Maggie's first nail trimming

She was so good! She just layed there and licked my face. It seriously took me like 2 minutes.

Should I trim the back claws too? The front ones were the ones that bothered me because she's still learning not to jump and she'd scratch my face sometimes. I was just wondering if there was some health reason that I should trim the back ones too.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
It just depends on the dog. I don't ever have to trim Ozzys back paws because of the way he walks, they just wear down faster than the front ones.

B

Backward_Cinderella

Only if you hear them clicking. That's my rule of thumb, if I can hear them clicking, its time to cut them. With the front nails, you may also want to try filing them, that way they won't be jagged and rip you open when she jumps on you.
Dooms nails have never had to be cut because he's always playing and he wears them down, Booger has to have his fronts cut, but he seems to walk on the toes of his back feet, because I've never had to cut the back ones, and before Ted passed away, I used to have to cut his fronts and backs. It depends on the way the dog walks, and to a certain extent, what he or she will tolerate.
Out of curiosity, does Maggie have dew claws? If she does, make sure to remember to get those suckers cut, because they can cause a world of hurt if you leave them alone!

Members online