breaking up a dog fight?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I'm not sure where to post this, but does anyone know the proper way to break one's dog away from a dog fight?

I'm only asking because my husband and I took Buddy to the dog park for the first time Saturday and a dog "attacked" him; had him cornered, whimpering/yelping and he was trying his best to get to my husband and I. When he did finally break free and got to us, he slithered between my legs and cowered. Of course, I was protective and asked the owner after the THIRD time to keep his dog away if he couldn't play nice. Anyways, the owner said the dog was playing but I corrected him and told him to learn about a dog's body language. But if the situation would have been more severe, rather, if we ever run into a situation that is more severe (although I certainly hope we don't) how is the situation to be probably handled? I eventually picked all of 40+ pounds of Buddy up off the ground and took him away from the dog. The owner then left with his dog. If I'm wrong, don't yell, just correct me please. :)

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Difficult situation, but definitely one you'll come across again in your future, with idiotic owners who don't know how to handle their dogs, or, as you said read their body language.

First of all, yes, picking up your dog was the wrong thing to do but the only choice you felt you had under the circumstances. The reason it was wrong is because in doing so you physically placed your dog higher than the other dog - which to dogs, is the dominant position. The other dog may well have jumped to regain his dominance, biting or otherwise hurting you in the process.

Obviously in a public place it's a bit hard to carry a blanket around, but the best way of breaking up dogs fighting is to throw a blanket or rug over them. It confuses them and makes it harder to see and coordinate, which will give you the opportunity to quell the attack.

Also, spraying water with a hose is effective too - again, difficult when you're at the park!!

In these scenarios, just trying to distract the attacking dog is really all you can do. You don't want to physically get in between them or you will come off fourth best, and sometimes it's just not possible to pull the attacking dog off anyway - and this leaves you at a very great risk for being hurt yourself.

I would carry a largish water bottle, and drench or spray the instigating dog. This would be a good distraction, and would hopefully hold things off until the irresponsible owner arrives. If they have a problem with it, just ask politely for their dog's registration and name, and their name and address. Say if their dog is only playing and well behaved, you're sure they won't have a problem with you checking with the local authorities to make sure that the dog is properly registered and to report the incident, just in case you need to take your dog to a vet.

That should shut them up quick smart.

oriondw

user not active
If you are weak:

Dogs will usually lock themselves when fighting standing on rear legs.

Take one dog and using a leash attach the leash to some place where dog is leashed to something he cant take out.

Now take other dog by lash and pull it away.

For experience/Strong:

Take both dogs collars by hand and twist them like a noose.

I dont reccomend the second method because it requires a certain degree of strength and agility.

What you describe wasnt really a dog fight, it was more of one dog just attacking yours.

Brattina88

Well, with a REAL dog fight I have to disagree with your advice Orion. If you try and grab a dogs collar while they are fighting you are going to get bit.
The safest way to break up a dogfight requires 2 people. Each person grabs the back feet, and/or the base of the tail of one of the dogs. The dog back feet are then picked up like a wheelbarrow. With the legs up, both dogs are then pulled apart; Up and back, it throws off their balance and you can pull them back enough so they can't come in contact with eachother.

The water bottle idea can work. I always stick one in my bag when I go places like a dog park, pets mart, or training classes. It needs to be set so it squirts out a straight stream, and during a fight it will have no effect unless its shot right at the face, in the eyes even. Sometimes this does not even work, however.
I probably would've squirted the other dog if he kept coming at my dog, especilly if you spoke to the owner and they did nothing.

Picking up your dog worked in this situation, and I'm glad, but you are very lucky. There's always a chance the other dog jumps up on you to continue fighting, and you'll get injured as well.

HTH

oriondw

user not active
Brattina88 said:
Well, with a REAL dog fight I have to disagree with your advice Orion. If you try and grab a dogs collar while they are fighting you are going to get bit.
The safest way to break up a dogfight requires 2 people. Each person grabs the back feet, and/or the base of the tail of one of the dogs. The dog back feet are then picked up like a wheelbarrow. With the legs up, both dogs are then pulled apart; Up and back, it throws off their balance and you can pull them back enough so they can't come in contact with eachother.

The water bottle idea can work. I always stick one in my bag when I go places like a dog park, pets mart, or training classes. It needs to be set so it squirts out a straight stream, and during a fight it will have no effect unless its shot right at the face, in the eyes even. Sometimes this does not even work, however.
I probably would've squirted the other dog if he kept coming at my dog, especilly if you spoke to the owner and they did nothing.

Picking up your dog worked in this situation, and I'm glad, but you are very lucky. There's always a chance the other dog jumps up on you to continue fighting, and you'll get injured as well.

HTH
I've broke up dozens of dog fights...

If the fight is between dogs that are extremely strong and can literally kill the other dog in matter of seconds... You have to act and save the dogs from each other.
Only got bit once, by a doberman, luckily he had filed teeth.

There is a easy way of taking a dog by collar from behind that it cant move his head and bite you back. Thats why I said its not a method for weak or inexperienced people.

