Anyone ever heard of this?

Doberluv

Yup. Exactly Mandypug...whatdya know...just like the op's. Fishy. They're a dime a dozen, these kinds of quick fix, magical training videos that come with a guarantee. Sorry Susan for being so nasty. But we get these things posted from time to time with the same sort of results, the same gut feelings, the same discoveries in the end. Gotta listen to the good ole gut feeling you know. But feel free to post in your words your step by step method in as much detail as you can. I'd be interested.

Danefied

From the JCM website:
The following items will not be permitted for use in the class:

Leashes that are too short, too wide or too narrow for the dog being trained
Choke chains that are too large or too long for the dog being trained
Pinch collars that are too heavy for the intended dog
Nylon leashes and nylon or buckle collars
Can someone please explain this to me? I'm sure there is a perfectly logical reason why I can't train in a nylon collar... Perhaps Ms. Manino is allergic to nylon? Bless her heart, that must be a hardship in this industry....

Doberluv

Don't you get it? Nylon collars don't tend to cause enough pinching or strangulation. Leashes that are too wide or too narrow....hmmm, can't come up with anything there. I guess a too narrow leash might break or a too wide one might be too visible and then the dog will not be surprised enough when he gets yanked. Gotta have that shock value, ya know....

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
From the JCM website:

Can someone please explain this to me? I'm sure there is a perfectly logical reason why I can't train in a nylon collar... Perhaps Ms. Manino is allergic to nylon? Bless her heart, that must be a hardship in this industry....
I think it goes along with:
Any student who implements someone else's training techniques or method while attending our classes will not be allowed to continue in our program.

Any student who feels the need to contradict our training method, verbally or otherwise, during class will be asked to leave immediately.
When you're pushing outdated and abusive training methods, you don't want your clients to witness a dog being trained in a nylon collar. They might take their money elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Doberluv

Any student who implements someone else's training techniques or method while attending our classes will not be allowed to continue in our program.

Any student who feels the need to contradict our training method, verbally or otherwise, during class will be asked to leave immediately.

There ya have it...the same philosophy used on their dogs. Don't try it or else! Don't throw new behaviors or ask questions. Don't get out of line in any way, or you're finished! Shut down....learned helplessness all the way.

Danefied

Ah thank you Doberluv and Corgipower! I feel so enlightened now.

See, I've been going about this dog training thing all wrong. According to this clearly superior trainer, my children should not be allowed to train their dogs:
Because dog training takes concentration and commitment on the part of the owner, we ask that no child under the age of twelve (12) participate. Younger children must stay in the vehicle while on the training grounds.
Not to mention I don't have a safe crate to contain my under-12 children in while in the car - oh and those pesky child services people kind of frown on unattended children in cars for extended periods too...

This sort of thing must be a fluke I'm sure:

Yeah, yeah, I outed myself, its ouesi :)

Last edited:

Doberluv

Great photos! Yeah, lock your under 12 yr old in the car. Nice.

Sheesh! I trained my first dog when I was about 9 years old. He learned to sit, stay, heel, come, down, fetch, go get me a carrot out of the vegetable garden for the horse. He went riding with me next to the horse I trained, also when I was pretty young. Horses are more dangerous than most dogs. I'm all for supervision but to lock a kid up in a car? Wow! More abuse. That little guy in the photos is obviously wonderful with his dog and just look how the dog is lovin' every minute. I'd wager that most kids would have more patience than a lot of adults with their dogs, more understanding. A lot of trainers (like this one sounds) take training wa-y-y-y-y too seriously. For me, it's always been about having fun.

Dekka

Just try me..
yes keep children away from dogs!!

They might start running dogs competitively at 7 YouTube - Dundreggen's Channel (at home practice, no luring, no fencing, intact male JRT), its a short step from agility to drugs and delinquency.

And watch out. Next thing you know they will want their own dog and be all responsible and stuff!

Oh the horrors, a young child training his own rescue BC!! Better lock him up and keep them separate.

(really how sad would that be?)

Danefied

That little guy in the photos is obviously wonderful with his dog and just look how the dog is lovin' every minute.
They have trust issues. Its sad really....

And dominance issues too. See the dog clearly dominating the poor unsuspecting kid. So sad...

Sorry, I just have zero patience for this kind of idiocity.

