thankfully, our rabbits can stay... and now thw question

mrose_s

BusterLove
ok, we ave decided not to move, but that gets me stuck... i dont want to get suck at this school for my seniour years :confused:
anyway,
so willow is VERY PROTECTIVE OF HER CAGE SHE BIT ME LAST Night again
and thistle is the complete opposite... very timimd. but just lvely. And i was wondering, should i save up and gt her desexed? or should i save a bucks life (do they tend to keep rabbits at the pound) and breed her, as long as all the babies have already been guarenteed to GOOD homes. If they do have a lot of rabbits at the pound i don't think i will breed her.
i asked mum this morning and told her that if we do breed them and cant find homes, we have to be willing to take them back. whats your opinion, please keep in mind... not many people own snakes here, not many people own rabbits, there are not a lot of people, we have no shelter

Saje

Island dweller
Please do NOT breed them. After dogs and cats rabbits are the most abandoned pets and the thing is that people think that house rabbits can just survive in the wild so they set them free but that is NOT true. There are way too many.

Not only that but your rabbits will just have more hormones and it won't help the problem at all. You should get them altered. That's the best decision.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
the people behind us when i lived in the apartment complex had rabbits they had let run "wild" in their yard. I discovered this the first time i took a dead baby rabbit out of a cat's mouth and realized it was not wild..then another and another./ I finally caught one that was still alive and found out where it came from. Why bring something into this world that has little chance of survival..or little chance of a home. It is always the babies that suffer for their caretakers bad decisions. spay and neuter

mrose_s

BusterLove
but if i could find good homes, before she even got pregnant, maybe i could save a bucks life aswell, do u know if the pund keeps rabbits???

mrose_s

BusterLove
but if i could find good homes, before she even got pregnant, maybe i could save a bucks life aswell, do u know if the pound keeps rabbits???

Saje

Island dweller
You would really not be saving any lives. Most people who get rabbits don't know what to expect and get rid of them. Look at all of the problems and questions you have had!! You could get bucks if you wanted but it's very difficult to bond rabbits even after they get fixed and once the relationship is ruined it can rarely be recovered. Altered house rabbits can live to be 8 to 12 years old but unaltered rabbits have a very short life. They are very susceptible to cancers.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Definetely spay your rabbit. I had a few rabbits in my time (the last two I got while with my husband) and unfortunetely I have to say that we gave them to his friend from work for his daughter. Even people that have the best of intentions and do a whole heck of a lot of research don't really know what they are getting into with a rabbit. I researched rabbits for six months before we got our two rabbits and I was still dumbfounded when I got them home. Most people think they will be like cuddly puppies and kitties and don't realize the patience and all the training that goes along with a rabbit. Why can't you save a buck regardless of if you get your rabbit fixed? If your parents are willing to let you get a buck in order to breed why wouldn't they let you get one just for a pet?

mrose_s

BusterLove
i doubt they will, but... what are the signs a rabbit is pregnant, willow seems to keep making nests and sitting around with her tail right up, maybe she is just on heat but she has been very protective lately, we got a vet to check that they were both girld but could he have been wrong/???

ok, i will spay thistle. she is more important. How much does it cost, mum wants me to pay for it myself.

mrose_s

BusterLove
but i see your point, i had no idea what i got into with these rabbits, but i will stick it out, they are still my pets and i still have to care for her

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I think it's sort of hard to be mistaken. I don't know though. I'm not sure what the signs of them being pregnant are I've never had that kind of problem with our they were always housed seperately and I only let them play together when I could watch and supervise them.

Saje

Island dweller
Your female rabbit is just nesting. Unspayed females do that. They pull out their own hair and make a nest. My Mika does it. I'd love to have them spayed but there is no vet in the area that I trust.

joce

Rabbits are one of the worst animals to raise. That was my 4h project for a while and I will never have another rabbit. It is not uncommon for the mother to eat or abandon her first litter. Thats what mine did and even though I got up constantly to feed them they lived to four weeks and died because they never got colostrum. I thought you were not supposed to keep males and females together because it stressed them. I know around here you never hear of fixing a rabbit so maybe thats why they say that. My last bunny died getitng a tumor removed from her neck. She was a sweetie but most people do buy them and then try to give them back or just let them go.

Most rabbits will attack you when you put your arm in their cage. Its just them being protective. I kept gloves next to my rabbit hutch thing.

Saje

Island dweller
Well, rabbits can be that way Joce but with training. socialization and plenty of exercise rabbits can be great pets. They are clean, easy to teach to use a litterbox and quiet the little characters when they are comfortable in their environment.

Steve used to let Niblet out while I was still asleep and he'd hope into bed with me and lick my face. He was so adorable.

Some breeds of rabbits are hardier than others. I know with Netherland Dwarfs the first litter is almost always stillborn and that sometimes the doe dies too. The males need to be separated from the females and the litter. I know that if the doe knows you and is comfortable in it's environment things go a lot easier - but that's just obvious. It's definitely not something to get into without doing your researching and making plans.

And altered bucks and does are much easier to bond than two does or two bucks (nearly impossible) as Mrose is learning.

joce

Mine were great pets,just not in their cage, and they were not fun to breed and raise. I had a couple litter trained but the ones that were litter trained were the ones that chewed.The ones that I could trust to hop around for a while weren't litter trained. I really liked my last bunny but her neck lump thing grew and my poor parents spent a ton trying to fix her but it didn't work.

mrose_s

BusterLove
oh, sorry about taht.

well we wern't sure what willow was going to do so we gave her plenty of extra grass and paper to build a nest incase she was going to have herself a baby, but i checked her this morning and everything was all good. :D

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
That's good news. Baby rabbits, from what I have heard, can be a real HANDFUL. Especially if there were problems and the mother couldn't (or wouldn't) take care of them.

mrose_s

BusterLove
yeah, i suppose, she is still nesting so we are giving her some extra TLC.
is there a rason thistle isnt doing this aswell???

mrose_s

BusterLove
we think that they are the same age, they were about the same size when we got them but thislte hasn't seemed to grow as much as willow.

Members online

No members online now.