Need prayers, thoughts, vibes....anything

Miakoda

I just got home from taking Cole to school, and hubby was outside with TB. I immediately noticed my hubby's stricken expression, and I looked down at TB to see him stumbling and disoriented.

We have NO toxins he could've gotten into, and with the rain, he'd been inside except for supervised outside potty breaks.

I'm thinking he's had/having a stroke. The left side of his body is almost useless, but the right side of his face/head is all wrong. His right eyeball is rolling downward, and his ear is lying flat on his head.

Im about to be at the clinic....

Miakoda

We're waiting on bloodwork.

He's able to stand now, and can take a few wobbly steps. But the right side of his face is comepletely droopy, his right eye is rolled under (down), and his head is tilted to the right.

I didn't need this...... :(

Miakoda

You can see the tilt. And I had just clucked at him, and you can see the left ear perked up, but the right ear is limp. :(

Miakoda

I checked him for snake and spider bite, but I didn't see anything. I'll go over for a sting site.

Hes having trouble standing again. His left side is very weak and reflexes are pretty screwy.

Just doing some more waiting.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
:( Lots of vibes headed your way!

Are ticks an issue in your area? Tick bite paralysis can cause similar symptoms iirc and it's cured simply by finding the tick and removing it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Vibes and vibes and vibes from us. Worries with you too. (((((HUGS)))))

Miakoda

Ticks aren't a big issue where I live. I did run a flea comb over him, but all I found was a single dead flea.

Right now it's looking to be idiopathic vestibular disorder or a stroke. His nystagmus is vertical.

Doberluv

Oh how worried you must be. The poor fella. Sending loads of vibes that he'll come around and be okay. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Miakoda

Definitely seems to be a stroke. He had a little bit of yeast waaay down deep in his otherwise clean ears, so we are going to get rid of it just in the hopes that it could be causing vestibular issues. But then is eyes are all bloodshot, as if he were choked (which I can wholeheartedly vouch for NOT) or heatstroke (it's been "cooler" here - 80's - and he's been primarily inside anyway due to the rain). Then there's the paralysis of the right side of his face (his eyelid is droopy, his lips are all droopy and he's drooling from that side, and his ear is limp and doesn't move in response to sound like the left one).

We're not 100% that it's a stroke, but it fits more than the other causes of vestibular disorder.

I brought him home and gave him a nice warm shower to get him all clean (he ran around the muddy yard yesterday like a pit bull possessed :) ). I then made him a nice, flat bed of a folded waterbed sheet and a towel, and he's in his kennel now resting. He was walking (staggering) from the bathroom to the dog room when he just collapsed and couldn't get up, so I carried him the rest of the way (carrying him seems to make him nauseous, so I've been trying not to unless I have to).

It's just soooo hard to see such an athletic dog be reduced to a stumbling, nauseated, sick one. :(

He's still trying to be so happy, and his tail was going a mile a minute while at the clinic and at home. He was trying to give me and Cooper kisses, but his tongue isn't quite working properly.

I hate seeing him like this, but it reminds me why I love this breed. No matter what, they just want to love you and please you, and they refuse to show weakness or pain even when encompassed by it. It's just inspiring to see.

Members online