New Dog, Need Help

Romy

Taxiderpy
Where do you all stand on cropping/docking rocks for show? I think it's really cruel when people throw them in a tumbler just to get them all shiny. The natural look is a lot prettier, I think.

Dogs6

Plus One
What kind of health testing do you do?? And do you do a home inspection visit?
Generally health testing involves leaving them in the yard over winter to see if they survive. If so they they're considered healthy. Occasionally more strenuous testing is carried out, and then if the rock breaks it is removed from the breeding program. Home inspections are not necessary to purchase a pet rock. If you will pay the fee to buy one you are more than likely to care for it.

Do they come with a spay and neuter contract?
All pet rocks are spayed/neutered before they leave for their new homes. Regardless of whether they are show/ working prospects. The only exception would be if they are co-owned with me. I do not want my rare bloodlines to be diluted with common pet rocks.

Good point. I wonder about performance/working prospects though
Well I think they are mainly for companionship. But I guess if you trained it right and had one that was big and heavy enough it could be a good guardian pet.
My pet rocks are indeed bred mostly for companionship but they are very versatile rocks and capable of almost anything their owners require. They are amazingly good at obedience especially the stays. They are also very non aggressive although we are trying to introduce a larger strain for guardian purposes.

Do they come in merle?
Indeed they do although I have noticed an oddity in the merle rocks that they smell slightly like paint. I have had this checked out and there is nothing to worry about whatever and is perfectly normal for a merle pet rock.

I wouldn't try for dock diving.
Yes we have had some very unfortunate accidents with pet rocks trying to swim. So much so that we now have a rescue dog who's job is to swim out and retrieve drowning pet rocks. Occasionally he has made mistakes and brought back wild rocks instead. So for only slightly more than an ordinary pet rock you can purchase your wild hybrid pet rock today!!

Where do you all stand on cropping/docking rocks for show? I think it's really cruel when people throw them in a tumbler just to get them all shiny. The natural look is a lot prettier, I think.
I agree that the natural look is much better but if our customers request it we will of course crop and/or dock for them for a small fee.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
A.... Mastiff? REALLY? Please, stop helping, the owners of mastiffs will thank you for stopping
yes , most i know are chill and fine in apartments , did you read the rest , to socialize and train. you know help with the situation. telling someone who is obvilously going to get another dog not to will only make them say f us all and not get any education or help. if you try to help them , hey guess what , it may indeed help.

Teal

...ice road...
When the incident happened, he had gotten out the door when I was going to do laundry. He had done that a few times, but without problems.]/QUOTE]

This, right here, says that you can not handle a dog responsibly. You allowed him to get out "A FEW TIMES" and based on previous posts, you were WELL aware of his dog aggression. If he had gotten out "a few" times previously with no incident, then you had "a few" forewarnings and opportunities to learn how to handle your dog, and you failed your dog. Most people never get "a few" chances to fix their mistakes. Please, for the love of Dog, don't go out and get ANY terrier or guardian breed because they're likely to become a statistic, and frankly, I'm getting tired of writing letters to everyones' congressmen.

THIS, a MILLION TIMES OVER. I cannot believe what I am reading from the OP.

A responsible dog owner is NOT someone who allows their dog to get loose, ever. ESPECIALLY a dog with dog/dog issues. And you're talking about getting a Pit Bull type dog?! :yikes:

I really don't think you should get ANY dog. I feel absolutely HORRIBLE for the dog you just "got rid of" because you utterly and entirely FAILED that poor dog. He'd already been through multiple homes, and there you go... sending him off to yet another, because you couldn't be bothered to be a proper owner.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
yes , most i know are chill and fine in apartments , did you read the rest , to socialize and train. you know help with the situation. telling someone who is obvilously going to get another dog not to will only make them say f us all and not get any education or help. if you try to help them , hey guess what , it may indeed help.
Shouldn't you educate yourself first?

"hey, get a mastiff! You cant handle a small dog, but get a huge one, this way, when your dog attacks the neighbors dog again, you won't have to worry about the neighbors dog cause it won't be alive!"

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!

"hey, get a mastiff! You cant handle a small dog, but get a huge one, this way, when your dog attacks the neighbors dog again, you won't have to worry about the neighbors dog cause it won't be alive!"
Also, it's a known fact that larger breeds have more health issues.

The OP's lease ends in October, and they cannot afford to move out early. If they can't afford to break their lease (or double pay rent until it ends) to keep their previous dog, than how in the world will they be able to afford a (very) expensive puppy? Heck, we spend over $100 a month feeding 55lbs of dogs. English Mastiffs weigh 120-250lbs... I can only begin to imagine the cost in food!

Let's take a rough guess and say that an English Mastiff (or any purebred dog, really), is going to cost over $1000 from a responsible breeder. Factor in vaccines, spay/neuter, and the cost of dog food over a year. We're looking at at least $2000 in costs. Throw in an emergency vet visit for bloat and we're close to $5000 in costs.

Most apartment complexes have size limitations as well. Around here, it's common for them to only allow dogs under 25 or 50lbs. Can't really sneak an 150lb dog around a complex where they're not allowed.

What a stellar idea.

I'll also recommend the pet rock. Maybe a pebble sized one that can be carried around in a pocket, to ensure it won't get loose and clobber the other rocks in the apartment complex.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok... I think there is a more than valid point in being guilty in not watching their original dog. It IS their responsibility, and I'd be MIGHTY pissed off if my dog received a puncture to her cheek, small or not. And yes I might even have reported it too.

I also second the opinion that now is not the right time to get a dog and definitely NOT right to get a more difficult breed.. NO WAY.

