Oh, school!

SpringerLover

Today in class I "learned" that Great Danes come in Merle (because, you know... the harlequin dogs have black noses and merle have white noses). We took a quick look at the AKC website after a classmated piped up with that.

I also "learned" that Dalmatian is spelled with an "O." Because our school-produced handout would never be wrong. We looked that up on the AKC's website as well.

We learned about dog breeds today and it was rather interesting to hear what my classmates knew/didn't know/thought they knew about the different breeds. I'm kind of excited for this test. I don't have to study, at all. Hooray?!

SaraB

LOL, glad I wasn't the only one excited to take the breed identification test! My entire class was super bummed that they had to not only ID the breeds, but spell them right AND list characteristics about them. I was more than happy to oblige!

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
xD We also had a dog breeds ID test for our school, the only thing I never had to study for. But then... we had to do HORSE breeds. I don't know about you guys but all horses look the same to me (I can at least distinguish between a draft horse and a "regular" horse)... since the flashcard images and the exam images are identical, I started memorizing things in the background instead of characteristics of the actual horse ("Oh, the Trakehner had a blue bucket off to the side. The Thoroughbred is wearing a red harness.")

SpringerLover

Ahaha, the things people "know." But that class sounds like a blast! Is it for a veterinary program, or?
Yeah, it's for my vet tech program.

Most of my class was like "how do you know this stuff?!" And I just say, "it's a byproduct of competing with dogs."

I don't know my cat breeds AS well so I do actually need to study those but all of these dog breeds were very straight forward.

MicksMom

Merlequins are primarily white based with merle splotches. Merles are a "solid" merle with or without white markings.
Interesting. Thank-you for explaining that. The funny thing is, the person who told me about merlequins had what, according to your explaination, is a merle. The puppy labled a merle in the link has more white than he did/does (not sure he's even alive still. He was in our puppy classes about 8 or 9 years ago).

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Lmao I loved the breed identification test. Rocked the crap out of that one.

The cat breeds were a different story (cat breeds?? Cats come in breeds?!).

SaraB

It's not allowable in the confo rings, but it still occurs.
This. Merle is a natural by product of breeding for harls. A harl is a merle genetically with an added modifier.

AKC doesn't know s***.

In a normal Harl x mantle breeding, 25% of the puppies will be merle.

Here is a detailed site showing great dane color genetics for any fellow genetics nerds out there.

http://www.chromadane.com/ColorPunnettSquaresDoc.htm

We learned about dog breeds today and it was rather interesting to hear what my classmates knew/didn't know/thought they knew about the different breeds. I'm kind of excited for this test. I don't have to study, at all. Hooray?!
LOL, glad I wasn't the only one excited to take the breed identification test! My entire class was super bummed that they had to not only ID the breeds, but spell them right AND list characteristics about them. I was more than happy to oblige!
I loved my breed identification test - no studying at all! It was excellent.

The cat colors/patterns test on the other hand...yikes. When I look at cats...I see "Brown cat. White cat. Black cat." Nothing specific lol.

This. Merle is a natural by product of breeding for harls. A harl is a merle genetically with an added modifier.

AKC doesn't know s***.

In a normal Harl x mantle breeding, 25% of the puppies will be merle.

Here is a detailed site showing great dane color genetics for any fellow genetics nerds out there.

http://www.chromadane.com/ColorPunnettSquaresDoc.htm
That's an awesome site, Sara. I've always been kind of fascinated by the whole "color group" thing with Danes - it's so interesting.

Members online

No members online now.