My sister's new pup

tinies12

My sister just bought a Rottie pup. He is CKC Registered has a two year guar 1st shots and three dewormings. On the two yr guar it states he is guar against CRIPPLING hip displacia! When should my sister get the pup x-rayed? What should she do to prevent this problem? Are guarantee's acceptable and do the breeders follow through? He is a cute little guy! I have to get pic's of the two of them

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Were the parents tested for HD? Did she see their results?
I don't believe a dog can be tested for HD (or most other genetic conditions) until it is at least 2yrs old, so that guarantee doesn't mean much IMO.

As far as I'm aware HD can occur from both genetics and environment...to prevent the latter, just make sure he's not over exercised, doesn't jump around too much (especially not in and out of cars etc.)...basically make sure he doesn't do anything to jar his joints too much until his skeleton has finished growing (12 - 18mths).

As far as genetics go...I don't believe there is anything you can do (except select a pup from parents who have been tested and recieved good results, before they were bred).

Cass.

showpug

Hope the parents are OFA or Penn Hip tested! If she knows the registered names of the sire and dam then she can look them up on the OFA website to see if they are certified.

As far as preventing hip dysplasia - if it's genetic, it's genetic and there isn't much you can do. Make sure the pup is not raised on slippery floors, over-excercised or over-fed. A lot of people want their large dogs to grow too quickly and put on too much weight too fast which can lead to joint problems. Supplementing with Vitamin C and feeding a high quality diet can help as well.

tinies12

Hi thanks again: As far as Michelle the pups parents were certified Sch 1 dogs. She did not see a certificate for the hips on either parent. I don't think she knew what they were in the first place. I will send her this info and ask her to get on board so that she can ask all the questions she needs too.

I do not want to screw things up at all. We all know how sister's can be!!!!!:yikes:

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
If they are working lines, she better get that Rottie into some form of working classes then!!

Definately get the registered names of the parents though! :)

What kennel did she purchase from?

Hip Dysplasia isn't really "preventable".. its genetics more then anything.

Dont let the puppy do hard work until its mature ie. jumping over things, running for long periods of time(especially on hard ground).

That way you dont damage growing joints :)

tinies12

Thankyou all for the great help! You are wonderful! I will get the info from my sister and see what all of you think. Thanks again

Doberluv

Great advice! I wish your sister well. It is so true to get him going in classes as soon as he's had a couple of his series of puppy shots. He'll need to be kept busy. Best of luck to your sis. Yes, and pictures are a must.

tinies12

Yes I will be intouch with Mitch (nick name) this weekend so I will get her to down load the info. Yup Chazhound is the place to be!:cool: :)

bubbatd

^^^^^^^ agree !!!! I let mine do their natural jumping with me not encouraging ..... that is holding sticks up high , high balls or frisbees .

Members online

No members online now.