Fish afraid of light..??

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
My fish seem to hate the tank light. Everytime I turn it on they go darting for the plants and hide in them basically untill I turn off the light at night. When the light isn't on, they swim around a lot. But it's hard to see them, and the tank does look really nice with the lights on.

My question is If I just keep turning the light on with a day/night cycle will they eventually get use to it?

~Thanks!

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Yes. It is likely, if you just got them, that they are still acclimating to their new enviroment. . . they're skiddish. Some fish will always startle right when the light comes on . . . but they'll learn to come back out again . . . especially if you feed right after it comes on.

Unless all your fish are a nocturnal species. . . what do you have?

Kathy29

Some of my previous fishes would dart around whenever the light turned on, but within seconds, they seemed to adjust to it and acted normal again. They didn't hide or anything though.

It usually means they need more hiding places. In bright lights, they would be very visible to predators, so they hide. Once it starts to get dark, they are safer, so they come out to forage.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Falcon may be right . . have you tried adding a wider selection of plants or rocks for them so they feel they have cover?

I don't know but shine a laser pointer in there (not on the fish of course) on the gravel bottom and up the sides of the tank and those fish will go crazy chasing it!

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
ok..good news..

I've been turing on the light, and then feeding them right afterwards, and they seem to be fine already with the light.. Guess they just needed time to adjust to the new surroundings..:D

Members online

No members online now.