2 problems

gav223

Hi, I have a 6-month-old staff bull terrier and I’m having a few issues with him. I also have a 7-year-old rottwieller, but she is well behaved. This is the third dog that I have owned, but with the previous two they were never house trained in the conventional way. From pups they both lived outdoors and when they did come in the house they never really did anything. As they got older they just learnt themselves that in the house was not the place to use as a toilet. As the house I live in at the moment is being renovated, there were to many little places outside for the pup to get out, so for the last few months he has stayed inside. I have been told how to litter train him, but as the area that he should have been in, is the most used and it is also where we come in and out of the house it was really awkward. He now tends to go either out the kitchen or in the bathroom where the floors are tiled. It hasn’t bothered us that much as we know he will be going outside and only coming in when we are around. I’m hoping that he will learn, as he gets older not to go in the house. Is this ok or should I be doing something different.
The other problem I have is that I started yesterday to let him sleep outside at night with the other dog. They both have there own kennels and my other dog is perfectly fine out there. On both nights I have had to let him back in as after a few hours he has started barking continuously. I’m not sure what I should be doing. Should I ignore him, bring him in or maybe stay out there with him a few times. I can’t really ignore him for that long as I have neighbours, which will inevitably start complaining.
Many thanks.

The barking is probably either because of boredom or because he wants to be in the house. Most dogs prefer being indoors than outdoors. Is there a particular reason they need to be kept outdoors?

gav223

The main reason is that I do not want them in the house making a mess and possibly damaging things when i'm not around.

I suggest you consider crate training the younger one so that he can be inside at night and not barking outside. If you repeatedly bring him indoors after he has already begun barking outdoors, he will know that barking gets him something. Most dogs will bark when left outside, so just start training him to be in with you at night.

I would also say that every dog is different. You may not have had these problems with the other 2 dogs, but this one may be different. Consider consulting a good training book on the issue of house training and provide more structure to get the young dog started on the right path to being house trained. There really is no guarantee that any dog will just "learn on his own" no to go in the house, so I always suggest formal training for that issue.

gav223

Thanks Christin, 2 nights ago I left him outside at night and he barked for a bit and then stopped and last night he did not bark at all. The only worry I now have is that I think he is sleeping on the bare floor next to the back door and not in his kennel. At this time of year it's not to bad, but I hope he will go in there when it starts raining.
Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.