However - I think suggesting they get a pet rock is actually just being a bit of a dick and pretty much like bullying. Let's all point fingers and laugh, and maybe just make this person feel even more sh!t that they have just lost their dog - which they CLEARLY loved. Regardless of HOW it happened - it is a life lesson.... I am pretty sure they will not do it again.

You can all get your point across without resorting to being stupid and cruel I am pretty sure.

I thought this was a place to educate and help people??? There are TONS of people on this board who have done stupid things and made stupid decisions in the past.... and GROWN UP and become RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE they came on this board. Even if it took a bit of time.

So how about we all stop being the school yard mob and offer something constructive without being a tit.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Eh, there are plenty of good posts.

I think the pet rock is a snarky and unhelpful post, I don't however think anything said (aside from GSD shed a lot) has appeared to help the OP rethink their unwise jump into owning a "dangerous" dog after their previous small dog got out repeatedly and attacked a neighboring dog subsequently gaining itself a one-way ticket to one-strike-you're-out-city.

Snark happens, especially when the general audience is appalled, just as you are, but I haven't seen a genuine lack of care and lack of input offered up.

That said, by all means OP, I really think you should take the advice of getting involved with rescue - an all breed one - and educating yourself.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I really feel like the OP should wait to get another dog.

He adopted his first dog in May of this year... meaning he only had him for less than 2 months. He's made a thread about wanting to move to a different state and will live in an apartment there as well.

My vote would be for the OP to hold off on getting his own dog. Maybe he can volunteer with a local rescue group to walk the dogs/socialize them to become more familiar with dogs. Then, once he's settled into one area, adopt a calm adult dog. I just think a puppy (especially a large and difficult breed) is a bad idea. Had his schnauzer-mix been a Rottie, it could've been some bad publicity for the breed =/

Just my two cents :)

yoko

Had his schnauzer-mix been a Rottie, it could've been some bad publicity for the breed =/
It wouldn't have just been bad publicity the dog probably would have been ordered to be destroyed.

There is quite a bit of good info here but the only thing the OP had even acknowledged is the shedding issue. So if no advice is being taken or at least even acknowledged I really don't see the reason everyone else has to take the thread serious if the OP themself isn't.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Ok... I think there is a more than valid point in being guilty in not watching their original dog. It IS their responsibility, and I'd be MIGHTY pissed off if my dog received a puncture to her cheek, small or not. And yes I might even have reported it too.

I also second the opinion that now is not the right time to get a dog and definitely NOT right to get a more difficult breed.. NO WAY.

However - I think suggesting they get a pet rock is actually just being a bit of a dick and pretty much like bullying. Let's all point fingers and laugh, and maybe just make this person feel even more sh!t that they have just lost their dog - which they CLEARLY loved. Regardless of HOW it happened - it is a life lesson.... I am pretty sure they will not do it again.

You can all get your point across without resorting to being stupid and cruel I am pretty sure.

I thought this was a place to educate and help people??? There are TONS of people on this board who have done stupid things and made stupid decisions in the past.... and GROWN UP and become RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE they came on this board. Even if it took a bit of time.

So how about we all stop being the school yard mob and offer something constructive without being a tit.
Eh, personally, Im still waiting to see how the dog was loved. Did they love the IDEA of a dog? Absolutely. Did they love THIS dog? I find that hard to believe.

1) they set the dog up to fail, when the dog failed, won't own up to the fact that they failed the dog -- blames the owners of the dog who was doing nothing and got attacked in its own building

2) they are told to get rid of the dog within 24 hours; they jump and do it with no evidence of them even trying to find a solution to keep the dog

3) within a day of the dog leaving, coming on and saying they want to replace the dog -- a loved do could and would NEVER be replaced.

4) still won't own up and blames the dogs past and "there was nothing I could do", despite having said dog for a whole 2 months

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Eh, personally, Im still waiting to see how the dog was loved. Did they love the IDEA of a dog? Absolutely. Did they love THIS dog? I find that hard to believe.

1) they set the dog up to fail, when the dog failed, won't own up to the fact that they failed the dog -- blames the owners of the dog who was doing nothing and got attacked in its own building

2) they are told to get rid of the dog within 24 hours; they jump and do it with no evidence of them even trying to find a solution to keep the dog

3) within a day of the dog leaving, coming on and saying they want to replace the dog -- a loved do could and would NEVER be replaced.

4) still won't own up and blames the dogs past and "there was nothing I could do", despite having said dog for a whole 2 months

Have you looked at their previous threads?

And as I said.. it often takes time for people to learn and change. All people.... even those who don't think mocking people for their actions is wrong.

eta - I am not PC. Far from it.. but there's having a laugh and making fun.. and they are two different things.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Have you looked at their previous threads?

And as I said.. it often takes time for people to learn and change. All people.... even those who don't think mocking people for their actions is wrong.

eta - I am not PC. Far from it.. but there's having a laugh and making fun.. and they are two different things.
:rofl1:

Please, show me one post where I was mocking and laughing at the OP. please, do. I was having a conversation with other people about pet rocks, Pretty sure I never mentioned the op in any of them, MAYBE one point I said I think a pet rock would be best.

Frankly, if you think it's ok to fail dogs, dump them, then tuen around and get another, you are more than entitled to that opinion. We are more than entitled to trying to save another dog from the same -- or worse -- fate as Cthulu. Yet notice how none of us have called you stupid for a (IMO) stupid opinion.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.

Shows your education level to call names. anyway i will not be responding because i know these are jabs to get me to tell you off again and i like it here and will not let you win.

anyway , carry on i will ignore you and your mistress.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Shows your education level to call names. anyway i will not be responding because i know these are jabs to get me to tell you off again and i like it here and will not let you win.

anyway , carry on i will ignore you and your mistress.
What? Where did she call you a name? :confused:

Members online