Show Help.....PLEASE!?!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Okay some of you know that I would like to show my next dog....hopefully a Golden! :D

So I was wondering if some one could tell me what all the show "terms" mean?!?!

Like what is Comformation, and Gaiting and CH?

And all those other terms! :p

Thanks! :)

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
CH = champion
conformation = dog show (i think)
gait= the dogs movement when running, walking etc.

T

tessa_s212

Conformation can be the name of the type of show, or the actual conformation of the dog(afterall, that is why the show is called a conformation show :p ).

Lizmo, have you ever seen the Golden breed ring? It is a HUGE handler breed, I believe. Takes alot of dogs to make a major, and takes a very good dog and handler to beat all those dogs.. which is why you see so many prof. handlers in the breed. Can be extremely hard to finish an owner handled dogs in Goldens, if I'm not mistaken.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Goldens, German Shepherds, and Shelties are the three major breeds that are in this area. They are usually hard to get points on unless you have a structurally sound and amazing movement type of dog.

Some breeds are hard to get a title at a young age like a belgian - they grow soo differently, their coats are very different as well then other breeds.

Corgis on the other hand, are fairly easy to title around here, not huge competition and they grow fairly stable from what I can tell.

But, as rabbitsarebetter have said..

Am Ch - American Championship
Can Ch - Canadian Championship
BIS - Best In Show
BPIG - Best Puppy in Group
etc etc..

Lizmo

Water Junkie
So are you guys saying that it is very hard to place with an owner handled Golden? :confused: :(

Well, I am thinking about either a Golden or a Cocker for show! :)

A Golden will be my first choise though ;)

showpug

If you want to get into showing, you absolutley can not live without this book!!!! IT IS THE BEST BOOK FOR BEGINNERS! It explains everything so nicely with pictures etc. They give you all the vocabulary used in the show world and what it means. The book also explains how to train a show dog, what to take to the shows, how the shows work, how you accumulate points, the different classes to enter and so much more. This book saved me in the beginning. Even if you are years away, get it. It's a great book!!! Raising A Champion, A beginner's guide to showing dogs. http://www.thewelltraineddog.com/

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If you want to get into showing, you absolutley can not live without this book!!!! IT IS THE BEST BOOK FOR BEGINNERS! It explains everything so nicely with pictures etc. They give you all the vocabulary used in the show world and what it means. The book also explains how to train a show dog, what to take to the shows, how the shows work, how you accumulate points, the different classes to enter and so much more. This book saved me in the beginning. Even if you are years away, get it. It's a great book!!! Raising A Champion, A beginner's guide to showing dogs. http://www.thewelltraineddog.com/

Thanks Showpug!!! :D That looks like a REALLY good book! Do I hear Christmas Present :p :D

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I am telling you, you will LOVE it. It's big, with pictures and so easy to understand. Ask for it!!!

Oh I am going to! :D :p

I hope I get it....if not....that is what some of my Christmas money is going to :D

So what do you think of Showing Goldens....every one says they are a very hard to place? :(

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
As far as the golden thing goes, go for it! If a golden is what you really want, then get a golden. Because this is your first dog that you are going to show I wouldn't worry so much about getting titles as getting experience (most obedience competitors don't get an OTCH on their first dog, etc.), and you are going to be living with the dog even when you aren't showing, so if a golden is what would fit best into your life, get a golden. Just my opinion of course :) .

Lizmo

Water Junkie
As far as the golden thing goes, go for it! If a golden is what you really want, then get a golden. Because this is your first dog that you are going to show I wouldn't worry so much about getting titles as getting experience (most obedience competitors don't get an OTCH on their first dog, etc.), and you are going to be living with the dog even when you aren't showing, so if a golden is what would fit best into your life, get a golden. Just my opinion of course :) .

You know...that make a lot of sence! :D Thanks!

Oh and Yes...he/she would be living with me...MY dog :)

I am also thinking of the Golden being a Show and Therapy dog... :)

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
The reason it's difficult to win in goldens (in AKC at least) is that the point structure is set up so that only one bitch and one dog can receive points at a show.

