Pit Bull Pamphlet!

Miakoda

In the Floyd Boudreaux case, as far as I know, his case still hasn't even gone to trial yet. But his dogs were dead within, what, a week?
Floyd's dogs were all destroyed within 48 hours with the majority being destroyed within the first 24 hours. The case hasn't gone to trial because the so called "evidence" that the LA-SPCA & HSUS supposedly had on him just isn't there. I'm not trying to start a debate because we all know who he is & what he used to do before the Animal Welfare Act was passed. I'm just trying to make a point that he was brought down for what he used to do (& right or wrong, it was legal then) not for what he was doing. I believe the biggest thing now is trying to say he was knowingly breeding dogs to fight but IMO that's like saying gun manufacturers knowingly produce guns so people can murder others with them.

But I see Baha's point. Not long after the Floyd bust, 2 firefighters in Shreveport were busted for dogfighting as well by the LASPCA & HSUS. Their dogs were shot where they stood & bagged & numbered where they fell. The kicker to this story? They were acquitted of all charges because their wasn't any factual hard evidence to state otherwise. So not only were their good names ruined, but they & their children watched their dogs get murdered. However, the point wasn't to actually convict the owners but moreso to get rid of the dogs......IMO. And this is a very scary occurance to me as it could be ANY of us that this happens to thanks to the "rid the world of pit bulls" mentality.

pancho

Floyd's dogs were all destroyed within 48 hours with the majority being destroyed within the first 24 hours. The case hasn't gone to trial because the so called "evidence" that the LA-SPCA & HSUS supposedly had on him just isn't there. I'm not trying to start a debate because we all know who he is & what he used to do before the Animal Welfare Act was passed. I'm just trying to make a point that he was brought down for what he used to do (& right or wrong, it was legal then) not for what he was doing. I believe the biggest thing now is trying to say he was knowingly breeding dogs to fight but IMO that's like saying gun manufacturers knowingly produce guns so people can murder others with them.

But I see Baha's point. Not long after the Floyd bust, 2 firefighters in Shreveport were busted for dogfighting as well by the LASPCA & HSUS. Their dogs were shot where they stood & bagged & numbered where they fell. The kicker to this story? They were acquitted of all charges because their wasn't any factual hard evidence to state otherwise. So not only were their good names ruined, but they & their children watched their dogs get murdered. However, the point wasn't to actually convict the owners but moreso to get rid of the dogs......IMO. And this is a very scary occurance to me as it could be ANY of us that this happens to thanks to the "rid the world of pit bulls" mentality.
In Floyd's case there has been evidence for many years that he was a dog fighter. The animal welfare act did nothing either way for Floyd. He just ignored it the best he could. Time and talk just added up to much for him and it wasn't possible to ignore him any longer. His problem was the many people on the web liked to talk too much.
If you know Floyd you know that he was still doing the same as he always did. Just one look around his trailer would show anyone the truth. It was just a case of a person doing something for so long they thought they could get away with it forever. He was wrong.

Miakoda

In Floyd's case there has been evidence for many years that he was a dog fighter. The animal welfare act did nothing either way for Floyd. He just ignored it the best he could. Time and talk just added up to much for him and it wasn't possible to ignore him any longer. His problem was the many people on the web liked to talk too much.
If you know Floyd you know that he was still doing the same as he always did. Just one look around his trailer would show anyone the truth. It was just a case of a person doing something for so long they thought they could get away with it forever. He was wrong.

Hm. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I want to apologize for taking this thread somewhat off target. Now, back to your regularly schedulted educational programming.;)

I don't think its terribly off-topic just yet. I think its important for potential Pit Bull owners to realize the position they're putting themselves into, and to be aware that what would be normal for other dog owners -- like walking your dog on a leash -- is suspect when there's a Pit Bull involved. I try to live like a normal person, but in the back of my mind, but these kinds of things are always in the back of my mind.

Oh Great! This phamplet is just what I needed. Our family just accepted a 10 week old pitbull as our newest family member. According to the person who gave us this puppy, his parents are full apbt however this little guy has really fluffy hair. My parents, my husbands parents, just about every that is involved in our family, are freaking about because we have a five year old and 2 year old. I am a responcible dog owner, I raised a big teddy bear of a rhott, and I've worked at an after hours animal emergency hospital in the past. This phamplet is exactly what I need to give my family something short, sweet, and to the point to read. Thanks again!

Anything to bring a positive image to this breed is a GREAT thing. I have worked with Pits as far as corrective and behavioural training goes, and i have to say that aside from Dobes and Belgian Shepherds, i have never worked with a more satisfying, LOYAL and TRUSTWORTHY breed of dog. Why don't the papers print this?

All Bull Terriers are dogs, and all dogs are the best thing since sliced bread in my view, only a person can butter it on the wrong side :)

Deedlit

What I have found with Pits is that they are the biggest people pleasers on the face of the earth. They have been bred to get along better with humans that with dogs, and therefore when given a task by their owner (i.e. dog fights OR guard my family, etc.) they will do it to the death and hardly even bat an eye.

Last edited:

Shadow945

Well I agree when you say pit bulls are very loyal, maybe even more than other dogs. But I don't think 99 out of 100 pit bulls would attack on command. I think that comes from abuse and training

msm4

Bostons rock!
This is so sad! I love Pit Bulls and I know they are really great dogs! You just have to be careful with them.

Amstaffer

You just have to be careful with them.
You have to be careful with any dog who is raised by bad owners. You don't have to be more careful with my dogs than other dogs. Sal and Athena are most trustworthy, stable and forgiving than any other dogs I know or have owned.

Dog-Training-Outlet

Dog-Training-Outlet.com
Thanks for the breed info. It's really true in most species they react the way they've been trained to react. Unfortunately the breed has received a lot of bad press due to the breeds misuse by cruel and ignorant people.

Members online

No members online now.