What are you working on?

I like it a lot! I did it previous to behavior medication with Frodo and just ended up frustrated and got nowhere, I couldn't even count to 5 out loud before he would shut down and slink off the mat.

After starting meds we went through a period of him offering relaxed positions when he wasn't actually relaxed at all. Eventually we got to actual relaxing.

I'm excited about the prospect of actually being able to take it on the road now that the weather is getting nice. I think taking frodo's mat along and tossing it on the ground when we see another dog is going to do wonders for him. He functions so much better when he is in work mode and knows what is expected of him.
Kinda weird, but would you mind videoing one of the sessions. I'd like to see Frodo and just watch the body languange and how you're rewarding, etc. Weird, I know. I have the recordings for Relaxation Protocol. I'd just like to be able to have a visual.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm working hard with Fable on her impulse control. Right now I am so glad I bought Control Unleashed for the exercises even though I don't do agility (at the moment).

SpringerLover

I'm doing something wrong!

Dixie is now offering sit to be let out of her crate but she still doesn't offer it in general. I'm trying to capture sit and down when she goes to the dog bed to lie down but I haven't captured behaviors in quite a while so I'm a little slow... she also does this adorable bow/stretch thing I'm more successful at capturing than sit and down.

Sekah

The Monster.
I'm doing something wrong!

Dixie is now offering sit to be let out of her crate but she still doesn't offer it in general. I'm trying to capture sit and down when she goes to the dog bed to lie down but I haven't captured behaviors in quite a while so I'm a little slow... she also does this adorable bow/stretch thing I'm more successful at capturing than sit and down.
I'm not big on capturing, I admit, but I'm not sure why you're trying to capture these behaviours. If you don't feel like luring, why not try shaping instead?

Either way, try bringing the dog into a boring room like a bathroom and closing the door, creating a captive audience. That's the kind of environment I'd try to use if I were attempting this.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Kinda weird, but would you mind videoing one of the sessions. I'd like to see Frodo and just watch the body languange and how you're rewarding, etc. Weird, I know. I have the recordings for Relaxation Protocol. I'd just like to be able to have a visual.
Sure! When I initially started doing RP I was rewarding for both when each task was complete, as well as whenever I saw relaxed body language (soft eyes, big sighs, etc.) but the veterinary behaviorist recommended stopping the latter, especially since he will "fake" relaxed positions a lot. She also said that the science behind the protocol is meant to work with rewarding after each task, not when they offer those things.

Frodo will still offer things like head down on the mat, but I just reward when the task is finished, no matter what he is doing. Sometimes he will stand up, or even meander off the mat, I just continue rewarding at the end of each task (putting the food on the mat as if he was still there) and we will mosey back onto the mat and lie back down. I do this because I know as he is getting up and moseying off that it is in a relaxed state, and I think that is better than when he is on the mat, staring me down I'M WORKING I'M WORKING!! Because he shouldn't be working, he should be relaxing!

Over time, by just rewarding the mat and ignoring what Frodo is doing, I have seen a huge reduction in his thinking the mat means work. When we started (after meds) he would glue his head to the mat and his little nub would just wag continually, because WE ARE WORKING! Now it is like, he chooses to be on the mat and do nothing and be fed, rather than wandering off and doing nothing and not being fed. Does that make sense? I don't know if what I'm trying to get across is coming through with this. :eek:

I will try and video in the next few days, I need to find my memory card, lol. And I will see if I can scrounge up one of our old videos so that you can see the difference.
Also, I will video Siri as well. It's amazing (to me at least) how fast she picks up the idea of "Oh hey, I'm just supposed to chill. Cool!" It was in our very first session.
Ah, the difference between working with an operant "normal" puppy, and a dog whose world is continually falling apart and being rebuilt.

SpringerLover

I'm not big on capturing, I admit, but I'm not sure why you're trying to capture these behaviours. If you don't feel like luring, why not try shaping instead?

Either way, try bringing the dog into a boring room like a bathroom and closing the door, creating a captive audience. That's the kind of environment I'd try to use if I were attempting this.
It's not a behavior she really does, and she's just learning how to learn... shaping hasn't been going all that well. Sessions are still super, super short and mostly involve eye contact, nose-to-hand targeting, and being okay with me touching her.

She's easily frightened and shut down by me being too excited about anything and is petrified of me doing anything that involves play. Reaching over her in any fashion usually results in sad dog eyes and possibly bolting. Much more than I bargained for, that's for sure.