Doberluv

Super pics Dekka. Yeah, how pathetic that dude is to keep dogs and kids away from each other. Kids and dogs. Kids and dogs. That's how it's always been. We got our first dog as a married couple when my daughter was one and a half...a GSD. She was wonderful with him and he with her. (Kids can be trained too)

Terrifically cute pictures!

Doberluv

Awwww...Danefield. I missed that last post. What adorable pictures. Yup....definitely a dangerous and confusing situation for the dog. Kids aren't serious enough for dogs. After all, we know how serious dogs take life. *sarcasm*

Doberluv

I've got something too:

Domineering Lab...very dangerous.

Big kid. You can see how miserable his dog is and what a look of distrust is on her face:

You can tell this dog would be less confused if kid were locked in a car. (of course, he's over 12. Maybe that's why)

Wha? Under 12 and not locked up in a car? How damaging to the dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
in my classes I have taught kids and dogs. Darien, my son has taken classes with his dog too. (group classes no less) If your training facility can't handle real life situations what is the point of sending family dogs there?

Oh and a few more kids and dogs..

Darien and a Chaz dog (which one?)

Dekka doesnt' look pleased but hey maybe thats cause he's near her?

Oh another chaz dog. OMG competing with a dog IN PUBLIC with a child under 10 oh noes!

Sigh...

Doberluv

Those dogs are clearly confused and miserable. Better get those kids away and lock 'em up.:rolleyes::p

Honestly, those are adorable pictures and they are proof how well kids and dogs can (and should) go together. (as long as parents are as good as we are...lol...and teach kids to not mistreat or cause harm to dogs)

I think Dekka looks pleased in every way except she looks like she's blinking her eyes just in case some evil water gets splashed in them. That's a really cute picture.

Danefied

These pictures are great! Just loooove the baby pics!

Yeah, its kind of hard to teach the 12 and under crowd a proper leash pop. Not to mention what a lovely value to instill in your child.

Fortunately dogs are capable of learning in other ways ;)

OK, i think these "trainers" are a bit off, but does not allowing kids really warrant this much "discussion" I can think of quite a few reasons not to allow kids. For one, it can be a liability, they may not want the distraction and believe it or not, some people really enjoy NOT having kids around at every event. Me personally, i love them. We have kids from younger than year all the way up to 60 year olds that act like kids in our club. But not everyone does.

but most importantly, when training a dog new behaviors it is better to have one person teach those behaviors till they become "trained" then pass them off to others. Sure you can do it with multiple people, it just causes some confusion and usually it takes longer. I think everyone could agree on that.

surely there are other things about these "trainers" that can be ridiculed other than the fact they don't allow young kids at training?

Danefied

OK, i think these "trainers" are a bit off, but does not allowing kids really warrant this much "discussion"
Yes actually, for me it does. I have a TDI certified dog who can no longer do the school visits he's been doing without incident, and educate kids (in an area that desperately needs it) because a new principal came in and decided that kids and dogs don't need to mix. I can come give a presentation "without" the dog. Like 1st graders are going to get much out of that.
We have also encountered tremendous resistance to reading with dogs programs and therapy programs for autistic kids. All again because people in this community are under the impression that for whatever reason a dog is not to be trusted around kids.

I can think of quite a few reasons not to allow kids. For one, it can be a liability, they may not want the distraction and believe it or not, some people really enjoy NOT having kids around at every event.
I can think of a bunch more reasons TO allow kids than to NOT allow kids. I'm sure it IS a liablility to have a 7 year old collar pop or alpha roll a dog. I guess I ought to give this trainer kudos for at least realizing that. I don't buy the distraction thing though. Isn't that kind of the point of a group class? To proof what you have taught under distractions? Not to mention the wonderful opportunity to socialize your dog to kids in a controlled setting.
but most importantly, when training a dog new behaviors it is better to have one person teach those behaviors till they become "trained" then pass them off to others. Sure you can do it with multiple people, it just causes some confusion and usually it takes longer. I think everyone could agree on that.
But that's the thing - kids *can* be that someone who does the initial training. And why shouldn't they be? Dogs who get sent off to be trained by professionals don't usually turn out any better than those trained by non-pros who learned right along with the dog.

surely there are other things about these "trainers" that can be ridiculed other than the fact they don't allow young kids at training?
Oh, there's no shortage of fun stuff to ridicule, but the kids thing is what bugged me personally the most. :)

Members online

No members online now.