Looking for something larger....

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Any dog is going to have the same issues, though it may not be hips. Though I know what you mean, I've been looking at breeders for 3 years for my second!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I know any breed has health problems but it just seems it's so common in GSDs and I'm probably more wary of it just because my dog had it. He sure was a good dog, though.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
How do collies compare to shelties?
Uhhh... shelties are just miniature collies, they're exactly the same. Duh. :rolleyes: :p

From the ones I have met (which have been very few) the collies seem to be more reserved than the shelties. Like they're deciding if you're okay or not wheras the shelties just wanted to say hi right away. Collies seem less hyper, even the well bred shelties I've met seemed to be somewhat high-strung.
The collies seem to question their owners during training more. They want a reason why they have to do something, the shelties were more like "Okay!!" the fact that the owner was telling them to do it was reason enough for them.

I hope someone with more experience can weigh in on this as, like I said before, my experience with both breeds is limited to a few dogs of each breed.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Uhhh... shelties are just miniature collies, they're exactly the same. Duh. :rolleyes: :p
LOL.

So it sounds like if 'm looking for a breed more active than a sheltie then a collie would probably not be the best choice? The shelties to me, which is kind of funny, are a bit too laid back for my tastes. All three of my shelties have been A LOT less active than the papillons have been and I'm really looking for something with more their activity level, only larger of course.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So it sounds like if 'm looking for a breed more active than a sheltie then a collie would probably not be the best choice?
I wouldn't say that. I just said that they are more hyper. I see it in the sense that if you have something to do and can't exercise them at that second they are content to lay around and wait wheras the shelties I've met go stir-crazy just waiting to exercise. But I don't think a collie would turn down exercise. I guess I'm trying to say that the collies seem to be able to adjust themselves to their owners' activity level better than the shelties.
I know what I want to say, I just can't say it! lol, frustrating!

bubbatd

I love a well bred Golden so , I can't move from the breed ! They fit in everywhere !! I love other breeds too , but after 60 years ,,,, need Golden characteristics !

Members online

No members online now.