The Good News thread

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Woke up this morning with no internet and the error, "Your LAN does not have a valid IP configuration." Okay. So I called Comcast, hoping they could talk me through fixing it. What a bunch of inept retards.
"Reboot your router."
"I did. 10 times. That alone isn't going to fix it."
"Well, everything is working on our end. Call someone else."
The HECK? I'm used to making troubleshooting calls to ATP at work, and even though more often than not their customer service sucks, they at least try to help you fix the problem.

So, I turned off my modem and my router. Turned my modem back on. Unplugged and reattached my ethernet cable. Unplugged my internet cable. Did that whole ipconfig/release, renew thing. Reattached my internet cable. Rebooted my router. And wahlah! Internet! Screw you, Comcast guy! I am VICTORIOUS.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My house looks like a bomb site and is covered in thick black dust!!!!!!!!

Why is this good....?

They're putting our inglenook in to house our new log burner :D

Grab

Woke up this morning with no internet and the error, "Your LAN does not have a valid IP configuration." Okay. So I called Comcast, hoping they could talk me through fixing it. What a bunch of inept retards.
"Reboot your router."
The HECK? I'm used to making troubleshooting calls to ATP at work, and even though more often than not their customer service sucks, they at least try to help you fix the problem.

So, I turned off my modem and my router. Turned my modem back on. Unplugged and reattached my ethernet cable. Unplugged my internet cable. Did that whole ipconfig/release, renew thing. Reattached my internet cable. Rebooted my router. And wahlah! Internet! Screw you, Comcast guy! I am VICTORIOUS.
Mine does that sometimes..I always have to unplug/reboot both the router and the modem

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
"Reboot your router."

That's pretty much what he was telling you to do. First level tech support ALWAYS has to tell you to power cycle your devices first. unplug every cable from modem, router, and whatever else may be there.... wait... plug back in and honestly 9 times out of 10... it fixes it.

I used to work for Verizon DSL and we had to MAKE people do that first and if they wouldn't do it then we couldn't help them anymore because if THAT was the issue then nothing else we did would fix it at the time and it would waste everyones time. People would say "I already did that" and we would say "Ok do it again with me on the phone" and guide them through unplugging EVERYTHING and plugging it back in and seriously 9 times out of 10 ... it fixed it and they would be like "Oh... um... that worked" lol

*blackrose

That's pretty much what he was telling you to do. First level tech support ALWAYS has to tell you to power cycle your devices first. unplug every cable from modem, router, and whatever else may be there.... wait... plug back in and honestly 9 times out of 10... it fixes it.

I used to work for Verizon DSL and we had to MAKE people do that first and if they wouldn't do it then we couldn't help them anymore because if THAT was the issue then nothing else we did would fix it at the time and it would waste everyones time. People would say "I already did that" and we would say "Ok do it again with me on the phone" and guide them through unplugging EVERYTHING and plugging it back in and seriously 9 times out of 10 ... it fixed it and they would be like "Oh... um... that worked" lol
He mentioned nothing about the modem. It was just the router he told me to reboot. And I had already done that to no avail.

I think my main issue was that he was obviously going through scripted motions. I think if I had told him my computer was smoking and flashing a pink light he would have ssaidthe exact same thing. And when he got to the end of his script, it was all, "Well...even though the problem is still not fixed, I can't help you anymore." Frustrating.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
He mentioned nothing about the modem. It was just the router he told me to reboot. And I had already done that to no avail.

I think my main issue was that he was obviously going through scripted motions. I think if I had told him my computer was smoking and flashing a pink light he would have ssaidthe exact same thing. And when he got to the end of his script, it was all, "Well...even though the problem is still not fixed, I can't help you anymore." Frustrating.
They do have a script. The base level tech support is very basic and they have to follow a set of steps or they get in trouble. BUT if your problem is not solved by first level techs they are supposed yo send you on to the next level

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie

All tech support work through scripts, especially first level folks. That's what they're supposed to do. :) In general the scripted cases solve a good 90% of issues without having to move up the ladder.

