Am I in "starvation mode?"

Doberluv

Oh, I missed those last few posts. Well, my LDL recently was 105. They want it to be no more than 99. My triglycerides were 92 and my hdl 52 (they want it between 40 something and 59) My total was 175 ("normal" 100 - 199) I quit smoking and eat pretty well...sort of like what I wrote up on that other post. And exercise a lot.

So, hmmm. Those drugs are kind of scary. My Mom has always been thin and never smoked. Her cholesterol is through the roof and she had a mild stroke. Now she's on Lipitor.

Well, the new information is something to take a good look at, for sure. It's just so strange. Another thing...how do they know for sure that humans didn't eat grain before? Wouldn't you, if you were an early man and you were wandering across the plains, stop and try some seed from the wild grasses and see if it filled you up? LOL. I'd think they'd try anything. Yes, they don't see the tooth decay in the archaeological finds. But everything they say now might be debunked in a few years also. :rofl1:

Doberluv

Thanks for the links. I saw that Lyzell when I was looking at that other short clip. I'll look at that Fat head when I get back from my tax man. lol.

Thanks for the info guys. It's very interesting.

Lyzelle

Another thing...how do they know for sure that humans didn't eat grain before? Wouldn't you, if you were an early man and you were wandering across the plains, stop and try some seed from the wild grasses and see if it filled you up? LOL. I'd think they'd try anything. Yes, they don't see the tooth decay in the archaeological finds. But everything they say now might be debunked in a few years also. :rofl1:
They were hunter-gatherers, so the majority of their diet wasn't grain. And grain isn't really natural, since it doesn't occur naturally in the wild. Corn, for instance, started off as some random weed. It was genetically modified to be a food-producing plant in recent years. But seeds, tubers (like potatoes), and other naturally-occurring carbs, sure. Along with veggies, fruit, nuts, and meat. It was a naturally-occurring balance, really.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm sure humans ate grains, they're easily gathered and cooked and filling. Much easier than hunting a fleet-footed prey animals. Most of the grains we have now in this country have been so genetically modified that they barely resemble the original grains we ate as we grew (as a species) into prominence.

it might be, but they lots of fossil records. In North America they don't find any signs of tooth decay or inflammatory joint diseases in the records until the cultivation of corn popped up. Then there are plenty of examples in the records once corn became a staple of the natives diet. and think the corn they cultivated was much higher in protein and much lower in starch than the junk they have gentically engineered today. Corn used to be much more portein, now it's like 80% starch (sugar)

Cardi4851

Just in defense of yogurt. If you eat healthy (the key here is healthy, so probably not chocolate flavoured) it can aid in weight loss. It has been shown in several studies that calcium from dairy products can help aid weight loss. Plus, calcium and dairy products are good for you anyways. (Again, making sure it is a healthy variant!)

About eight years ago I was in your exact position (except I'm one inch shorter) and I lost about 80 pounds eating around 1000 calories a day. So it is possible to do. At the time I asked a doctor if I was eating too little food because people had been telling me I was. Their response was that very, very few people actually need 2,000 calories a day and to basically be smart and listen to my body. So if you feel healthy, aren't getting sick or having adverse reactions than the amount you are eating is probably fine. (But obviously talk to a doctor if you are concerned.) One other caution though, don't fool yourself on how many calories you are or are not eating. It is really easy to under calculate what you are really eating. I also let myself eat one "bad for me" treat a week, but it couldn't be over 400 calories. (So no giant piece of cheesecake or anything). Also, if possible try to walk more places. It is an easy way to add exercise without feeling like you are exercising. I know that this isn't possible in some areas though.

Good luck and don't despair, it will eventually happen.

Dekka

Just try me..
Actually they have a pretty good idea of what we ate by looking at teeth. The wear patterns on teeth tell much about our ancestors. And RTH is correct, humans did better (longevity and healthwise) BEFORE agriculture.

Grains would be very very time consuming to gather, and as Zoom said bare little resemblance to current grains. They were much smaller, contained much less starch and more fibre. So even if they did eat them, they wouldn't be in quantity or regularity. Roots, leaves, etc and animals are much easier and a much better return on one's energy investment.

Doberluv

Ah - ha! I see. Junk or not, I can't think of anything tastier than just picked corn on the cob with butter, salt and pepper on it and potato salad with lots of stuff in it, like bacon, hard boiled eggs, onions, olives, green pepper, celery, peas and plenty of mayonnaise and mustard. lol Oh, and don't forget the greasy fried chicken. And another ear of corn. :)

Well, I must go see my tax guy and will try to catch up with this fast moving, interesting thread later today.

Doberluv

If your high blood pressure or cholesterol is genetic, then it really has nothing to do with your diet. But they have lowered the "normal" range, and definitely increased the "need" for statins, that apparently don't work. Cholesterol actually does help repair your arteries and other blood vessels, though, as has been said. It's kind of like someone blaming high crime on police, because they see police. It's blaming a side effect, rather than a cause. Sadly, there are many, many causes for high cholesterol and blood pressure.

