My neighbours BC

mrose_s

BusterLove
I've mentioned a couple of times that my neighbour got a BC the same time I got Quinn (they are a week apart) I've met him a couple of times and he's such a sweetheart of a dog but I'm starting to worry about him.
He's the owners first BC and I wonder if he knows what he's got himself into. The guy has 2 young kids already and I think he's the main caretaker of the dog.
Mum saw him out the other day with him, he pulls like a madman on the leash and the guy is worried because he's trying to chase cars already. :(

I'm keeping my eye out to run into him by "accident" so I can ask if he wants to come to the training class I take Quinn next year when it starts up again. I might also offer to bring him over here for a couple of hours during the day to play with Quinn if he wants me to or tell him I'm doing a Cert III course in dog behaviour next year and if he wants any help or anything I can give him a hand.

I feel bad for the guy, I want to offer advice but I don't want to sound like a snob or liek I'm up myself. His heart is in the right place but I just think he needs to know what to do with him before he's a problem.
I think he's an outside dog, he's an only dog and I can hear him barking right now. I curl up at night and watch movies with all our lot inside and I can't imagine how bored Quinn would be in the yard alone.

Anyone got any ideas on polite ways to offer help or been able to help out in this sort of situation before?

darkchild16

We are Home.
Didnt you use to have problems with Buster and cars? Use that. Tell him you had the same problems with Buster and want to share what helped you guys and explain why (how hard it was to fix) He may be feeling the same way you did when you had these problems with Buster and it would help that hes not the only one and that you can help him. :)

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Perhaps you could bring a little Christmas toy for the dog (from Quinn) and use that to break the ice on offering training.

GoingNowhere

I would offer to let the dog come over to play, but phrase it so it sounds like he'd be doing you a favor. For example, "I think Quinn would love to have a dog her age and speed to play with for awhile. Do you mind if..."

Then, once you've established that relationship and actually gotten to know the dog, you could mention that he chases cars through the fence or whatnot while he's at your house. That way, you appear much less meddlesome, the dog will get some much needed playtime and stimulation, and you get the original point across anyways. If you have time, you could offer to work with the dog while he's at your house. If not, I'd go about it kind like as above... "Buster used to have this huge problem and I've noticed that XYZ is doing the same thing. If you ever want any help or advice with it... because it took me ages to figure out how to fix..."

mrose_s

BusterLove
Good suggestions guys, Buster wasn't ever a car chaser but I think Blaze might have been, I might see how Lizmo dealt with it.

He's just such a nice dog, I'd hate to see him get ruined when he doesn't have to be.

Paige

Let it be
Lie and say he was a car chaser? :p I would ifi t would open up conversation on how to help him out without offending the guy.

mrose_s

BusterLove
He did have issues with wanting to chase motorbikes but he grew out of that when my training in other area's got better and he got older so I wouldn't really know what advice to offer.
Maybe even just offering to bring him over here every once in a while would help, plus Quinn would love a pup her age to play with, Buster and Mac are getting sick of puppy antics and are being grumpy old dogs.

milos_mommy

I think bringing a Christmas gift (some biscuits or a toy) from Quinn is a cute idea. I also think if you start to talk about your dogs and you mention something you had a problem with Quinn with ("Quinn was very good on the walk over here, I used to have a problem with her pulling and I'm so proud of her since we've been working on it...") might open the conversation for him to say "oh, how did you fix that" and then you can say "well, I'm getting certified in dog behavior, so if you have any problems let me know..."

Members online

No members online now.