Is it ok for the dog to sleep with me?

Freddie

I had a question, my dog freddie sleeps with me on my bed every night. I think I'm allergic to his fur though because I always have a runny nose in the morning and I sneeze, still, the reason I let him sleep with me is because I work all day long, and during those hours, he is in a crate, so I want to give him as much freedom as possible when he's at home with me, so I let him sleep where ever he wants to, which is usually on my bed. What is everyone's take on this? Is there a better solution? I could section the kitchen off during the day and let him stay there but that usually upsets him more than leaving him in the crate for some reason, if i do that, he wines and scratches at the fence like crazy, sounds soo hopeless and depressed, at least when i put him in the crate, he just sits there and looks at me. And it's obvious why I don't let him just run around the apartment when i'm gone.

My dog sleeps wif me every night too, even tho' her bed is right by mine in the room. She can choose to sleep anywhere too but usually ends up in my bed :p

nancy2394

My dog doesn't sleep with me... we tried that but it didn't work out because she would horseplay with the cat and while we'd be trying to sleep they'd be running laps under the covers. But she refuses to sleep alone.. she'd cry all night long, so she sleeps in my daughters bed with her.

All my animals have always slept with me and have been welcomed to do it. They are all very well bahaved and just snooze with no horseplay. It works out well for us...

kelbel

I am allergic to my cat and she still lets me sleep in the bed with her. When the allergies get too bad I just take some benadryl. I also wash my sheets every few days and that helps. You could always talk to your doctor and get some presciption allergy meds. Maybe you could try putting freddie in the kitchen but have his crate in there also and see how he does. He might be more comfortable with his "den" in there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

lolz, you guys let your dogs sleep with you on your bed? don't you guys get the doggie smell and fur all over your bed? i'm just curious, i don't let him sleep with me on my bed, he only nap with me on the couch during the day, at night time, he's going back to his crate.

oriondw

user not active
trigger1 said:
lolz, you guys let your dogs sleep with you on your bed? don't you guys get the doggie smell and fur all over your bed? i'm just curious, i don't let him sleep with me on my bed, he only nap with me on the couch during the day, at night time, he's going back to his crate.

My dog doesnt reallly smell :)

He cleans himself alot too.

nancy2394

our beds never smell like dog... but then again my animals get bathed the first signs of stinking. And the cat kind of sheds a little bit, but it brushes right off. I'm not sure if a big dog in the bed might contribute to that dog smell or not... my dog is a little one, only 13 pounds.

bubbatd

My Chip and any grand-dog start out with me , but move on to their own beds or quilts or the floor whenever they want. Sure, there may be some dog hair, but I don't have smelly dogs!

Athebeau

My Dobe and Rottie sleep with me, with proper diet a short coated breed should never stink...neither do my Newf's. It's all in the health of the skin and overall well being of the dog. The Newf's sleep with my Sister, :) Thank goodness we have Queen size beds. Most times the Newf's end up sleeping on the floor because of being too warm. My Dobe and Rottie would rather die than lay on the floor. I have never bathed my Dobe, and my Rottie has only been bathed once in her 6 years...the Newf's I try to bath as seldom as possible.

As for your allergies - try to look into natural alternatives to boost your immune system such as astragalus. Eat more foods that contain Omega 3 fatty acids (walnuts, flax oil/seeds, hemp oil, salmon, sardines). Eat yogurt and other healthy foods. Cut back on saturated fats, and for goodness sack don't eat processed foods, canned foods (it's terrifying to see how much salt they add), quick frozen dinners, fast food restaurants and deep fried foods. I really am amazed at the crap people eat, and then want a quick fix like a prescription drug. Heal your body from the inside out...don't supress the symptoms, cure them:)

When you are away at work, why not leave your dog in the kitchen sectioned off with the crate in there (take the door off), turn on some music, give a good bone (raw is perfect, but messy), perhaps give him some rescue rememdy to help calm him. Most dogs will scratch and whine at the gate unti they get used to being in their "area". But, if you feel more comfortable with your pup in the crate...it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

filarotten

Fila the love
Brutus sleeps with us,( he is a bed hog though) but, when he gets hot,then off to his bed. Roxie prefers her bed she gets hot quickly, and Maggie prefers under the bed. Mine don't have an odor. The only time we have had that problem was when Brutus get in the pond everyday, and I quickly learned to do a rinse off job after. It worked.

keyodie

Keyozilla
I have a bunk bed, and I sleep on the top and Charlie sleeps on the bottom...I think you should get your doctor to make sure you have allergies.

Chyna just started sleeping in bed with us. She was okay with being in the crate at night but I knew eventually she would be sleeping with us. She's a PITA when we first get in bed walking all over us and burrowing under the covers but then she settles down next to me and sleeps most of the night. I am the one that suffers since I'm wedged in between her and my husband! She doesn't smell either...except for her feet. :D
I thought most peoples dogs slept with them.

Pam

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I don't let my dogs on my bed, but that's just my personal preference. If you don't mind your dog sleeping with you, I don't see any problem with it.

I would love to have the dogs sleep in my bed, but my finance would NEVER let that happen. :)

My parents would let their cocker spaniel sleep with them, she would always end up sleeping just above my dad's head on his pillow. She was very spoiled and got what ever she wanted. :)

Freddie

Thanks everyone for the reply, I guess I will have to go to the doctor to see then first if it is because of the dog I have allergies, I'm pretty sure it is though because the symptons didn't appear until I got freddie. Freddie is very well behaved though when we sleep, he just lies there peacefully until I wake up. Sometimes though, he sleeps right beside me and when i try to turn I can't becaue he's in the way, then I have to push over to the other side, heh.

Members online

No members online now.