What Else Can I Do?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Tonight at church there was a loose dog - no tags but 2 collars (one regular nylon then another chain).

I couldn't do anything, pound is closed, vet is closed, and no owner in sight. I couldn't take him home but I HATED to leave him their on the side walk of a busy street. He was pretty happy to see people and took right away to me calling "here puppy". But was very tense/stiff when you started to pet him. And started to go out in the road (at this point I was still inside and just had to look away :() and ran straight back to the curb at the first car zooming by.

I don't know what do you any more! :mad: This isn't the first time it's happened before - different dogs.

What more can I do?

Oh, he looked to be a coonhound-ish mix.

Paige

Let it be
There isn't really anything you can do sadly. I'm pretty bad about bringing them home.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I would have too, but I can't bring home every dog I see out there (3-4 a month).

No joke, this town is TERRIBLE about loose dogs. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I have about lost/loose dogs. :(

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Not much. Doesn't it suck?

I see a ton of dogs I never take home, for a variety of reasons. Not much you can do. :(

Paige

Let it be
Around here it's bad too. I have three regulars that don't often leave my house. I know where they live so I just let them linger. Any ones I can't find the owners of go to the SPCA. I only take them if they are friendly though.

I found a bulldog yesterday. OH MY GOD CUTEST BUNDLE OF WRINKLY LOVE EVER. I was <-> close to bringing him home.

zoe08

I now have the number to call Animal control programed into my phone since they have been talking about all the loose dogs and attacks on the news. They are supposed to answer 24 hours a day I think so next time I see a loose dog I will call. Before we had a couple wander up to our garage and one dog had a tag for one of those pet places that I think does chips, but it said it was from a humane society in a city 100 miles from here. But there wasn't anything we could do cuz I was afraid to put them together with our 3 dogs.

bubbatd

I don't go around looking for strays , but if one comes up to me I bring it home or bring it into my yard or garage . From there on it's calling Animal Control and HS for lost dog ...vets ...and have a micro chip check . Then I try Petfinder for lost/found dogs and finally a breed rescue ( if I have a clue ! ) Some people just don't care !!! I had a flea bitten Boston Terror ( yup! ) snoring in my ear for 4 days ( much to Ollie's chagrin ) until he was adopted . One huge Dane/mastiff gal liked it here so much she came back 5 times !!! Luckily she was micro chipped .....I haven't seen her for over a year .....hope she didn't get hit as she lived at least a 1/2 mile away .

bubbatd

If I took them to the HS it costs me too much !!! AC could mean death .

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Trust me, I don't go looking for these dogs LOL! But people seem to think that letting your dog loose on a busy highway is perfectly fine to do and "me dog could never get hit"

Or, here's the best one. My jaw hit the ground when I heard this one *sarcasm*

"Ohhh it's just (blanks) dogs, no one calls AC on them, there sweet"

Grammy, AC could mean death, but I know the AC people (2 people) pretty well and they would notify me or try to find a home for it is it's adoptable. They try not to put a dog down unless it has to be.

bubbatd

Agree Lizmo ....I've been called and have picked up Goldens .....it's the mutts I worry about .

Members online

No members online now.