bernese mountain dog help

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok Mark has fallen in love with Bernese mountain dogs. He wants to get one, for himself, when we move. The reasons that he loves the breed are sincere (their love for children, good family dogs). He doesn't just like them because they are big or "pretty" (which they are pretty). So I have between 1 and 2 years to either talk him out of one or learn everything that I can about them. I know they can have hip, eye, and elbow problems. I also know that they shed, and need extensive socialization due to their nature of being shy to strangers. I have heard numerous people tell me that they are a dry mouth breed, and then some people tell me it depends on their head shape. I want to look into rescues but Mark ofcourse wants to go to a breeder. So he needs to try finding a reputable breeder within this state or the surrounding states. Anyone have personal experience with the breed? I have heard they aren't... (I'm trying to say this politely) validictorian of their puppy preschools (if you get what I'm saying). I'm trying to figure out if I should talk Mark out of this dog or let him get one (I think he's jealous because I have a dog and he doesn't have one). We haven't had the greatest track records with dogs, but if we go to a breeder and put down serious money on a puppy again I told him once we put down the money the dog's with us for life.

showpug

Berners are fantastic loving dogs. I have attended many puppy classes that they have been in and they have always been outgoing and jolly. I never got the impression that they were dumb. I think they are an excellent choice for a family with children. One year my husband and I took one of our dogs up to Mt. Hood for the day to play in the snow and a Berner came up and started playing with us and our dog. It was adorable and loved the snow. The new house we are moving into has a berner puppy next door. Got loose the other day and came running over to me tail wagging and very excited. They are sweet dogs.

I have heard though that they have a health epidemic within their breed. I want to say cancer, but I can't remember for sure...:confused:

joce

You will have to start researching a breeder like now:p and you will be spending a ton. I
've been looking inot them and still want one but its jsut too much at the moment-I'm gonna give it a good ten years then look again. they are starting a program were the ones that live over ten years(I think-cuz most don't) are tracked and you can get ione form a helathy bloodline. they really have the most health problems of any of the breeds I am interested in and its really sad cuz they are such huge baby dolls. this is a pic form one I met at an agility match a couple years ago-Isn't he a cutie?! I fell in love! and the pups are the cutest!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yes showpug! They do tend to get cancers as well. We are looking into breeders, we picked up a couple magazines and are looking in the breeder sections. Also I have asked my vet if he could help us in our search. I'm just so nervous about another puppy though. I expect to pay 1,200 at the least for a good puppy from a reputable breeder. I wanted to look into rescue but Mark wants to look for a breeder first. The longer we have to wait for a good puppy the better though.

Joce-I have been told the average life span is 7 years. Although some have been known to fall victim to cancer and barely make it to their 2nd birthdays. So they are good in agility than? Because I would want to get it involved in something. We looked into flyball for Hannah so she could express all her pent up energy. Joce your picture is not helping me much ;). I was TRYING to talk him out of one!

joce

Ha ha! I say go for it if you can find a good breeder-but the problem is the good breeders have a couple year long waiting lists. So you may want to get on a list now:p

I don't know about agility and them-in most its probaly not good on the hips but I'm sure in a healthy one it would be ok.

otch1

Hi... I agree. Joces' picture shows why this breeds so appealing! Sounds like you've done your homework on health issues. They're not a good candidate for serious agility work, and no, not the highest scoring competition dogs, but there are other kinds of training you can do with them. (Most, very good therapy dogs) If you're interested, I can give you several phone numbers of breeders that have excellent lines, and would be willing to talk to you about all of the pros and cons of owning a Bernese. Sounds like you yourself, will have a hard time talking your husband out of this one! Have a great weekend!

I have had the pleasure of getting to know a couple of Berners at the obed. school. They are definite sweeties. :) Obedience training is a definite must with this breed especially because of their size and strength. They are definitely capable of doing well in obed. but it isn't top of their list of priorities when it comes to the sharpest execution of the exercises. ;) The 2 I got to know very well were both also trained in carting and both of them loved it. In fact we were in a couple of parades and they pulled carts loaded with our bottled water, sweatshirts as well as little trinkets & candy we tossed out to the spectators. Their carts also had a couple of hitchhikers in it: a couple of the smaller toy breeds who got tired of walking.:D One of them was also a therapy dog and regularly visited nursing homes.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hi... I agree. Joces' picture shows why this breeds so appealing! Sounds like you've done your homework on health issues. They're not a good candidate for serious agility work, and no, not the highest scoring competition dogs, but there are other kinds of training you can do with them. (Most, very good therapy dogs) If you're interested, I can give you several phone numbers of breeders that have excellent lines, and would be willing to talk to you about all of the pros and cons of owning a Bernese. Sounds like you yourself, will have a hard time talking your husband out of this one! Have a great weekend!
Yes! That would be awesome if you could get me in contact with some good breeders. I was just looking for something to get this dog involved in. Obedience and maybe therapy sounds like fun though.

bubbatd

I love them !!! But stuck to Goldens because I knew them better .I really think their tri colored goldens when bred right !

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
As with any big dog breed... hip problems, etc.. just make sure everything is certified. Also the short lifespan - danes are only supposed to live 7-9 years but I have a beautiful, puppy-like 11 year old sitting next to me right now. Used to go to riding clinics/visit regularly at a boarding stable that had a beautiful Bermese Mountain Dog and would love to someday have one of my own. I am very much a big breed girl. :)

Members online