I'm always open to advice, and I can try to record a "shaping" session today if that'll help! She's definitely the most challenging foster I've had yet because just getting her to eat reliably was hard. Any contact used to send her to the floor... she did not think petting was a good thing. Now she demands to be pet whenever she comes out of her kennel but can still be weird about it when it's unsolicited.

She actually reminds me a lot of a retired greyhound, but without all the good people exposure they get.

SpringerLover

Well, apparently "regular" canned food and squeeze cheese aren't high value enough. I bought a few 5.5oz cans on sale during our outing last night... this is the result.

I've never had her be THAT engaged and actually thinking about what to do for the food! Good girl!

http://youtu.be/O95IplqG32A

Sure! When I initially started doing RP I was rewarding for both when each task was complete, as well as whenever I saw relaxed body language (soft eyes, big sighs, etc.) but the veterinary behaviorist recommended stopping the latter, especially since he will "fake" relaxed positions a lot. She also said that the science behind the protocol is meant to work with rewarding after each task, not when they offer those things.

Frodo will still offer things like head down on the mat, but I just reward when the task is finished, no matter what he is doing. Sometimes he will stand up, or even meander off the mat, I just continue rewarding at the end of each task (putting the food on the mat as if he was still there) and we will mosey back onto the mat and lie back down. I do this because I know as he is getting up and moseying off that it is in a relaxed state, and I think that is better than when he is on the mat, staring me down I'M WORKING I'M WORKING!! Because he shouldn't be working, he should be relaxing!

Over time, by just rewarding the mat and ignoring what Frodo is doing, I have seen a huge reduction in his thinking the mat means work. When we started (after meds) he would glue his head to the mat and his little nub would just wag continually, because WE ARE WORKING! Now it is like, he chooses to be on the mat and do nothing and be fed, rather than wandering off and doing nothing and not being fed. Does that make sense? I don't know if what I'm trying to get across is coming through with this. :eek:

I will try and video in the next few days, I need to find my memory card, lol. And I will see if I can scrounge up one of our old videos so that you can see the difference.
Also, I will video Siri as well. It's amazing (to me at least) how fast she picks up the idea of "Oh hey, I'm just supposed to chill. Cool!" It was in our very first session.
Ah, the difference between working with an operant "normal" puppy, and a dog whose world is continually falling apart and being rebuilt.
Thank you so much. And actually, yes, what you say does make sense :)

DJEtzel

Rear. End. Awareness.

Seriously, Recon stinks. Our agility future is bleak because I jump to assumptions way too fast, so I want to start getting good obedience foundations NAO. Shaping the bowl to stand on today started with great success after staring at said bowl for about 10 minutes... much better than the lure work we've done with it though because he actually KNOWS that his feet are there this time. I just want a nice "find heel" :(

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
May 4th. May 4th we are meeting up with a new IPO (WDA) club which will hopefully be a good fit AND we've been invited to a new dock dogs club. It will be SO nice to have a support system again.

I think I am going to take the potentially dumb leap of registering B for his CD or maybe choke and go for a BN at the western specialty in June. I would like to sign Sloan up for agility but I need to get a few runs in locally and am still SAPing contacting the trainer with full courses here. (Everyone together, stop being weird and email her, she's probably very nice)

Not really anything we're working on but I felt like putting that date as excitement and my plans for the western specialty out there. Also they offer CAT runs. :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Today on our walk we worked on down/stay exercises. Siri, or course, nailed them all. Frodo, of course, was like "Ugh, but it's WARM and OUTSIDE and WHY DO I HAVE TO LIE DOWN?!" but he did them anyway since I was the one with the food :p

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Starting Summer on odor tonight. Should be.... Interesting.
How'd it go?

Because I wasn't sure that this needed its own thread I shall share this here.

We had a great time again with the new club we're trying out. There were more people out this time and we met the helper. We really liked the helper and he was super animated and engaging, he wasn't harsh with pressure but he gave a great fight which our dogs loved. He was impressed with Backups obed routine and confused by the way I speak of him, maybe I should stop badmouthing my dog so much. LOL They said he was flashy and wondered why I don't have my BH yet.

