Commands? Names, words.

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
What are the commands/names/words that you apply to a behavior once you're getting it routinely?

For instance, when Kaia spins to the left, it's "spin" and to the right it's "twirl".

However, I am the least creative person in the world. It just dawned on me, as I try to teach her to walk over my legs (in hopes of building this to jumping over something in the future?), that I was call this "over" but what if I can shape her to roll over?!

Tell me some of the other words you use for behaviors because I am really lame and unimaginative.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Why don't you mix in languages? eg you could use "rivoltare" for roll over. Its Italian for basically turn over. Or you could use another language. I speak Italian so that's why I picked it.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
But if you massacre the word as long as you do it consistently the dog won't care. Makes it much harder for someone else to give your dog commands as well. :rofl1:

I use 'over' to mean jump and 'roll' to mean roll over. :]
This. Those are the commands I use, but there's always:

Flip, jump, hup etc, etc, etc.

I use tight and wrap for right and left tight turns over jumps, but also have left and right turn commands.

Heel for left heeling, side for right heeling. I'm always looking for new words though, because there is always something new to teach.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'm very unoriginal. The action they are doing is what the command is. Sit = sit. Stay = stay.

I say "down" for a lay down. "Off" means get off of something. "Roll over" is roll over. I think if I had a command that was "over", I'd just shorten the "roll over" to "roll". "Crawl" is crawl. The only creative command I've done with Chloe is her "boing" command. I say "Boing!" and she jumps straight up in the air.

Nice thing about dogs is that the word doesn't have to make sense. Bad thing about people is that we won't remember it otherwise. LOL

I say "down" for a lay down. "Off" means get off of something.
Bane of my existence right there. Haha. Yes, I teach down as down and off as off as well. Except my family doesn't participate. If the dog is on on the couch or puts their feet on the counter they say "get down! get down!" grrrr No matter how many times I tell them, down is lay down, off is get off, or let go of something.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Bane of my existence right there. Haha. Yes, I teach down as down and off as off as well. Except my family doesn't participate. If the dog is on on the couch or puts their feet on the counter they say "get down! get down!" grrrr No matter how many times I tell them, down is lay down, off is get off, or let go of something.
Mike does that. He says "down" to get off and "lay" to lay down. I told him that is not how I do things. :rofl1: Hopefully he will remember.

I don't really have any creative commands. I wanted to try some French commands since I took four years of French in high school but I've forgotten almost everything. lol

Sit, stay, down, off, crawl, roll over, speak, back, etc. Jump means to jump over something and I usually have them follow my hand so it's not hard.

Maybe the only thing I do differently than most is that beg is "sit up." It works and I have no reason to change it. :)

Flyinsbt

Pirate has "port" and "starboard" for left and right spins, because pirate. I'm also using them for left and right wraps in agility. Tess' left and right spin commands are "white" and "black", because her left front paw is white, and her right one is black. And because it enables silliness such as this.

[YOUTUBE]NP-Q_2-zivY[/YOUTUBE]

Members online

No members online now.