you gotta love this guy

Xandra

Ironic . . . the U.S.M.C. mascot is an ENGLISH bulldog and AMERICAN Pit Bull Terriers are banned from bases.
My thoughts exactly. Why would choose one of the least athletic breeds of dog, which originates overseas and is bred strictly for show or pet for your mascot, when your country is home to the gamest and one of the most athletic breeds in the word. Silliness, I tell you!!

James Mattison sounds pretty awesome but then I wonder if that attitude is really best applied to the current situation.

My thoughts exactly. Why would choose one of the least athletic breeds of dog, which originates overseas and is bred strictly for show or pet for your mascot, when your country is home to the gamest and one of the most athletic breeds in the word. Silliness, I tell you!!
You're kinder than I am, lol. I'd call it rank hypocrisy and ignorance.

Miakoda

In their defense, the English Bulldog of 1922 was NOTHING like the modern day EB. In fact, even as recent as the early 1960's, the EB resembled the current Olde English Bulldogge more than the current EB.

Regardless, the APBT has a rich, and totally positive, American history, and it should've been adopted as the marines mascot.

At one time, the US was proud to use the APBTs image to refer to the country, as is obvious by all the WWI and WWII propoganda posters and whatnot.

Pops2

yeah, when the subject of banning pits on bases was brought up in the Marine Corps Times, a person wrote in to suggest changing the mascot to the pit as being more fitting representation of the Marines. unfortunately it wasn't well written. I responded w/ the suggestion of adopting the American Bulldog as a way of retaining the bulldog tradition and still using a more fit & capable emblem to inspire the Marines.
I highly reccommend a letter writing campaign to both the Commandant & the congressional reps responsible for the militaries budgets.

Miakoda

Pops, I would LOVE to write a letter on that issue. I am a HUGE American History buff, and I could sooo tell them how it is. lol

Members online

No members online now.