If the fight is serious, water is USELESS, unless you have a fire engine spraying the dogs.

There is a nice spray that is based on citrus stuff. I forget its name, but I've seen it being used.

Picking up the dog can be very dangerous.

In your situation with very submissive dog where another dog is more likely to aggress at you, I would carry a dog MACE spray. Can be very effective against non-determined dogs (98% of them).

Im talking from experience of breaking up dogs that are 100+ LB

T

tessa_s212

Brattina88 said:

HTH
Agreed. If you have hold of the dogs legs properly you also can't risk yourself getting bit.

Brattina88

I guess I wasn't very clear in my post. While your advice may work for you and I, I wouldn't recomend it to others because there is a certain way to do it, but if done incorrectly they WILL get bit, and I didn't want to risk it. Of course If the fight is serious, water is USELESS, your right, but I was going on the notion that the other dog was bugging her dog, and if her dog attempted to deffend hisself. . .
the dogs she is talking about don't seem to be intending to kill like dogs you and I have experiance breaking up...
A lot of dogs make a lot of noise and push around if there goal isn't to fight until death

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
A can of pepper - regular pepper from a store - can be very effective in a dog fight too, and it's something you can carry in your pocket.

Spritz the pepper liberally into the faces of the dogs.

If someone is watching the body language, a fight should be averted before it even starts. I have to admit some concern about someone giving advice who has had to break up "dozens of dog fights" .. there shouldn't be that many dog fights if you really know what you're doing.

I've worked with literally thousands of dogs in classes and other training sessions and there haven't even been a dozen true fights during the past 17 years. I see the body language and I re-direct before anything happens.

By the way, anyone taking their dog to a dog park needs to be proactive with your dog. If there's a pushy dog on the grounds, then you need to either remove your dog or deal with the situation in a way that lets the pushy dog know that they aren't to get after your dog. I've found carrying a stock stick is effective too. When the pushy dog heads for my dog, I head for the pushy dog and let them know that I don't accept the attitude. It's not a matter of hitting the dog, but using the stick as an emphasis (hitting it against the ground, blocking the path of the dog, etc.) to let the dog know that I am not going to allow the nonsense.

If a dog is truly aggressive, it shouldn't be at the dog park .. most of what you see in those places are just pushy dogs that are a bit more dominant and some like to pick on the more submissive dogs. I just stop that in its tracks. If the owner doesn't like it, then that's their problem. I'm there to make sure my dog is safe and happy.

Personally I think people are better off setting play times for their dog with other safe dogs that they already know. That "free-for-all" concept of a dog park can be dangerous and can cause behavioral problems in dogs that previously didn't have problems.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

oriondw

user not active
IliamnasQuest said:
If someone is watching the body language, a fight should be averted before it even starts. I have to admit some concern about someone giving advice who has had to break up "dozens of dog fights" .. there shouldn't be that many dog fights if you really know what you're doing.
Lets just say I used to go in places with LOADS of untrained dogs and I apperantly I was the only one there who acted when dogs got in fights instead of just standing there.

My dog never starts fights anyways.

oriondw

user not active
I think best bet is to either get MACE spray or a tool like a stick, or shock stick.

MACE will work 100% (on dog park dogs ) of the time if the situation gets out of control.

D

Dobiegurl

The best way for an inexperienced person to break up a dog fight is to have two people, both need to put the leash under both dogs pelvic area and loop the clip through the handle on the leash, tighten it and pull the dogs away from each other. Make sure you do it at the same time and do not let the dogs go. If the dogs are really agressive turn in circles while taking the dogs apart so the dogs don't turn around and bite you. Also MACE is a very good tool in breaking up dog fights, as everyone mentioned before. I know it sounds cruel but my dog's safety is more important to me than another dog.

I would not suggest ORION's second suggestion because you should have experience in breaking up a dog fight before diving in for the collar. It can get very dangerous getting involved in a dog fight and you don't want to make a mistake. I'm sure that method works and he has experience but I wouldn't do that.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
We went again to the dog park today and we took a spray bottle with us just in case but we had no problems.

In the case yesterday, I think the dog was being overly dominant because it wasn't a true dog fight, hence, my wording with the quotes around "attacked." The dog was simply not playing nice and my dog wanted nothing to do with it. THe dog lacked manners of any sort as the owner itself had incredible trouble trying to get a hold of it, which is why we had the trouble at all. It just wasn't a great way to start off a first ever visit to the dog park, but we all made it and he had a GREAT time today.

Thank you for the advice on breaking up a dog fight, I certainly hope I never have to use it.

mojozen

bullie lover
it also depends on the breed of the dog. if a pit bull or other type bully breed is intent on finishing a fight what you need is a break stick. convincing a dog of that heritage that it's time to stop fighting now without a break stick is pretty effing hard because they are so effing stubborn. they just don't let go.

here's a website that talks about how to break up a fight where a pit is involved.

Members online

No members online now.