Need Help From you Doberman People!

Or really anyone with some suggestions. We have aquired a 1 yr old male doberman at work. He was an owner surrender at animal control because "he has no spirit." Well lady, you've owned him since he was 6 weeks old, who do you think broke his spirit, but I digress.
"Rock" has had absolutly no hands on socialization. He couldn't care less about people, he will allow you to touch him, but he has no interest in seeking affection. I spent 5 hours with him today, and I could barely get him to look at me. He just stood there with his head hanging down, staring at the floor.
At first, he wouldn't even look at the treats I showed him, but by the end of the day, he was eating some canned cat food that I offered him. He mostly just stood there while I talked to him and petted him. He is leashtrained and was happy to go for a walk in the woods with me. He walked next to me on the trail, but still didn't seek any touching.
I did notice, that by the end of the day, he did want to be close to me. If I stood, he followed me around the room, but still didn't ask for pets. He is good with other dogs.
His ears have one of the worst crop jobs I have ever seen. Not only is it not a doberman crop, the ears aren't even the same size. One turns outwards and the other flops over backwards. My guess would be it was done in the garage with an iron and a pair of scissors.
How can I help this dog? I think that by the end of the day, we were starting to bond a bit and I plan on being there tomorrow to work with Rock some more. I plan on bringing some hot dog pieces and other yummy bits of meat to help him understand that I will always bring him good things. Certainly lots of walks on the trail because that seems to make him happy.
I know there are many wonderful doberman people on the boards, so is there anything I should be looking for that is breed specific? Also, can someone recommend a good site on doberman colors? He is the strangest color, almost as if a blue and a red somehow combined.
At this point, the best that can be said about this dog is that he has no agression in him. He has been good to all people and other dogs, although we are limiting his ineraction with people at this point. Of course, the optimist in me says that at least there is almost no place to go but up with this guy!
Any suggestions about bonding with him and helping him would be greatly appreciated by both Rock and myself.

Doberluv

Oh my! Kudos to you for giving this poor guy a loving home. It sounds like he may have been very neglected and under stimulated is an understatement. It's hard to know for sure. Does he act afraid of anyone or anything? Or is it plainly a depression sort of thing? The first thing I'd do is have him thoroughly examined by a vet, blood work and all. Dogs don't come pre-wired to love petting. That's a human or primate thing, so give him time. I think it shows progress that he is beginning to follow you around. The walks in the woods sound great. It sounds like he just needs to spend some time finding out that the world is good and that you will take care of him and be there for him. Hang out together and don't push the petting until he seems to be ready for it. Let him know that you have all the good stuff, although I wouldn't carry any NILIF to any great significance now. Whenever he comes close to you, give him a little treat. When he shows interest in a toy or whatever you would like to see him do, give him a little treat. See if he'll instigate a little game and show him that you'll join in when he is ready. I think in time, he'll come around. After he's more comfortable and confident in his new place, try introducing him to a few people and always associate things you're socializing him to with whatever he loves most.

I think this is exciting to think that he will get some happiness in life. Remember: from this day forth. Don't let yourself dwell on his possible past because he isn't thinking about that. Be positive, cheerful, confident and don't tip toe too much around him. Huge kudos to you. Do keep us posted as time goes on.

Doberluv

What happened? Are you still around? I am wondering about your Doberpup and how he's doing. If you're alive, it would have been nice to get a response to my reply to your questions.

Does anyone know where the OP is? Or if he/she is all right? Things like this really worry me. It sounded as if he/she were really concerned about this dog.

Members online

No members online now.