Sloan did well and they pushed Denis to go back to a play out play game with some no-fight corrections. It was exhausting but it seemed to help. When bitework came they were blown away by Sloan this time. She was rather quiet last time because we took her out on a fursaver and I think she choked herself out, we don't allow pulling on the collar so she was gasping for air while trying to bark and dirty bite, chaos is her style lately. This time she was on a harness and was loud and continuous. She took the helper off guard and almost knocked him over, hence tasmanian devil bitch, I don't think he expected her to hit that hard. She was frantic though and they want to work on calming her, she can't think at this state. They love her drive but she needs a lot of control right now.

When Backup came out he looked great. Nice calm bites, steady barks, great blind cornering into a solid h/b. He was a bit careful on the courage test though, he went slightly wide instead of a straight line, he didn't lose speed and hit hard but they want him a bit straighter. He's a very herdy-circley dog so curving lines are his style but it comes across and may have something to do with insecurities. I wouldn't be shocked, this is only the second person he's ever taken a bite from besides Denis and Gary who started him and the first was just a few post and leash h/b bites, nothing with pressure. They said he was "almost perfect".

All around we're super proud and excited that after about 9 months off training, aside from a bit of dappling by ourselves recently, they're really doing well. Good puppies!

My long update but we're over all very happy with them. :)

FG167

How'd it go?

Because I wasn't sure that this needed its own thread I shall share this here.

We had a great time again with the new club we're trying out. There were more people out this time and we met the helper. We really liked the helper and he was super animated and engaging, he wasn't harsh with pressure but he gave a great fight which our dogs loved. He was impressed with Backups obed routine and confused by the way I speak of him, maybe I should stop badmouthing my dog so much. LOL They said he was flashy and wondered why I don't have my BH yet.

Sloan did well and they pushed Denis to go back to a play out play game with some no-fight corrections. It was exhausting but it seemed to help. When bitework came they were blown away by Sloan this time. She was rather quiet last time because we took her out on a fursaver and I think she choked herself out, we don't allow pulling on the collar so she was gasping for air while trying to bark and dirty bite, chaos is her style lately. This time she was on a harness and was loud and continuous. She took the helper off guard and almost knocked him over, hence tasmanian devil bitch, I don't think he expected her to hit that hard. She was frantic though and they want to work on calming her, she can't think at this state. They love her drive but she needs a lot of control right now.

When Backup came out he looked great. Nice calm bites, steady barks, great blind cornering into a solid h/b. He was a bit careful on the courage test though, he went slightly wide instead of a straight line, he didn't lose speed and hit hard but they want him a bit straighter. He's a very herdy-circley dog so curving lines are his style but it comes across and may have something to do with insecurities. I wouldn't be shocked, this is only the second person he's ever taken a bite from besides Denis and Gary who started him and the first was just a few post and leash h/b bites, nothing with pressure. They said he was "almost perfect".

All around we're super proud and excited that after about 9 months off training, aside from a bit of dappling by ourselves recently, they're really doing well. Good puppies!

My long update but we're over all very happy with them. :)
That's awesome! I know EXACTLY how you feel, we felt the same thing when we found our current club to work Pan and Kastle at. It's such a good, happy feeling to know you have someplace again and can work on goals!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
That's awesome! I know EXACTLY how you feel, we felt the same thing when we found our current club to work Pan and Kastle at. It's such a good, happy feeling to know you have someplace again and can work on goals!
Totally, I'm happy for you too as well!

Bloo and I have almost perfected jumping into my arms and a chest rebound. She's pretty badass.
You're nuts, how big is Baloo? I would so be afraid of that with a pit bull. LOL

Diesel finished his first agility class, and starts the next level on Tuesday, I'm so excited, I have to get him more focused on me because he just does what he thinks I want him to do, lol, but he has fun and he has to think!

Bristol starts CGN class tomorrow, I'm hoping to get her trained to be a therapy dog.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin not being a jerk 101.

- Stop randomly peeing at the store! you KNOW better! You haven't peed inside since forever, WHYYY?? And it's not even marking, it's like HUGE just regular ridiculous peeing for no reason, even if he's been out! ugh!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Bloo and I have almost perfected jumping into my arms and a chest rebound. She's pretty badass.
Ahhh I REALLY want a jump into my arms with Payton! But he wasn't really game for it when we were trying to teach it a while back. I wonder if now that he's older and more confident with his jumping if he might do it now...

Payton jumped on top of a pile of sod my parents brought home. My mom was covering up her plants (it's supposed to get down to almost freezing tonight) and covered up this wagon she has... then late Payton out and he jumped on the wagon. On top of all her plants. Whoops. She blames me but I DIDN'T TEACH HIM TO DO THAT.

Members online

No members online now.