Cruciate ligament repair options

tbnlabs

Hi,

Our 7 year old yellow lab, Ellie, tore her left hind cruciate ligament this week. We have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday to discuss her options. I've been doing some research, and am amazed to learn how common an injury this is. I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experiences with the various types of surgeries to correct this: lateral suture, TPLO and TTA.

She's a small lab, only 56 lbs, but she's very active, so based on our research, we're leaning towards TPLO. We'll see what this vet recommends. Our own vet only does the lateral suture surgery.

I'd also be interested in hearing about what other people did to help their dogs recover (confinement, games, toys, etc). She is so active, I think it will be really hard to keep her down. So far, we are making sure she doesn't get up on the furniture, taking her out only on a leash, and my husband just built her a ramp for the stairs today.

Thank you for your help.

Terri

otch1

So sorry to hear your dog has to go thru this!! TPLO would be best and after that, confinement will be your biggest challenge. Doberkim.... are you out there? She would be the best person (a vet) to explain this, and hopefully she'll come along soon. I've had many clients dogs experience this specific injury, from labs to Bichons. One in particular comes to mind. a male lab who after surgery reinjured leg 2 more times that year because he was not properly confined and then allowed strenuous activity too soon. He was finally crated. Dependant on where you're from, if you have access to hydrotherapy after the confinement period, it's worked wonders for some of the dogs I've known. Good luck!

Jynx

I've been thru surgery with two of my gsd's,,both times however, what was "thought" to be a blown cruciates were in fact not, upon opening them up.

This may occur with your pooch as well...The first one, had smashed his knee cap (slid on ice) and since there was so much fluid around it, upon surgery was found that it was just that, the knee cap and surrounding arthritis,,scraped away, he managed fine.

The second, the cruciate was fine, but she has OCD, (genetic knee problem) and again, a good scraping out of the knee was done.

Both were/are very high energy gsd's, and actually it was easier keeping them toned down than I thought,,maybe they knew their limitations..Both, did not put weight on the leg for the first few days, but about the 3rd day started to,,they were leash walked for EVERYTHING,,I didn't crate them because again, they seem to "know" they had to be toned down..I also did water therapy with them to build back up muscle tone..no jumping, no racing aroudn like lunatics..

They went thru ALOT of marrow bones!

The time passed quicker than I thought (maybe looking back on it, seems that way! LOL) oh and both were around 8 years old when they had surgery.

Good luck
Diane

tbnlabs

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted as we move forward. Ellie's doing pretty well though. The hardest part will be limiting her activity. Even now, she wants to go for a walk whenever one of us opens the door.

Members online

No members online now.