I'm giving in and not happy!!

angie8023

I love my Sancho
I have been going through a bit of an ordeal. My dog is having an allergic reaction to fleas. I think I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of the fleas and nothing works. I feel so bad for him:( It is starting to effect his ears. Which it has never done before. I am going to the vet later today. The last time I went they put him on capstar, an antibiotic, and a steroid. The capstar helped temporarily. The antibiotic did get rid of the iritation. The steroid did nothing but make him drink a lot, hence constant urination. I have made the switch from Nutro to Canidea. I have also started putting fish oil in his food as well. I am so lost:confused: I really don't want to go back to the vet but I feel so bad for him. I hope this is the last time we have to go! Wish me luck!

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Angie, I can't remember - have you tried both Advantage AND Frontline? Usually one will work if the other doesn't. Here is what I would do:

Get the Capstar for sure, but be aware that it does not kill fleas, it basically makes them all jump off the dog immediately but only lasts a few hours and then the fleas are right back. Use it in conjunction with Advantage or Frontline, whichever one you haven't tried. Do NOT bathe the dog. Bathing within 48 hours before or after administering Advantage or Frontline will reduce the effectiveness.

Remove the dog from the house for a couple of days immediately after giving the Capstar. Do you have a friend or relative you can take him to for a little while so he can get some relief and you can treat your house? Board him if you have to, while you treat your house AND yard for fleas. I don't know the best product for treating your house and yard, but there are lots of them out there.

When I first rescued Charlie from the puppymill he was absolutely CRAWLING with fleas so I know how horrible it can be. Goodluck!

angie8023

I love my Sancho
I really appreciate your input:) He has been on Frontline for almost a year. The really bad itching started happening 3 months ago. I decided to switch him to Advantage and that hasn't done much. I think your right about getting him out of here for a couple of days. I am going to do it this weekend. Thanks again for your advice!

elegy

overdogged
are you sure he has fleas? have you seen fleas on him? flea dirt?

if yes, have you treated your house?

switching foods isn't going to do anything if his allergy is to fleas. not that switching to canidae isn't a good thing (i think it's a great food), but it's not going to do anything to help a flea or environmental allergy.

have you called the vet and said "hey this isn't helping"?

angie8023

I love my Sancho
I'm positive it's fleas. I've treated the apartment twice. I am planning on doing it again this weekend. I went back to the vet today. She put him an antibiotic and capstar. Hopefully this will do the trick. I will keep everyone posted:)

Doberluv

I had a horrible infestation of fleas one time in the house I lived in in western Washington....before I lived here in Idaho. (no fleas at all where I live now) Anyhow, it was a huge house, almost 4000 sq ft and only a couple years old. Suddenly, not only did the dogs and cats have bad fleas but they were EVERYWHERE!!! GROSS!!!! Even in the garage...you'd see them hopping around. It was disgusting! They were thick. I didn't mess with bombs or sprays. I hired Flea Busters. They came out and did my whole house. Apparently the stuff they use is not toxic. It kills fleas by suffocation. I later, bought just the stuff and did it myself. But the company will come out and do everything....it gets brushed into all cushions, under the moldings, every sq. inch. It lasts for a year or more as long as you don't shampoo your carpet. And let me tell you. IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY. So, that is what I recommend for treating your house.

This stuff does not go on the dogs. You have to treat with something else. I don't understand why Advantage or something like that wouldn't work. But the house and even your yard, if it's got fleas in it needs to be treated. Or they just get right back on the dog. I am so sorry he's suffering so. They are the nastiest things. Sometimes I think of moving back to western Washington but then I think of those fleas. Ugggggg. Here is it too cold in winter I guess....for some reason, no fleas at all.

bubbatd

I've only used the K9Advantix ... haven't had fleas in years . Frontline didn't work at all .

angie8023

I love my Sancho
Thanks again for everyones advice. I am planning on bombing the apartment again. I am also going to make sure that my room mates dog is on frontline as well. I think that also had something to do with it. I will keep everyone posted.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Hope it works. If it doesn't, try a different steroid. Perhaps the one she gave just wasn't effective for him. Try another. Different animals handle drugs different ways.

Members online

No members online now.