kirkland dog food

iluvdogs

So I hear about this Kirkland dog food a few times on here, I am just wondering how good of a dog food it was??

My boss use to feed her lab that, but it made her gain sooo much weight!!..She was over 100 lbs at one point!!

Maxy24

I've been unable to find the ingredients so I don't know how it is. the thing with a new food causing weight gain is that it can happen with any food but it's up to the owner to say "hey she's putting on some weight, she must not need as much of this new food as I'm giving her!". Many dogs will need less of a higher quality food, so if the dog was switched from something nasty like Purina or pedigree less food should have been needed for sure!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm currently feeding this until I can get back to level with finances and switch back to Innova. I've been fairly pleased with it...it's essentially Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (Diamond) re-packaged under Costco's Kirkland label.

If the dog was gaining a bunch of weight on it, then I fault the owner for not adjusting the amounts accordingly. Every dog is going to take a different amount depending on it's metabolism and activity levels.

Saje

Island dweller
I feed it and it makes me happy. It's not as good a food as some but it's a nice simple food. My dogs do well on it and it's good for my budget. And steve likes that lol

Gerald

I have fed it for years, and my dogs do GREAT on it. I have tried other foods in the past, but always come back to the Kirkland. I feed the Chicken, my dogs did not care for the lamb at all. It has no corn or fillers, and chicken and chicken meal, so it is great.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i searched on a thread and some one said that Kirkland dog food was the same as diamond naturals lamb and rice, but it depends on what formula of kirklands you get.
i feed diamon naturals lamb and rice and my dogs do good on it. i like it

Julie

I am back again.
Here is the latest ingredient list I have. I believe it has not changed since I took this picture of my bag.

This is Chicken & Rice.

noludoru

Bored Now.
About how much is it for a 40lb (or whatever size) bag, guys? I'm going to feed Waylon that if my application is approved... and I want to know how much I'd pay for that vs, say Canidae. And I have no idea what either of them cost, except that they're cheaper... and my parents aren't very excited at feeding a 100+ lb dog, so I'm the one paying, and I have limited resources.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm paying about $22, incl. tax. Considering Innova just went up to $48(?) here...it makes a HUGE difference...

Romy

Taxiderpy
We're feeding Kirkland chicken and rice, at $22 for 40 lbs. I think we were paying $40-45 for 40 lbs of Canidae.

He seems to do really well on it. We supplement with random little things, like meat scraps and a few raw meals a week too.

noludoru

Bored Now.
We're feeding Kirkland chicken and rice, at $22 for 40 lbs. I think we were paying $40-45 for 40 lbs of Canidae.

He seems to do really well on it. We supplement with random little things, like meat scraps and a few raw meals a week too.
:yikes: I thought Canidae was comparable to Kirkland in cost.. at least somewhere around there.... wow.

Well, I guess there's no real decision to make there, LOL!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'm paying about $22, incl. tax. Considering Innova just went up to $48(?) here...it makes a HUGE difference...
I hear ya. I'm switching the dogs to Kirkland's sister-food, Diamond Naturals Chicken Meal and Rice after Ronin's Innova/EVO blend and Ilsa's TOTW bag is used up - Innova has gone up to well near $50 a bag here, and Canidae is about $40. I could get kirkland, but I'd have to get a membership as well as drive more than an hour to get the food.

Money is going to be VERY tight this summer, so I'm going to pick my battles... and settling on a slightly lower quality food is something I'm going to give the ol' 40lb try. Of course, I'll supplement with healthy snacks and superb canned food - my canned food stockpile is fairly large right now!

If they don't do well on the food... I'll cut my budget elsewhere so they can go back on their expensive food. ;)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah, I'm trying really hard to earn enough to get back on Innova...they're doing fine on Kirkland but I can still tell a difference between that and the Innova. Actually, I want to be making enough to feed them raw. Then they won't be affected by rising grain prices.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, I don't want to see a difference - at least not with Ronin! The Innova is agreeing with him VERY well, but he's going to eat me out of house and home if I keep feeding Innova.

Luckily I have 35lbs of food left for Ilsa (TOTW) and about... oh, about 45lbs of food left for Ronin (Innova/EVO blend). We'll see how far that gets us - and if I have the money to keep them on the "doggy caviar" at that point, I'll do it - but if not, then I don't feel bad about trying a bag of the Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice.

Yarg, recessions are NOT fun!

I have been feeding Kirkland Signature (The chicken and rice formula) for about 6 months now after convincing my cheapskate mother to switch to a better food (Beneful) and my dogs are looking amazing! Their coats are shiny, and oh so soft. And Brad (Dachshund mix) doesn't have bald patches on his back from scratching so much because of his food allergies..He looks GREAT, and has changed the most.

I only pay $19.99 for 40 pounds of it. And I also feed all my cats the cat Kikland Signature (And its $13.99 for 30 pounds). I also notice the dogs eat a lot less of it, as do the cats and that also saves money..and my overweight dogs are now at a healthy weight since I have been feeding it.

Paige

Let it be
So this comes highly recommended then by fellow chazzers? I may have to give it a go. Spanky doesn't do well usually on kibble. A lot of quality foods give him the runs.

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
I've fed Kirkland brand before & the 3Ms was doing okay on it. I just recently switched to Canidae thinking that it might be better. The price is higher, but not overly expensive like the Innova.. I, too, am hoping to be able to return to the Innova, if we ever can afford it again.

i have a question.. Does anyone know the different between Innova Evo & Evo?. Last time I went to purchase the food, they gave me samples of both Innova Evo & Evo (in all favors). I didn't have times to check them out yet.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Just picked up my 40lb bag... with tax, $22.99. Not bad at all! :D It wont' get fed until next month though, sice I have a stockpile of dog food. I like to have a bag of food "in reserve" in case of hard times, or zombie apolcalypse!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I fed Kirkland for a while and it was like $17.99 for a 40 lb. bag. They did okay on it, but do better on their current TOTW/EVO rotation, but if finances start giving us more trouble than usual again, that's definitely what I plan to feed.

Members online