Moral of the story: Always power cycle everything first! To this day it solves most of my tech issues.

*blackrose

All tech support work through scripts, especially first level folks. That's what they're supposed to do. :) In general the scripted cases solve a good 90% of issues without having to move up the ladder.

Moral of the story: Always power cycle everything first! To this day it solves most of my tech issues.
If rooboting ever doesn't work, where would I call to get more indepth support? Had that not worked, I don't know what I would have done.

Regardless: extremely glad it worked. I can't survive without internet. No netflix and no skype with Michael!

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
If rooboting ever doesn't work, where would I call to get more indepth support? Had that not worked, I don't know what I would have done.

Regardless: extremely glad it worked. I can't survive without internet. No netflix and no skype with Michael!
they would have had more people they can transfer you to

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
To go right along with my vent. I am feeling pretty good :) which is amazing considering I got dumped recently and it's finals week.. but considering how deep this relationship went, I am proud of myself for how much I've grown since my last relationship.

Co-dependency/not being able to function without another person used to be something I HEAVILY romanticized (thanks twilight.).. but now I know that I'm just fine, just me. Breakups suck and it does still hurt, and I loved and I lost..but I don't feel like the sky is falling either.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
To go right along with my vent. I am feeling pretty good :) which is amazing considering I got dumped recently and it's finals week.. but considering how deep this relationship went, I am proud of myself for how much I've grown since my last relationship.

Co-dependency/not being able to function without another person used to be something I HEAVILY romanticized (thanks twilight.).. but now I know that I'm just fine, just me. Breakups suck and it does still hurt, and I loved and I lost..but I don't feel like the sky is falling either.
<3 <3 <3

Rock on Fran. You're awesome.

SpringerLover

Courage is now Vivien. She's been in foster-to-adopt limbo while her potential new owner is waiting to hear about a new job. I spoke with the new owner today and she is still thrilled! I am so happy, even with all the stress it caused, that I decided to take her. Even when I'm broke, it's worth it to know she's alive, safe, and happy.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

^^yah, that. When you restart it on the phone with them, they can see you restarted it and tried it. Then when that doesn't work, they can send you higher. They dont want to pay somebody to go to you to restart it if you can yourself.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
This. Had you unplugged everything while
On the phone tey likely would have done more but I know when I worked tech support first level... If the customer refused
To do that then we
Couldn't do much else
For them at the time. There were times where they did that and it didn't work and then we would go more indepth and then if none of that worked we would transfer them to second level.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie

Awesome Fran. :) Be awesome, be sad, and then be awesome again.

In somewhat similar good news, the ex-BF has been posting pics of himself and his new GF on Facebook, and I'm proud, relieved and happy to say that I feel no jealousy, no uncomfortable-ness, no ill anything really. Just major happiness for him that he's finally finding his feet after this breakup and that he's experiencing a rebirth of sorts as well.

It's nice that we can talk as friends periodically now, and there's no longer that sound of longing in his voice. He's excited for projects he's taking on and experiences he's having. And they're separate from mine, and we can talk about them. I could finally talk about Marshall with him without feeling bad.

Plus the GF is a really awesome girl. She helped us move when we sold the house and I was kind of hoping it was a Thing. :X So, hooray for eventual happy beginnings!

*blackrose

^^yah, that. When you restart it on the phone with them, they can see you restarted it and tried it. Then when that doesn't work, they can send you higher. They dont want to pay somebody to go to you to restart it if you can yourself.
When he told me to restart the router I did with him on the phone. Afterwards I was still having the same issue and he said, "I'm sorry, everything looks like it is working, call your router company" and that was that; no more help. Which was why I was so perturbed. BUT, good to know that there are actual higher ups that can provide additional help should the situation call for it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
When he told me to restart the router I did with him on the phone. Afterwards I was still having the same issue and he said, "I'm sorry, everything looks like it is working, call your router company" and that was that; no more help. Which was why I was so perturbed. BUT, good to know that there are actual higher ups that can provide additional help should the situation call for it.
I will bet money he was new lol

Members online

No members online now.