I Dont KNow What To Do With Emma

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I would never get rid of her because she's anoying but she's SO anoying. My parents hate her. They arent dog people at all. All Emma does in the house is paces and whines. She is never content. 90% of the time I swear she is mentaly retarded. Its like manners and basic OB fell out of her head. She's not getting the attention she is used to. I just cant with Katie. She isnt being ignored either. She ran away 3 times in ONE day. We dont leave her in the yard un atended since we dont have a back fence. But she just bolted out of the door. She knows way better than that. Im just so fustrated.

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
I agree, you need to make time for her. I have 3 dogs and two young children and manage to make time for all as well as others, it's possible. Just need to make a good schedule.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I would never get rid of her because she's anoying but she's SO anoying.

Oh, I understand that feeling all too well....
:)

Abby does the same thing.

I agree that you have to make the time- maybe if it's only 15 minutes of going over obedience commands or some light agility training, just something to stimulate her mind.

We also give Abby bones to chew on, which seems to keep her busy enough to forget that she's bored and anxious.

Dekka

Just try me..
good advice so far, and if she is pacing try crating her. I find anxious dogs often settle with a bone or kong in a crate.

DanL

Is this the Beagle? Our Beagle used to bolt and there was no getting him back til he was ready. His nose was his only concern.

Lolas Dad

Is the dog spayed?. If not maybe that would explain her running away 3 times in one day. If she is spayed then you need to teach her to stay when the door is opened. The way to do that is put her on a leash open the door as if your going outside and do not let her out until you say so. You can tell her to wait and have her in a sitting position at the door with the door open and you right outside the door. Also teach her to wait inside the house in a sitting position. When she is sitting in the house under your command have her wait walk away and come back. If she has not moved then say good wait and reward her. If she has moved then try the procedure again.

Dekka

Just try me..
I don't think being spayed has anything to do with running away.. unless she is currently in heat, in which case she shouldn't be off leash. My spayed girls don't run off... but I have had altered fosters who will till they get more training.

I would put her on a long line so she can still run, but not run away.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Sounds like she definitely needs some more attention. Even if she isn't being ignored, she might not be stimulated enough.

Maybe try integrating Emma into what you do with Kate? Go on walks together, keep Emma on a long line if you're outside with Kate... I don't know, maybe others have better ideas, but it sounds like Emma might just need some more attention from you.

Dekka has it right with the crating idea, too. Finn gets anxious sometimes if I'm busy doing things without him, and when that happens he's crated with a frozen Kong and he's a happy kid. :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Sounds like shes just understimulated to me. I know having a kid keeps your busy, but really, plenty of people with kids find time for their pets, shes also a responsibility. shes not retarted shes just BORED.

there are plenty of activities you can do with both your daughter and your dog:

Maybe try to find some time with her, walk her WITH your daughter in the stroller.

Take her to the park, you and your daughter can have lunch there, take some food/snacks and let emma run around and have fun with other dogs or fetch or something while you and your daughter enjoy your lunch

have "emma time" while your girl is napping. when shes taking a nap, go for a walk with her, play tug, just spend time with her

most dogs.. no matter if they "know better" then to run out the door if they are bored, understimulated and not getting the attention they need are going to bolt. just to get SOME kind of stimulation, even if it means only being outside for 5 minutes while you chase her down.. its better than being stuck inside.

If you really don't have time for her. Then I suggest rehoming her to someone who has the time and can spend the time with her that she needs.

a TIRED dog is a GOOD dog. the more you get her out there and WALK her, RUN with her, PLAY with her, TRAIN her.. the more tired (both physically and mentally) shes going to be. and she will stop pacing and whining.

Doggy daycare and dog walkers are also a great option. Doggy daycare, even if only once a week, would probably help. If money is tight, "play dates" with other dogs in the neighborhood are a GREAT way to get dogs tired out. Talk to your neighbors who have dogs, if they have a secure backyard and a friendly dog, go over there with emma and let her play

For when you cant be with her/shes annoying your parents. Crates are also a great tool, put her in there with a fun treat like a bullstick or kong. now, crates are NOT for all the time. being stuck in a crate all day long is just going to make her WORSE. so if you honestly cannot find time for her to stimulate and give her exercise, then the crate is NOT a bandaid. but for when shes getting walked and seems ok and you just need a place for her to be afor a little while.. crates are very useful

Grab

Definitely integrate your 'kid time' with your 'dog time'. Getting the baby out for walks is great stimulation, and Emma can come along for that. Perhaps go to the park and let Emma run on a long line while you sit with the wee one. You can clicker train while sitting with Katie. Puzzle toys are great too.

There's no reason there can't be plenty of time for dog and kiddo. One of my bosses has a 5 month old and works full time, breastfeeds, has 5 dogs and several horses. I know she sticks her little one in his bjorn while out doing horse and dog stuff and he just hangs out happily. I'm sure she's tired at times, but the dogs and horses can't go without, and she does the majority of their care.

If she knows obedience commands they can be good mental stimulation as well. Have her do a sit or down stay while you're changing the baby, heel down the hall, etc.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Thanks guys. I have really been trying to spend more time with her.

As for her crate. Arg. She is well crate trained but she whines, screams and yelps if she is in her crate during the day now. All of this has happened since I moved in with my parents. She has spent alot of time here before so it's not a new place.

ETA: She has been spayed for a few years now. She is a good off leash beagle. Meaning not 100% but I trust her in some situations. She knows better than bolting out the door. We worked hard on that.

Brattina88

How long ago did you move? She may be anxious about the move, and still adjusting. Some dogs don't adjust as quickly to things like that compared to others.

(((((hugs))))))) I know that can be frustrating!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
We moved in March. But I usually brought her when I came to visit for her entire life.

Doberluv

She knows better than bolting out the door. We worked hard on that.
Knows better, unfortunately, has nothing to do with it. It is more motivating for her to bolt through the door than not. Behavior will regress. She needs refrseher courses and a better reason to not bolt than to bolt...lots and lots more reinforcements.:)

Anyhow, I can't offer anything else. Good advice about a little more stimulation and one on one time. Try not reacting to her whining. Wait until she is settled for just a few seconds before you give her what she wants. Good luck with her.

Members online

No members online now.