Problem at the Dog Park

Kaylee, my 7 (almost 8) month old pup is a TERROR at dog parks. Not because she doesn't come, wanders to far, or gets in dog fights. No it's because she finds every last freaking dead thing in the park.

When I walk around one of them now it's categorized into "this is where she found the field mouse, here's the place where she brought me the dead squirrel, here's were she rolled in the dead snake and here's the place she decided to eat the fish head" And this is the small dog park with no water in it.

Then there is a really big lovely dog park I go to where she finds every dead fish in the place (a few ponds and a lake in it). I have to keep a constant watch because she would much rather eat the dead fish than roll in them and spends a good amount of time walking along the shore line looking for dead fish and frogs. On a single hour walk around she will have found at least 7 dead fish.

Then the best part, last Saturday when I went she caught a fish...and it wasn't dead. I'm sure it was hurt or something and that was the only reason she had been able to catch it, but still while I wish she hadn't done it I still was pretty amazed.

Anyways, anyone have any tips on how to stop that (is there a way, will she grow out of it?) I already know (as does she...well, at least pretty well) drop and leave it. But that doesn't help with the initial part when she finds it and picks it up before I notice. I would really like to not have to deal with the nice smell of dead fish on her breath. There has been some times I don't notice it in her mouth because she fits it completely in it and walks around like that.

So any one know any tricks for discouraging the eating of dead composing things at dog parks?

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.