Oh Lyselle, in my case, it's definitely genetic. Everyone has it. And my sister and Mom are thin as string beans and don't eat much fat. My sister exercises up the wazoo. Obsessively. And I exercise quite a bit...every day almost at the YMCA, an hour on the machines, 1/2 mile or more swimming laps, weights and sometimes various classes, plus walking the dogs almost every day for maybe 1/2 to 1 hour. (The Chi's aren't as into big walks anymore). My blood pressure is very low (usually about 105 or 110 over 69 or 70 something) and I have very good bone density for an old gal. lol. So, it seems my only obvious problems are that I smoked (but now have quit). And I'm a about 10- 20 lbs overweight still. And I have high cholesterol whether I eat right, exercise or not. But one thing that does seem to bring it down is the statin drugs. It was much, much higher before taking those. Go figure. My Dad had plugged arteries and almost had a heart attack, but had some damage nevertheless...had bypass surgery and was fine for years. So, it seems to run in the family. So, risk factors are there for me for heart problems and stroke. It was dumber than dumb to smoke and get so over weight. But I'm working on it now.

Well, if it's not cholesterol making me more at risk, maybe I should quit those statins. But yeah, first I must look into this more. I appreciate the links and info. :)

Okay, now I really must go to the tax man. I somehow keep procrastinating that. I can't imagine why. I know I'm going to owe. :eek:

Picklepaige

Wow, I am loving this conversation! I never really ate much meat, because I'm a hypochondriac, and I always think I'm having heart attacks. Good to know that meat isn't as terrible as I thought!

So does the whole deal about BMR not matter? Mine is about 1650, and people are saying that it's not healthy to eat below that in calories. But, it's hard enough for me to reach 1200. Does the "counting calories" way of losing not work?

Dekka

Just try me..
Ah - ha! I see. Junk or not, I can't think of anything tastier than just picked corn on the cob with butter, salt and pepper on it and potato salad with lots of stuff in it, like bacon, hard boiled eggs, onions, olives, green pepper, celery, peas and plenty of mayonnaise and mustard. lol Oh, and don't forget the greasy fried chicken. And another ear of corn. :)

Well, I must go see my tax guy and will try to catch up with this fast moving, interesting thread later today.
Strangely enough I LOVED, I mean LOVED mashed potatoes.. and corn on the cob with butter.. Now it doesn't seem so exciting. My mom told me that, I didn't believe her :rofl1: but its true. I am no longer addicted to carbs and don't crave them. I find I crave veggies, meats, and well crackers. LOL I miss crackers, the thin crisp crunch.. I think its the texture far more than the taste.

Dekka

Just try me..
Wow, I am loving this conversation! I never really ate much meat, because I'm a hypochondriac, and I always think I'm having heart attacks. Good to know that meat isn't as terrible as I thought!

So does the whole deal about BMR not matter? Mine is about 1650, and people are saying that it's not healthy to eat below that in calories. But, it's hard enough for me to reach 1200. Does the "counting calories" way of losing not work?
Counting calories does work for many people. BUT when most people cut calories they cut out bad carbs. A really long but REALLY good article. I highly recommend reading the whole thing :D

http://waroninsulin.com/nutrition/why-weight-watchers-is-actually-a-low-carb-diet

IME if you are eating the 'right' foods counting calories isn't as much of an issue. I stopped counting calories ages ago. I just eat low carb and only eat to hunger.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I lost 30lbs last year just counting calories and everyday exercise.

Picklepaige

Maf, I just got that app on my phone! I think it will help a lot, as I don't generally keep track of what I eat. Are raw vegetables good? Cooked veggies gross me out, but I can do raw! And is taking the bread off of sandwiches and (on the rare occasion I feel like it) burgers good?

Dekka

Just try me..
Raw is awesome! If I am stuck out and have to get fast food or expire I just eat a burger without the bun. At home I will make burgers with all sorts of things on them, just no buns. Tomatoes, lettuce, avocado...

Lyzelle

A "calorie" is a measure of heat energy in chemistry and biochemistry. Same deal with your body. Your "heat energy" consumer is your metabolism. So a calorie is a measure of heat energy either from or being provided to your metabolism. Some people consume too much and it can be stored. Or they could be slowing down their natural metabolism by consuming a loy of sugar. Or you can starve your metabolism and therefore lose weight.

In the end, it is just energy. And how it is used and what that energy comes from is far more important.

Doberluv

Don't let this thread die! I don't have time tonight and tomorrow I have to take poor Toker to the ophthalmologist (a long drive) because she's having problems. Somebody.....keep the rhythm going! LOL.:music_guitarred:

Members online