Leaky giant schnauzer

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Sasha, my dad's giant schnauzer leaks urine. My dad would love to keep her in the house, but she leaks every time she lays down. Dad said that she has been doing this since she has gotten spayed. Sasha is 2 yrs old, and did have parvo as a puppy.

Did the vet mess the spay up?
any ideas why she is doing this?

Saintgirl

My Abbey has spay incontinence. The vet can treat it with estrogen or their are homeoepathic remedies like Leaks No More that you can buy in specialty pet stores. I have tried both remedies, estrogen when she first started leaking. It did help, but I personally wasn't a fan of long term hormone repacement therapy. I had success with the leaks no more, but we have long been off of that as well. Luckily Abbey has a very mild form of incontinence and leaks only a couple of drops when she stands up but only on occasion.

Spay incontinence is a common side effect of the spay surgery. Let your Dad know to keep her sanitary areas clipped to keep the urine off of her fur to prevent smell and even urine burn on her skin. Your Dad can even get diapers for her if he wants to keep her in the house. One of my clients rescued a poodle with horrible spay incontinence and she keeps her diapered only taking the diaper off when she has her outside. Good luck!!

elegy

overdogged
She should have a urine sample checked by the vet to make sure there isn't anything else going on, but simple spay incontinence is usually pretty effectively treated by one of two different medications (either an estrogen supplement or PPA).

luce has had this problem for years. she takes meds twice a day, and it's very well controlled.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
that you all!
Sasha pees a river she she is asleep and doesnt even notice and. and plus the leaking.

i didnt know it was so common!

Amanda885

aw, poor dog! i would check back with your vet, or even a different vet to get a different opinion. good luck! keep us posted. im sorry to hear !

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
We've had great success with Leaks No More by Homeopet for more mild issues but for something a little more major then we recommend looking into PPA (lots of clients are doing well on it and one of our humane dogs has to be on it too and is doing well).

norasdad

as i understand it, there are 2 kinds of incontinence - spay incontinence, due to lack of hormones from the (missing) ovaries, treated with DES or other hormone supplement, and genetic (inherited) incontinence, treated with PPA (brand name Proin). Genetic incontinence is common in Giant Schnauzers [ask me how i know]; some people trace it back to a single popular stud dog used by many show breeders in the 1970s or 1980s.

You might want to check out 2 active Giant Schnauzer email lists: Giant at G I A N T - the first email discussion group for the Giant Schnauzer, & Giant Schnauzer Cafe at Yahoo! Groups

bubbatd

What a shame . I agree with diapers until things can be sorted out and the poor girl can still be part of the family ,

Members online

No members online now.