I'll never understand my dog

cinnamon

Smart dog and stupid owner :) I have a two year old sheltie that is on her best behaviour at agility class and obedience class. She sees the building and can't wait to get inside to do training and learn something new.

WHen I take her around my neighbourhood for a walk I have the most misbehaved animal. I thought we were making progress with the barking and lunging at other dogs but she has regressed alot.

The behaviourist showed me how to click/treat when she looked at something that was scary---other dogs, kids running, bicycles etc. Now tonight she did pretty good at the kids across the street. We passed a couple out for a walk and almost got past them and she decided to just lunge toward them barking.

We walked passed a dog in his backyard (quietly sitting by the fence watching us). Well Breezey runs at him barking. I moved her back about 3 feet and told her to lay down and stay there. And she did.

I better go back and read Click to Calm and memorize it :(

adojrts

When my dog was very dog reactive, I would have him 'watch me', c/r (complete focus on me instead of what he was reacting to). Then we progressed to him, looking at the other dogs, c/r. Don't know if that will help you, but it certainly has worked for us.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
what in the world would you do with a non food motivated dog? I put mine in a sit stay and we do not move until things are under control. No matter what the distraction is. EVen if i have to stand in front of..squat in front of, block the view of whatever is causing such distressing behavior. IF he is unable to sit, we would walk in circles quickly, until we could pass with good behavior. Turn and then come back. DId a whole lot of that with VIc in the beginning, especially the day we were stuck at the fund raiser at the shelter and he was freaked. EVentually we were able to walk past the runs, he had big eyes but wasn't jumping out of his skin. It took better then an hour of going around the field and trying again. SInce we were there for the day, we did it several more times until he got the message that as long as he was with me he was ok.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I am in the same boat with my sheltie too. But he will be in a down stay and still bark and growl at whatever it is. But we are getting an itty bit better everyday. Atleast your dog isnt shooting anal glands everywhere! LOL
Good luck!

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I know exactly what you mean. Sierra knows how to "play the training game" like you wouln't believe! She loves training, and is super smart and quick to pick up new things.

IRL situations however, out on the street, at work with me, she's a completley different dog.

Members online

No members online now.