"Go Lay Down"

Lizmo

Water Junkie
How do you teach this!!!!! I mean I want to be able to have her go lay down and stay...does that just come from time???

Also I am going to be training another dog to do this and want to know the best way...and easiest...for the dog to learn this command!!!! :D

I think what you mean is to go to another place and lay down, say on a dog bed, right? I would use a separate command for that - perhaps "Go to bed". That way, it's a different action than laying down beside you. "Go to bed" will mean go to the bed AND lay down. But you should only need to say "Go to bed: This is a different command than just lay down.

Set up your learning area by putting a dog bed, blanket, or towel about 6-10 feet away from you. With your dog beside you, on a leash if you want, say "Go to bed!" and then together go to the bed. The second she lies down on the bed, give her a treat. Say "Good girl, good go to bed!".

Then get up walk to the other side of the room again and repeat, "Go to bed." Together go to the bed and when you can get her to lay down, treat again. It will take many repetitions, but she'll start to figure out that going AND laying down on the bed will get her a reward.

Later, when you try to send her by herself, make sure that someone is waiting at the bed with a treat. Then you can phase out that person. Finally, she'll do it herself, and you will walk over to her while she is laying down and you will reward her.

I hope that's clear. Good luck and let us know how it's going.

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
I train this using treats ON the bed the first couple sessions. I have the dog on a leash, drop some treats on the bed (the dog sees this) then walk a few steps away. I then give the command "Go Place" and point to the bed (which later becomes the hand signal) and release the dog, who of course runs right to the treats.

I do that untill the dog is running to the bed on command without me putting treats on it. (he still gets rewarded by me once he gets there) Then, I add the down command once the dog reaches the bed. Then It slowly becomes one whole behavior instead of multiple ones mixed together.

It usualy takes about four to five sessions before the dog is running to the bed and lieing down automatically. This is assuming he already knows how to lie down on command.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Silverpawz that is really GREAT way!!! I would have never thought of that!!!! :D

I am going to start wouking on the ASAP!!!! :D

makka619

Glad you asked this, I want to teach my dog it.

This is a training plan I found from the net. I am going to apply some suggestions from this thread for teaching it.

Go to Mat:
Cue: Verbal cue "Mat."
Description: On cue, dog will go to his mat and remain there until released.

Elements:
• Behavior specifics: Although he will be taught down on the mat, he may change position at will as long as he remains on the mat.
• Duration: Up to one hour.
• Distance: Respond to cue up to twenty feet away.
• Latency: Immediate.
• Locations: Everywhere.
• Other: Must maintain even when I'm out of sight.

Training Plan: (Accomplish each level in multiple locations of gradually increasing distractions.)
1. Shape dog to go to the mat from five feet away.
2. Add the cue.
3. Goes to mat from five feet away and lies down.
4. Holds the down for one minute.
5. Goes to mat from 10 feet away and lies down for two minutes.
6. Go to mat from 20 feet away and remain down for five minutes.
7. Go to mat from 20 feet away and remain down for 15 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.