Making your own collars.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I was just wondering, for those of you who make your own collars, how much work is involved and (more importantly) how difficult is it?

I would like to start making Frodo fabric collars so that instead of saying "OMG WANT!" all the time, I could just....make them.

Can you hand stitch collars, as opposed to using a machine?
Where did you start learning how?
What equipment do you use?
Etc...

TIA :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm curious about this as well. I want to get a sewing machine and not sure what to look for in the appropriate sewing machine and if there are tips on how to actually make collars. I'd like to be able to make martingales as well.

Also in the interested group. i wonder if our 1000 year old sewing machine could handle making a dog collar...Heck I wonder if it works. I'd love to make some for my sister.

SpringerLover

Elizabeth wants to have a dog collar sewing party... but that involves being domestic. I keep saying yes but never actually setting up a day/time.

If you want to, we could. She has a sewing machine!

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I've made two collars for Suzie, and they turned out okay.

I found all of the metal things in my moms sewing area, and after stalking pictures of collars decided the Mar tingle was the easiest. I used a sewing machine, and I guess I've just always known how to sew, my mom taught me at an early age. I think you could do it by hand as well, it might take forever though.

And I just used some cloth I found. Its not the prettiest, but it felt sturdy enough. I basically just winged it. Its a little big, but when the mar tangle is pulled it gets tight enough, so she won't slip out unless you aren't pulling the little loopy thingy.

Okay, I'm gonna stop rambling and hopefully Cynthia will say something. She makes collars :D

Taqroy

I buy all my metal bits, plastic and nylon from here: cdwplus. You can buy all that stuff at sewing stores but the ones I get from that site are much better quality AND they're cheaper, even with shipping.

If you guys want I can make a tutorial and send it out - or someone with a blog can put it up. Would that work? Then I can put a little more thought into it and I can take purty pics and what not. :p

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Megan, I would definitely be game as long as it is pre-baby :p

I buy all my metal bits, plastic and nylon from here: cdwplus. You can buy all that stuff at sewing stores but the ones I get from that site are much better quality AND they're cheaper, even with shipping.

If you guys want I can make a tutorial and send it out - or someone with a blog can put it up. Would that work? Then I can put a little more thought into it and I can take purty pics and what not. :p
YES! Tutorial PLZ!

Taqroy

I'll see what I can come up with! It'll probably be a couple days though, I have a huge certification test on Saturday that I'm woefully under-prepared for. :( I'll probably have to start after that.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I know you can go on etsy and buy instructions and supplies to make your own collar. They seem relatively easy to make (from what I've read - and if I made my mum do the sewing).

B

Backward_Cinderella

There is a lot of patience involved in collar making... I'd suggest buying cheap fabric to start with so you don't ruin something you love or paid a good chunk for...
My Bernina Bernette 92C does beautifully and does embroidery as well as regular sewing. I also have a serger that I use sometimes depending on what I'm doing.

Also:
Double stitch EVERYTHING. Triple if you have the time / patience.

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
Instructables have lots of people who have tried and have posted the steps, if you google "make a fabric dog collar" you should get some ehow instructions.

Members online

No members online now.