Redness around eye

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
This morning when I woke up I noticed Cricket has redness around her eye. Her eye was watery too. I checked and don't see any abrasions or lacerations though she has been rubbing her eye all day on stuff so it definitely itches her.

I gave her some benedryl since she tends to have minor skin issues/allergies in general. Redness hasn't gone away though. Doesn't seem to hurt her if I touch the spot.

Any idea what this could be? My guess is it is allergy related. Could it be from a bug bite? What does pink eye look like on a dog? Debating on what I could try before deciding to take her to a vet. Like I said, other than being itchy it doesn't seem to hurt her though she looks annoyed by it.

Also... Are human eyedrops safe for dogs?

Got a couple pics with my cell

Barbara!

Yeah, could be a bug bite. Chevelle had it once, but there was no swelling until later. Hope it gets better!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I think you need to have a conversation with Cricket about hybrid vigor :p

To me it looks like it could be allergy related, especially with her history. I wonder if something like neosporin would help?

Saeleofu

My guess is allergies. I personally would see a vet for that, I don't mess around when it comes to eyes.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I probably won't be able to get her in to a vet until later this week. Think she will be ok until then if I keep giving her benedryl? The benedryl seemed to help keep her from trying to rub her face so much on stuff. If it is conjunctivitis is that contagious?

thehoundgirl

Ouch that looks nasty. :(
Benadryl may help relieve her but I'd get her to the vet when you can. :)

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I probably won't be able to get her in to a vet until later this week. Think she will be ok until then if I keep giving her benedryl? The benedryl seemed to help keep her from trying to rub her face so much on stuff. If it is conjunctivitis is that contagious?
No conjunctivitis isn't usually contagious unless viral. I wouldn't even vet it unless it didn't clear up with vetericyn gel applied a couple times a day.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Just woke up and its considerably less red though she is missing a little hair around her eye... Probably from scratching at it? Gave her some more benedryl and going to keep an eye on it today. I swear this dog seems to always have flare ups when it comes to her skin. Her actual eye doesn't seem to be directly affected. It's more around the eye rim. Definitely less red for now. I also gave her some happy traveler in case its stress related since there has been a lot of changes going on.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
No conjunctivitis isn't usually contagious unless viral. I wouldn't even vet it unless it didn't clear up with vetericyn gel applied a couple times a day.
This. I'd keep up the Benadryl since it's working and keeping her comfortable. Get some OTC antibiotic eye ointment and apply twice a day. I bet it will clear up in no time. :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
This. I'd keep up the Benadryl since it's working and keeping her comfortable. Get some OTC antibiotic eye ointment and apply twice a day. I bet it will clear up in no time. :)
Thank you. Is there a specific eye ointment I should look for that is safe for dogs? She seems kind of dopey right now, but I'm pretty sure that is a combination between the benedryl and the happy traveler which has valerium in it.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
You can try to get some Terramycin but it's been really hard to find lately. Most places have it on back order. :( Maybe someone else can suggest an equivalent?

ETA: Looks like Kat09 suggested the Vetricyn ointment, which they have on Amazon! I'd totally give that a try.

Members online

No members online now.