acceptable raw meats and bones to feed dogs?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, right now I give Hannah some raw beef soup bones, and also ox tail as well. Mordy also mentioned turkey necks and beef hearts as well. Are there any other kinds of acceptable meats that I could give Hannah, or bones she could eat? I finally found where the local butcher was hiding and I want to start adding a variety of raw meats and bones to her diet. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I heard bad things about pork. Are there certain chicken cuts, or whatever their called, to feed a dog or can I go buy a whole chicken and give her any part of it?

RD

Are you dead yet?
I feed beef, pork, turkey, chicken and fish (usually not raw fish - good quality raw fish is so expensive.) Whenever I can find it I feed rabbit.

As for bones, I only feed Dakota large beef/pork bones, ribs are as small as I go. He really likes neck bones and femur bones (when I can get them) but ribs are definitely his favorites. He doesn't eat too much bone this way, because he can't just easily crush it up and swallow the entire thing.
Ripley gets chicken necks and turkey necks, along with various different meats.

I will never again feed poultry bones outside of necks and backs, the other bones particularly weight-bearing ones, splinter into long sharp shards and unless the dog completely pulverizes each one before swallowing, that'll be rough on their insides. Neck and back bones are softer and more easily digested, and larger bones can be scraped at, to remove little shavings of bone without swallowing big, dangerous chunks.

I buy whole chickens and just cut pieces up for Ripley, and feed them whole to Dakota. (He won't eat a whole chicken in one sitting so I take it away when he's had his fill and give it to him the next day. He can finish one off in 2 days. I do watch him carefully to make sure he doesn't eat the leg and wing bones, since he'll just crunch those once or twice and swallow them whole. :eek:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i feed mostly beef, pork, lamb/sheep, turkey, rabbit and chicken.

the particular pieces?

beef: mostly neck bones, but also ribs and tail, and the joint knuckles of the leg bones.
pork: neck bones, ribs, tail, joint knuckles, feet
lamb: neck bones, ribs, heads (split), shanks (whole)
turkey: necks, wings
rabbit: any part of the carcass, with bones
chicken: any part of the carcass, with bones

pork (as opposed to wild hogs/boars) is fine to give if frozen for at least a week, pieces under 6 inch thickness. pork bones are also much softer than beef bones, causing less wear on the teeth and dogs are less likely to break their teeth on the tubular parts of the leg bones (which shouldn't be given anyway, but some people still do). pork ribs are excellent for young dogs and small breeds, because they are so soft even those can completely consume them.

you need to watch the feeding habits of your dogs and make sure they chew well. i wouldn't feed pieces of turkey neck to a gulper for example, only a whole neck so he's forced to chew.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
thank you, now I have something to look for at the butchers. I didn't want to go in there looking like an idiot. Is it cheaper to buy the meat from the butcher's as opposed to the grocery stores though or is it the same price?

oriondw

user not active
Mordy said:
pork (as opposed to wild hogs/boars) is fine to give if frozen for at least a week, pieces under 6 inch thickness. pork bones are also much softer than beef bones, causing less wear on the teeth and dogs are less likely to break their teeth on the tubular parts of the leg bones (which shouldn't be given anyway, but some people still do). pork ribs are excellent for young dogs and small breeds, because they are so soft even those can completely consume them.
I give my guy full legs including the tubes. No problems at all. While he does split the whole bone to pieces he never actually eats them. :)

Why would pork be frozen for at least a week?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
oriondw said:
I give my guy full legs including the tubes. No problems at all. While he does split the whole bone to pieces he never actually eats them.
eating them isn't the whole issue. i've seen what that kind of bone can do to the teeth in the course of 5-7 years and up. you aren't going to see the results immediately, but in the long run they become very obvious. the tooth enamel can only stand up to so much, and once it's damaged, the nerve can also suffer damage, causing the tooth to die.

not even wolves risk their teeth chewing off more than the joint knuckles from the leg bones of large prey animals - they know instinctively that damaging their teeth leads to not being able to survive.

Why would pork be frozen for at least a week?
to kill off trichinella cysts, if they are present. in our times, the risk is fairly low tho.

oriondw

user not active
Mordy said:
eating them isn't the whole issue. i've seen what that kind of bone can do to the teeth in the course of 5-7 years and up. you aren't going to see the results immediately, but in the long run they become very obvious. the tooth enamel can only stand up to so much, and once it's damaged, the nerve can also suffer damage, causing the tooth to die.

not even wolves risk their teeth chewing off more than the joint knuckles from the leg bones of large prey animals - they know instinctively that damaging their teeth leads to not being able to survive.

to kill off trichinella cysts, if they are present. in our times, the risk is fairly low tho.
Ah I see. Thats good enough reason for to take away his bones after his done with knucles :D

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i wouldn't go as far as saying "breed X doesn't do well on food Y" - i know boxers who eat pork on a regular basis and do well on it. on the other hand i also don't buy much into the whole thing that "breed X developed in country Y, where food Z is common, so they should eat that."

it really depends more on the individual dog, that's why it is a good idea to experiment a bit and find out what works.

Members online

No members online now.