Puppy problems!

We just got a 9 weeek old basset hound puppy. As we introduced her to the two older males in the house (8 year old Golden and 5 year old Chow mix) the golden got along with her great. Yet my chow mix growls anytime the puppy tries to play or get near him. We thought we could have avoided this problem because of the different genders, but i guess not. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem, and also how long does this last?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Has your chow mix been around puppies before? I had the same problem with my golden retriever: she just didn't like puppies. I'd give your dog a few weeks to come around. As long as the puppy heeds the warning and the chow doesn't become aggressive, I wouldn't worry yet. Just be sure to keep an eye on them whenever they're in the same room together.

Debi

I agree. sometimes all that growling isn't anything more serious than letting the new pup know who's boss. just never let them alone together, introduce the pup slowly, and see how it goes. when Ham was a pup, Addie would make all sorts of growling noises, yet it was never aggression. she still does that, even when playing. Ham now just takes her in stride, but he does understand his place. :)

T

tiivi

I agree with both who replied to you. Some dogs who are not used to being around pups can even be afraid of them. Keep an eye on them and see if it passes when your chow-mix gets used to the puppy (this can last few weeks or so).

Doberluv

I agree. Just be very, very careful of your baby. He must be so cute....any photos? Congrats.

When we brought our newest addition into the house our 2 older rescue boys didn't care for him at all (and still don't).. The puppy is learning to stay away from them by just the 2 older ones giving him a slight growl and an air snap. We never leave the puppy alone with the older ones just to be safe. The puppy is slowly learning to respect their crankiness...LOL

Julie

I am back again.
I had a chow/malamute mix, passed at the age of 12 years.
I had puppies living with him, he never liked them as pups or adults.

The pups learned very quickly not to play with him. They just always stayed a few steps away from him. Which worked for everyone. He was not dog aggresive to the extreme or anything. Just didn't like to be bothered by pups or dogs.

I do believe that if the pups didn't get the hint quickly, I would have had a dog bite. But in my case it just never came to that. Just be careful, things can happen rather quickly.

Best of Luck,

Congrats on the new pup:) My suggestion take the chow and pup away from home to a neutral zone and let them get to now each other away from the chow's territory. That should help them get to know each other.

Members online