Regal Sensi Bites dog food

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I have a question. Bamm's IBS is acting up again, probably due to me giving him a marrow bone especially when he missed a few days of his digestive enhancer that I give him daily to keep him from having diarrhea episodes.

My neighbor who owns the Ibizan Hound Cricket has been playing with mentioned her dog does great on regal sensi bites and that its meant for dogs with allergies issues and digestive tract issues.

Does anyone know anything about this food? Right now I'm feeding Kirkland which is Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. I want Bamm to eat a pretty bland diet because he does get stomach achey pretty easily. He did amazing back when i fed raw a few years ago when he first was diagnosed with IBS. We have a small freezer now though so a full raw diet isn't going to be financially easy to do since I can't buy in bulk which is cheaper in the long run in my opinion.

So... Any food advice? I need something that is affordable but healthy. I prefer no corn obviously and I prefer no soy and preferably gluten free.

I've had customers that tried Natures Variety LID (Lamb or Turkey) and Canine Caviar (Chicken or Lamb) with tremendous success. Natures Variety is a single protein, single starch grain free food. Canine Caviar is a gluten-free food that is extremely digestible. I'm not sure if you can get either of those where you are, but it's worth a shot.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I've had customers that tried Natures Variety LID (Lamb or Turkey) and Canine Caviar (Chicken or Lamb) with tremendous success. Natures Variety is a single protein, single starch grain free food. Canine Caviar is a gluten-free food that is extremely digestible. I'm not sure if you can get either of those where you are, but it's worth a shot.
Only issue being that neither of those are very affordable :/
Though they are both amazing.

The 4th ingredient in Sensi Bites is dried beet pulp. Eww.

Can you get Pure Vita anywhere close to you? They have both grain in and grain free, the grain free is pretty expensive, but I believe the grain-in is pretty affordable. Single source protein. They have a duck and oatmeal that might work for you. If you have any faith in chinese medicine, duck and rabbit are the coldest proteins that you can feed to help cool down the body for allergy purposes. I have Frodo on a duck and rabbit based diet right now for his seasonal allergies.

ETA: If you can't find Pure Vita, Fromm has a VERY similar product to the Duck and Oatmeal, their Duck and Sweet Potato formula. Only real difference is that Fromm has chicken cartilage and sweet potatoes, where PV doesn't.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Natural Balance is a pretty good LID grain free food as well, it's hugely popular at our store with our allergic customers. I prefer their Venison/Sweet Potato and Bison/Sweet Potato formulas, but the ideal ones for allergies are their Fish/Sweet Potato and Duck/Potato recipes. I dunno about prices near you, but the price is really, really reasonable here.

Seconding JLBL and PW, Nature's Variety LID and some Fromm varieties are also both excellent for allergies. Fromm Four Star has three single-protein, single-carb recipes that are awesome for allergies. There's a Whitefish, a Duck, and a Pork formula.

Regal Sensi Bites is limited ingredient, but the second AND third ingredient are different carb sources, and the fourth is beet pulp. Blech.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Natural Balance is a pretty good LID grain free food as well, it's hugely popular at our store with our allergic customers. I prefer their Venison/Sweet Potato and Bison/Sweet Potato formulas, but the ideal ones for allergies are their Fish/Sweet Potato and Duck/Potato recipes. I dunno about prices near you, but the price is really, really reasonable here.

Seconding JLBL and PW, Nature's Variety LID and some Fromm varieties are also both excellent for allergies. Fromm Four Star has three single-protein, single-carb recipes that are awesome for allergies. There's a Whitefish, a Duck, and a Pork formula.

Regal Sensi Bites is limited ingredient, but the second AND third ingredient are different carb sources, and the fourth is beet pulp. Blech.
If you are going to go the Nat Balance route you could check out their Synergy formula. It is pretty much designed to clear up diarrhea. I like their LIDs a little better (though not a fan of the company as a whole, tbh) but I think the Synergy is cheaper.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
If you are going to go the Nat Balance route you could check out their Synergy formula. It is pretty much designed to clear up diarrhea. I like their LIDs a little better (though not a fan of the company as a whole, tbh) but I think the Synergy is cheaper.
Good point, I forgot about the Synergy formula!

Only issue being that neither of those are very affordable :/
Though they are both amazing.
True. :( I didn't see that part of the OP. Sorry!

I second the Fromm recommendation as well. That one is fairly affordable - here it's around $40-$45 for a 30 lb bag, depending on flavor.

Saeleofu

NutriSource has a grain free food now, I don't know much about it, but saw it at the pet store today. It was actually a couple dollars cheaper than TOTW. I'm going to research it and possibly add it into my dogs' rotation, but as of right now I know nothing about it. Might be worth looking into though.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Sal, it is our top seller in my company because it is manufactured in Minnesota. Very decent food, but they only offer chicken and lamb so I don't feed it. They should have 2 more GF formulas coming out soon though, then maybe I will look at it again.

Pure Vita is Nutrisource's holistic line, and I much prefer it to their main line. Their Pure Vita grain free formulas are awesome for allergy dogs and probably my top pick for a good price and still great quality.

Saeleofu

That's good to know. My dogs don't have any meat allergies, so we can use whatever protein source. But they both do SO much better on grain-free - Logan with his poops and Gavroche with his skin lol.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
There isn't anything wrong with lamb or chicken and Frodo doesn't have any allergies, but my work has turned me into a dog food snob :p

There isn't anything wrong with lamb or chicken and Frodo doesn't have any allergies, but my work has turned me into a dog food snob :p
So it's not just me? :lol-sign: I feel like that all the time! Especially when people ask me "Well, what do you feed your dogs?" "Well, today they got bison kibble mixed with beef canned food, and tonight they'll get bison kibble topped mixed with rabbit raw, and then in their Kongs..."

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Synergy is the ONLY kibble I ever feed to Gonzo... anything else he might be ok with for a while, but a random bout of diarrhea could mean a week at the Vet for him. :( I highly recommend it for Mr. B's sensitive tummy! It is absolutely not the best kibble in the world by any means, but it's good, and if you supplement it with fresh meats, kelp, multi-vitamins, fish oils, etc it is pretty dang good.

For the record, I notice MANY dogs who eat Kirkland have loose stool/IBS/frequent diarrhea.

Members online