breed guesses on shelter dog

Maxy24

This is Riley, my current favorite at save a dog. He has the personality of a dog I would adopt, very lively to see you, jumps on you etc. He'll play, although he is not very good at tug, I think we could work on it. He is actually very easy to rile up and he'll be a great jogging partner. He responds pretty well to people's voices, he was really engaged at looking at another dog that was making noise and when I called his name he snapped right out of it and came over to me, tail wagging. He plays VERY rowdily with other dogs, he has one good dog friend there that he plays rough with and he was very interested in meeting the other dogs but when he'd go to them he's do submissive posturing so he was not disrespectful like some rough players. He can also calm way down. I showed him to one family when he was tired (they were there all day so they saw both sides of him) and he walked right onto the woman's lap and curled up. Their son wanted him on his lap and I didn't think he would mind so I tried to entice him over and he was far too comfortable so the mother tried to push him over onto her son's lap and the dog didn't even move, he just let her push his front half towards the boy and he basically was face planted into the kid's lap because he never lifted his front paws so his face and chest were in his lap and his front legs were out behind him, he couldn't have cared less lol. He was quite content in his awkward position. I did bring his front legs onto the kid because the poor dog looked so uncomfortable face planted into his lap. Then the boy layed down and Riley slid up onto his belly and layed on him. it was adorable, the boy REALLY wanted him, the mother and sister were divided between him and one other dog. ANYWAY I was wondering what mix you thought he was, I personally think the rescue's guess is bogus and so I slipped my thoughts to this family even though I'm not supposed to, the rescue's guess is no better than mine. He's full grown, about 40 pounds.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
That's what I was thinking. Or Bull Terrier/ACD. His face in the first pic makes me think of a Bull Terrier. That breed is VERY high energy. His description reminds me a of a dog we had a FOHA for a long time who I swear had bull terrier in her! VERY drivey, VERY toy driven, VERY high energy, loved to play with other dogs, was only able to be tired out by the flirt pole!

Maxy24

Thanks for the guesses guys! Keep them coming. This pic is cute too, it goes with the other dog in the picture's description and that is why I did not post it originally. These two would play and play and play but it never got out of hand like it can with some dogs.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My first thought was bull terrier and ACD. I could see pit too, but his face seems bull terrier like to me.

F

FluffyZooCrew

I also vote bull terrier/ACD. That first pic especially makes me see bull terrier in his face. He's a cutie for sure though!

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
That's what I was thinking. Or Bull Terrier/ACD. His face in the first pic makes me think of a Bull Terrier. That breed is VERY high energy. His description reminds me a of a dog we had a FOHA for a long time who I swear had bull terrier in her! VERY drivey, VERY toy driven, VERY high energy, loved to play with other dogs, was only able to be tired out by the flirt pole!
I'll agree with the Bull Terrier part,regardless of the other part(s). :) I don't think it would be ACD and Bull Terrier, because both are prick-eared dogs and this guy has tipped ears ...

~Tucker&Me~

First thing I saw was ACD :) I agree that there's some type of bully breed in there too :)

~Tucker

Maxy24

Thanks guys. When I first saw him I immediately thought pit bull, he's the perfect size and build with the right face. I actually didn't think about ACD but I can certainly see that too. As the day went on, if you looked at his face at the right angle, you could certainly see the Bull Terrier head. I told the prospective family I saw pit bull because she said she lived in a condo and I just had to ask about breed restrictions, I would have hated for them to find out they could adopt the dog and then have the owner of the condo make her get rid of him when he found out he looked like a pit. She didn't seem too put off by it, she admitted that after I said it she could see it in him now but she didn't notice before. I talked to her about how they could have dog issues and that they were great for kids and really active, would be a great jogging partner (which she wanted). She stuck around for another hour or so so I don't think it bothered her too much. She was trying to decide between him and another dog named Rambler. Riley went to sniff Rambler and Rambler gave him a snap in the face (Riley was truly heartbroken), I leashed Riley and moved him to the other side of the pen and the woman came over and told me that it was a helpful interaction and asked which dog snapped, I told her and I think that was a relief for her, to know the dog who I just told her might have DA was not the one snapping at other dogs. She doesn't have any other dogs anyways but her friend has a lab who is a very rowdy player, we both thought they'd be great play mates.

Oh, Save a Dog has him listed as a Lab/Spaniel mix :confused:
I mean, okay Lab could be in there SOMEWHERE, Labs are everywhere. But spaniel? They really avoid calling dogs pits there, it's a real shame. They had one pit that they called a pit for a while, then a Boxer mix, then an American Bulldog mix (he was like 40 pounds and pure black). Another one they didn't list as a pit but mentioned it might be in her in the description. Another one they listed as a "Terrier" mix, alright, it's clever, she was a pit bull though, acted VERY much like one, greatest tug player ever, would play rough with other dogs and it could escalate to a scuffle if you didn't watch. Very sweet and enthusiastic. You really shouldn't lie to adopters like that, especially with a breed that is banned from many places. I'm afraid the family won't be able to get the dog for that reason, I bet they are banned from her condo. When I asked she said there was a size restriction (which I think would prevent them from getting Rambler, he still has some growing to do), she didn't mention a breed one but I wouldn't be surprised.

Gypsydals

I would say there is Bull terrier some where in that dog. As to what else I'm not sure.

Members online

No members online now.