King:Never predictable!

Since I got hurt, and King began jumping the fence, his time outside had dropped drastically. The kid next door isn't able to take him for a long enough walk (An hour, minimum, is what he needs), so I started thinking about doggy day care again. The last time was a total disaster, and I honestly thought he would act the same way as both times I tried it before, jumping, chewing, and basically harrassing some poor dog to the breaking point, and the fight is on.

Since I have a weird schedule, Half days were the most he would stay, a couple days a week. I took him in for his "tryout", and he did fine! I watched him on the webcam, and he seemed oddly "laid back", the only normal action was he peed constantly. They said he was "perfect", so back he went on Monday, and he mostly spent time by himself, patroling the grounds, and, of course, peeing constantly. Amazing capacity, as he really "lays it down", over and over again, and doesn't drink much at all. The people working there were surprised when I told them he would be 10 in December, they thought he was a lot younger.

His lack of insanity worried me in a way. Had he finally "gotten old"? Was there something wrong? Apparently not, as he went ballistic a couple hours after he came home, and acted as insane as ever. At this point, I feared he would come back to life at the day care place, and everything was going to go to hell real quick.

Well, he went two more times, and had no problems. I didn't watch him too much those times, but he supposedly did actually play with a couple of the dogs there, and was very calm and relaxed. He's going back on Sat and Mon. Molly is going on a tryout on Sat, and maybe she will do ok too!

I never really expected him to make it, I should have known, he's never predictable, that's for sure.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I hear you on being injured and not being able to give your dog what you use to. I am sorry.:( Fingers crossed and good vibes that this works out for you.

Thanks, he's doing fine as of Mon afternoon. No insanity, and he still spends most of his time alone, peeing and just wandering around by himself, or sometimes with another dog or two. If something attracts the pack, he forces himself to the front, no matter what, so it's hardly shyness. The workers say he just does what he wants and ignores a lot of the other dogs, even when they outweigh him 2 to 1, and there are a lot of big dogs there.

I'm glad to see him act sane for once. I guess he finally did, at nearly 10 years old, "grow up", at least when he isn't at home. Here, he's the same old whackjob he's always been.

We had a dachshund who was a human biter..she would bite anyone she didn't know, my friends, old people, family members, anyone. And when she was about 11, she just stopped. My friends could come in the same room as her and she could care less about biting them. They could TOUCH her and she would actually lick them, and be nice. I guess with age they just get over some behaviors, and calm down. (She was spayed too).

My former best friend's mom had a little dog, a Toy Manchester and Min Pin mix I think, and it was like that, a really aggressive little terrorist, who attacked almost anyone who got near my friend's mom. Before I moved out of town for seven years, she went after me several times. When I came back, I went over there to visit, and she was much saner than she was when she was young. I actually picked her up and just got growled at a little bit.

He did show some signs of being his usual kooky self when I picked him up today. I had Molly in the car, and as soon as he got in, he began the usual humping and chewing on her. I pulled him off her, and as usual, she got more upset about me making him stop then she was about what King was doing. When we got home, he bounced off the furniture for about 10 minutes, then went to snooze for a while to charge his batteries.

I stayed around and watched him for a while on Monday, and there was a Great Dane that tried and tried to get him to play, but King just ignored him at first, then after the Dane whacked him with his foot, he stiffened up and glared at him, and the poor Dane slunk off. I watched for almost a half hour, and never saw the tip of his tail come off his back, so he's got plenty of confidence. As always. He's just different all of a sudden. I don't get it.

I think the very big Dobe there had the best chance to get him to play. He had two Dobe buddies, one moved and the other one died a while back, and he always seems to be more interested in Dobes than about any other kind of dog, going back to when he was a puppy, and terrorized one at the puppy training place, and the one that stayed at the neighbors house when the owner's house burned up and they were rebuilding. He was all over them, even though both were nearly 100 pounds, versus King's 20-40 pounds at that point in his life. King and Molly's mom looked like a solid black Dobe, with a full tail, and Labbish ears, so I guess it makes sense.

Members online

No members online now.