Lost My Best Friend

I just thought I would say that the letter or e-mail that serena posted made me cry. My cousin is only 12 and she had to put her sheltie down for the same reasons.

I too experienced the greatest loss of my friend, my soul mate, my beloved Rotweiller, Cyndal, on 14 Jul 03. She was only 7 1/2 when she became ill, unexpectantly, and had to be put to sleep. It broke my heart. I stayed by her side thru 3 days of hospitalization and IV's, but to no avail, her time had come and I knew I had to let her go. Even though I have other dogs that I dearly love, she was a very special part of my life. I had numerous knee surgeries and lived daily in alot of pain. She always knew, and when the others were out playing, she was always there by my side. A day doesn't go by that she is not in my thoughts. There was something special between her and I that no other animal (nor human) will ever be able to replace.
I want to share the following passage that someone gave me:

They say memories are golden.
Well, maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
A million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you,
You never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
No one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway,
And heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven,
And bring you home again.

Our family chain is broken,
And nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one-by-one,
The chain will link again.

Author Unknown

Allyson

Hi all

I know it is so difficult to lose a pet...I've lost too many.

The first pet I ever lost was a siamese named Alice Marie...she was my mom's cat and we had to put her to sleep when she was 18 years old b/c of kidney failure...she was such a good cat and it was hard to lose her. I was 13 at the time and I had grown up with this cat.

I lost another pet when he was 1 1/2 years old. Zack was a beautiful, almost white german shephard with blue eyes. He was hit by a car not far from our house. It was so sad and Patches, our other puppy we had at the time was so distraught over Zack's loss.

Sadly I lost Patches about 4 years later when he was almost five years old...he was hit by a car and it was the hardest loss of all for me because Patches was my dog and I had raised him since he was 2 months old. He was my baby and I still miss that happy go lucky puppy that totally took my heart. He was just the happiest little beagle/walker hound mix.

About a year after that, one of my cats, Sweetie, a tri-color tabby, disappeared. Although, we'll likely never know what happened to him, I believe he is with our other pets that have passed on. He was such a sweet cat (hence the name!) and just loved to be held.

And finally, our most recent loss was our lab, Belle. She is in one of the pictures I recently posted. She was such a loving and loyal dog and lived to be almost 11 years old. We had to put her to sleep in March due to hip dysplasia and arthritis. In the end, she couldn't walk anymore and we just couldn't bear to watch her suffer any longer. It was so difficult to have to watch her go through all she did. Nothing is more difficult to me than watching an animal suffer and all you can do is try to keep them as comfortable as possible and love on them.

It saddens me to think about it all of these losses right now and to think about all of yours too, but I feel that animals are brought into our lives for a reason and taken away for a reason. Its difficult when they leave, but I feel like in the end they don't want us to dwell on their loss, they want us to remember the good times and then when we are ready, to give our love to another animal that needs it. If you think about, its like a continuous cycle and its amazing to me how many animals we will give our love to in our lives.

Right now, we have two black cats, Midnight and Precious, a sheltie named Greta, and the two newest additions, Cowboy and Madison, lab and pitbull mixes. They will never replace the pets my family has lost, but they have helped us to move forward and to heal.

Kathy74

This thread has me in tears! My deepest sympathies to everyone, and thank you for sharing your stories. Personally, I have never gone through this. Serene and Jersey are the first dogs I've ever had, and I can't imagine the pain of saying good bye. When Serene got sick a while ago, I thought that morning we were going to lose her, and I couldn't bear it. I couldn't stand the thought of starting the next day with no "Queen Bean kisses". And I couldn't bear the thought of how Jersey would react to losing her Bean. We were lucky, and our girls are both still very young, and so is Nike (our cat), but Greg and I have discussed it and he knows the burden will fall on him to make the decision to have any of them PTS. It's not fair to him, I know, but I worry that I would hold onto them selfishly after their quality of life is gone, and he is definately the strong one in our home. Serena, your post was great, and I truly believe they are never really gone.

Members online

No members online now.