...Panda Shepherd? Really?

Crowsfeet

facetious.
Has anybody heard about these dogs, or met one? I saw an add looking for one or info on Craigslist, and I wasn't sure if the person was making it up, but, after a quick Google search, I found some info.

"www.gallantwatchkennels.com/"

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Hmm, I found a pic of a "Panda Shepherd". It appears to be a tricolor shepherd, which I believe would be a fault by show standards. I'm sure shepherd people will know more about this, but it seems like another "fad" like doodles or something.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If I remember right, aren't they like GSD/Border Collie? Huge discussion about them on the BC boards if I remember.

I'd never go near a Panda Shep. :eek:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
From the website in the OP.
We boarded as well as pro-trained and started hundreds and even up into thousands of all breeds for over 15 years of my life we housed/trained from minimum of 30 to up and over 200 dogs at a time (full time job for me and then some).
Uhm, NOT POSSIBLE! :thumbdown:

I think it's an interesting look, and if truly a GSD with the temperment and all, would be ok with me. Let's do hope they don't start trying to breed them like designer dogs though.

Pops2

okay i'm confused, if the tricolor is a mismark where would they be shown?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I came across these dogs a handful of years ago. They are a mismark and can't be shown.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I thought the Panda's were the black and White varriety. Ive never never heard of a tri color before

DanL

They've been around for a while. Just another fault that people try to make into something it isn't, like the whites, the "old school" giant ones, etc.

Dekka

Just try me..
i have met some.. they show through the RBCO.. i will see if I can dig up some pics.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
It is very attractive! I'd fall in love with that at a shelter. Now treating it as a "rare breed" . . . . that's a little different.

Dekka

Just try me..
personally I am fine with the idea of making it its 'own' breed. That then sets it up for people to not muck about with GSDs.. do health testing have their own standard etc... to me its far better than messing about with an existing breed. (i would love all those people out there who love the puddin jrts and think they should be breeding them call them something else and do it ethically)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
personally I am fine with the idea of making it its 'own' breed. That then sets it up for people to not muck about with GSDs.. do health testing have their own standard etc... to me its far better than messing about with an existing breed. (i would love all those people out there who love the puddin jrts and think they should be breeding them call them something else and do it ethically)
You have a point. The problem is that such things are often an invitation to the millers . . . you'll have a few ethical people working really hard, and a bunch of bybs and millers riding on their work and talking about their special breed

Dekka

Just try me..
yes, but that happens with any breed. As soon as you make it a 'legitimate' breed with its own registry, code of ethics, standards etc then it makes it easier for people to find out who is a miller/byb and who is decent.

considering that a GSD is a working dog, and very few breeders in this country prove their dogs in any venue or work, i'm guessing there isn't a single "ethical" panda breeder anywhere. There's very few ethical GSD breeders, show breeders included. They're the biggest bunch of windbags playing lip service to things they know nothing about concerning their breed of dogs.

Dekka

Just try me..
can't say that i have ever heard the Panda or Shiloh breeder say that their dogs are working dogs (in a practical sense) so can't say I am offended by their lack of work.

You can still be ethical (from an animal welfare point of view) and not work your dogs.

Members online

No members online now.