So, I kinda feel bad but....

xpaeanx

I think I'm going to quit the job I just started this week.

I had applied to my old place of employment out here as well as a bunch of other places. My old place didn't call so I took the job that was closest to my house. But they're scheduling sucks and it's ruining my life! Ok, that's overly dramatic but it does suck.

Anyway, apparently hiring person is out. Today the owner of my old place called and left a vm that they'd love me back. They're scheduling ROCKS! So obviously I want to work there.

So... I'm going to offer this place mon eve, tue, and wed or I'm leaving entirely. I feel bad bc he already started to schedule me for the "important" shifts and the rep was super impressed with me and he's short staffed.... But well, scheduling is SUPER important to me.... Like more so than money or commute at this point in my life.

milos_mommy

Eh, I mean...it's better than waiting until they train you or get used to you and then quitting, I guess.

Can you offer to stay until they find a replacement? Or work PT there and PT your old job until they replace you? That would be nice for them, but honestly you've gotta do what you've gotta do, I wouldn't feel too terrible if you give them 2 weeks notice.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Sometimes you don't know a job isn't a good fit until after you start it. My job before this (between here and the radio station) was one of those. I knew within the first few days I wasn't thrilled... by the end of the first week I was unhappy and knew it was NOT the right fit.

I wouldn't feel too terrible about it. Just let them know it's not the right fit.

xpaeanx

Oh, I am SO not the type of person who leaves someone hanging. They'll get my offered days or 2 weeks. That is their choice.

And I agree, you never know how you will fit(job as well as people) without giving it a try. And the only prob here is the scheduling. Had it been better, I prob would have stayed bc it's an easier commute... But it seriously sucks, and the commute is the *only* thing this job has on my old one.

crazedACD

Was the scheduling discussed in the interview? Can you come to them and tell them you are not happy, you agreed upon such and such hours, and perhaps come to a compromise?

xpaeanx

The guy is... Well kind of a d-bag when it comes to the schedule. I am not avail Sunday bc I drive out of state EVERY Sunday. I never hid that fact AT ALL anywhere or time during the process. He asks me every other hour if I can change it. He put me on to close Sat(8 hour shift) and open Monday(4hour shift) with an 8 hour roadtrip in between that I told him about 90 million times.

My other job has the most AWESOME schedule, laid back co-workers, & more $. But on the schedule alone my old job wins. Basically, there is no compromise where he wins.

xpaeanx

The other thing is that this is a part-time, entry level job while I'm in school. It's not a stepping stone in my career at all. LOL. So I am a hard worker and I won't bail last min on anyone. But we seriously discussed my Sundays multiple times and I gave up watching the SO race his car bc that's on Sat for them. My old job has no problems with my schedule needs(which bc of school my #1 concern for a job is a flexible schedule) and every other aspect wins out. It sucks that things got a little mixed up and if the scheduling here was better(I also HATE short shifts which from talking to other employees that's mostly what he gives but that wasn't the impression I was given initially).

So yeah, I feel bad quitting(which is why I'm offering him days for the summer).... But my old job wins hands down compared to here.

xpaeanx

I don't really do this. But I tend to get a feel for the place before I apply to know if I would like it or not, I also apply based on certain needs bc right now I have no plans to stay any of these places.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
(which bc of school my #1 concern for a job is a flexible schedule)
This is definitely a big deal... and if it's already a problem you can bet it won't get any better once school comes into the mix! I'm glad you have something else lined up, it took me two months to get out of my last job and I was miserable for those two months!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I have since found a part time job the hours (from 4pm-12pm Friday & Saturday) also in the mornings from Friday-Monday I work for OH's boss so I also get a little money there too.

This night job's pay ain't the best but the work atmosphere is really great & for someone like me ... It's worth it.

Members online