bowl down. With the new Evo brand, she'll eat it as soon as I put it down, it's a lot more aromatic than Innova. She was on Canidae for about 6-7 months and then she was on Innova for about 4 months.

Well, she's only a year old so I haven't watched her shedding patterns for a whole normal year yet since she was dipped/bathed so frequently in the begining. I use to give her extra vitamins, but she won't eat them anymore.

food

I think if she 'stops eating' the EVO or whatever you currently have her on you just have to stick with it and don't give her a chance to 'not like it'. I would put down the food--give her 10-15 minutes to eat it and if she doesn't take it away and try again at your next normally scheduled eating time--she will get the message quick as to what she needs to do.

How often do you bathe her now?

I also recommend brushing often as it will get the loose hairs out.

Members online

No members online now.