3 week old puppies??

Hello, I am new here. I just inherited 2 adorable 3 week old mixed breed puppies. Their mom died while going outside to potty, (she was hit by a car that slid on the ice.) I offered to take the puppies because I work from home and have time to watch over them. Can anyone give me advise on what to do? Please dont be rude, or anything. I just want to help them. They are fat, healthy Husky/Pit mixed pups and I need to know how often/how much to feed them. I got bottles, and puppy milk replacer today and I have them in a safe area that they cant get hurt in. Do they need toys or anything? Thank you.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Also know that you will have to stimulate them to go to the bathroom. If you don't their systems will fill with toxins and they will die. To do this you can use a damp wash cloth and gently rub their behinds and whatnot. You'll probably want to do this every time you feed them to make sure they don't start storing waste in their systems.

Also know that you will have to stimulate them to go to the bathroom. If you don't their systems will fill with toxins and they will die. To do this you can use a damp wash cloth and gently rub their behinds and whatnot. You'll probably want to do this every time you feed them to make sure they don't start storing waste in their systems.
do i do that even if they are going potty on their own? no poop yet but I have only had them a couple hours. also, they dont seem interested in the bottle?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
A) Make sure the milk is warm.

B) Make sure it's GOATS-MILK based formula, not cow's milk.

C) It's going to take them a little bit to get use to eating from a bottle.

D) Make sure you have a good warm set up for them. Get a heating pad and place it in one corner of your set up, so the pups can get warm and cool off as they need. At this age, they still can't regulate their body temperature on their own very well.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Yes, they can't actually control their own bowls (To keep it in or let it out) until they're a bit older so go ahead and stimulate at each feeding until you find they're all doing it by themselves which may take a week or two.

Ok, so far so good! they have eaten, and both have made their business. They are curled up right now looking fat and content. My Ollie keeps trying to lick them clean and nurse them, he is a 1 year old neutered pit mix. Is it ok to let him near them?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Sounds like you're doing great. :) I've had to raise an orphaned litter as well, so I know it can be trying, but it is SO worth it. I'd say it's okay to allow him around them as long as they're well supervised. As they get older it'll be good for them to have an adult dog to look up to and have to teach them bite inhibition and things like that.

Do you have any pictures of them? Are you planning to keep either of them, or both?

filarotten

Fila the love
Ditto on keeping them warm and dry. I don't know how active they are at 3 weeks, but Fila puppies play with toys and run at that age, so giving them some might be enjoyable for them.

Alvasin

Puppy Toddlers (3 - 6 Weeks) During the Toddler period, puppies emerge on their own from the litter. They venture into the surrounding environment. This emergence from the litter is a gradual and continual learning experience. During this stage of development puppies learn basic behavioral patterns specific to dogs. While playing, they practice different body postures, learning what the postures mean and how they affect their mother and litter mates.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Puppy Toddlers (3 - 6 Weeks) During the Toddler period, puppies emerge on their own from the litter. They venture into the surrounding environment. This emergence from the litter is a gradual and continual learning experience. During this stage of development puppies learn basic behavioral patterns specific to dogs. While playing, they practice different body postures, learning what the postures mean and how they affect their mother and litter mates.
If you are going to blatantly plagiarize from the internet, either change the wording or cite the source - or maybe post things more relevant..

Members online

No members online now.