I couldn't help myself

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
This little cutie was purchased by a lady who tried to integrate him with her other rats, and he mauled one of her other males. She needed to find him a home asap and I'm a sucker, so...

Look what I brought home with me today?

He is approximately 4 months old, and is a dumbo rex. If he settles in well, I'm probably going to keep him. Otherwise, I'll just foster until another home can be found.

He's pretty shy, but curious. I'm hoping with some consistent handling he'll come around. (Although the bugger already bit my thumb and made it bleed - I have no idea why, and I don't think it was defensive or aggressive. Unless he repeats himself, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it never happened.)

I just need to think of a name! I'm considering Huey.

Brattina88

That's generally how I got my first rat, Korben. He was returned to the pet store after a bad fight, the deemed him to needing to be a single rat, and were going to sell him as a feeder - he was terribly tame. I loved that boy, he loved shoulder riding, came to his name, and could "sit up" for a treat.
I love love love rats, hate their short life span. He's cute, and I like the name :)

I got in the habit of washing my hands before handling, you know, so they don't smell like food lol. Just a tip

*blackrose

I have discovered that he likes to bite things that poke through his cage, which I think is why he bit my thumb the first time (I was tying a knot through the bars to attach his hammock). Whether it is because he thinks its food or he's being territorial, I don't know. Any way to break him of that habit? I have no intention of ever feeding him through the bars, so it won't be reinforced.

*blackrose

Well, the little ****er just bit my thumb for the third time, after I had spent most of the evening just trying to get him used to me.

Pretty sure I will not be keeping him. I was really hoping he was just a little shy, but biting my thumb hard enough to not only make it require a bandage, but also bruise, when all I did was move my hand two inches upwards....that is not okay.

I'm talking with a lady who breeds and rescues rats...hoping she'll be able to help me out.

Drat. Really hoped he would work out.

(My poor thumb now has four puncture wounds and it hurts to bend it. Ow ow ow ow.)

Members online