You enter your class (let's say your bitch is in 9-12 puppy bitches). There may be half a dozen puppies in the class, and you win. That seems like it should be worth something, but you don't get ANY points for that. What they do is take the winners from all the various classes for bitches (puppy classes, bred by exhibitor, open, novice, american bred) and then those bitches compete together for Winner's Bitch. That's the female that then gets the points, and the number of points depends on the number of bitches that compete. Each area has a schedule of points based on how many dogs of that breed typically show in that area.

They do the same thing with the dogs - the winner of each class goes in together and the winner gets Winner's Dog and is awarded the points.

Then both Winner's Bitch and Winner's Dog go in for the Best in Breed competition against any specials that may have entered - specials being dogs and bitches who already have their championships and don't have to compete in the individual classes. If you take Best of Breed, Best of Opposite Sex or Best of Winners you may receive additional points (again, based on the number of dogs). Maximum number of points at any one show is five. A major is 3-5 points.

You may also receive points if you take a Group 1 win.

Now, if you consider how popular goldens are and how many you must compete against, if you don't have a fairly superior animal then you are probably just going to be "point fodder" for the other goldens. There's nothing wrong with this as you will gain experience and that's a good thing, but if you lose all the time it sure gets old. Starting with a breed that isn't quite so popular will give you more likelihood of picking up some points, but it also can be difficult to get the majors if there aren't enough of the breed around to push the numbers up to the point where winners get at least three points.

I have a chow that I've shown in conformation and she's pointed, but unless she takes a group win she can't get a major here in Alaska because we don't have enough chows showing up here. I would have to travel to the lower 48 states to show her and that's just not worth it to me. So I am doing performance with her instead (I prefer it anyway) and I'll pop her in a conformation show once in awhile just to see what happens. I have to pick and choose my judges too - unfortunately there are a lot of chow judges out there who just pick the heaviest head. They're called "head hunters" and Khana doesn't stand a chance because she has a more open, lovely face devoid of wrinkles.

You can read up more on AKC shows at http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/index.cfm

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

showpug

It may be harder to get points on a Golden, but don't let it discourage you. Learn with your dog. When you are looking for a Golden pup to show, just try your hardest to seek out the best possible prospect available from champion parents. Yes, if you are patient you will find a breeder that will work with you and mentor you. You just need to let them know that you are serious about showing etc. Goldens are great pets and make beautiful show dogs. I agree with the previous poster that told you to get the right dog for your lifestyle and worry about the showing second. Points or no points, the show ring is still a lot of fun and at the end of the day you have a great pet to warm your couch and your heart. :)

Have you ever been to a dog show? You may want to ask your parents to take you to one so you can watch sometime. You can look up the time and ring that Goldens are showing at and you can watch them. This will give you a better feel for things and it's a lot of fun to go shopping at the shows for cool dog toys and supplies. I can let you know what shows are in your area if you would like.

showpug

I thought I would let you know the show schedule for Alabama for the next 6 months. I don't know if any of these are near you, but figured I would post anyway.

Nov 11th & 12th Priceville, AL
Nov 18th & 19th Mobile, AL
Nov 25th & 26th Montgomery, AL

Apr 7th & 8th Brierfield, AL
Apr 28th & 29th Montgomery, AL

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
goldens are extremely popular, but you have to remember that some of the dogs in the ring are not going to be of a high quality for a golden,

there are certain ways to show a dog, to bring out his best points and try and hide his weekest points, you would want to find a kennel to help you and teach you how to show a golden

you would need to find a kennel to get a truly superior golden from, that would make it so much easier to title

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I thought I would let you know the show schedule for Alabama for the next 6 months. I don't know if any of these are near you, but figured I would post anyway.

Nov 11th & 12th Priceville, AL
Nov 18th & 19th Mobile, AL
Nov 25th & 26th Montgomery, AL

Apr 7th & 8th Brierfield, AL
Apr 28th & 29th Montgomery, AL

Montgomery is about an hour from me....but Mobile is about 4 hours away :(

Not sure about the other places though :D

Thanks SO much showpug! You are giving me so much info! :D

Members online

No members online now.