Saint Barnard Not eating

BamMcg

Hi,
I picked up a Saint Barnard mix from outside in my front yard...called the humaine society, made flyers, called the paper ect. Anyways the question is that she's not eating, exept the small amout of meat from the table, I know, not good for her, but my mom gave it to her. There's no way she had a eating problem before I got her, she somewhat over weight. We fead Iams Adult formula to our Cavlier and Welsh Springer, she's not eating it. I gave her her own bolwl in her own room and still nothing. She's not drinking water either. She was nervous when I first brought her in but now, she seems right at home and even follows me around the house and lays her head in my lap to be pet. The other dogs have exepted her, lovingly. I don't know if I should put some broth over her food so she'll eat it and get some liquid or what. Sorry it was so long..I've never had this problem before.
Thanks for ANY help,
Amber

BamMcg

Iams isn't that bad of quality...at least I don't think so. I'm not asking about the quality of food. In fact, my vet said it was pretty good. There's definately worse out there. That's just what I've always fed, exept for the short time I tried the BARF diet...I was told later(we lived in HI at the time) that that wasn't good living on an island wghere the meat was imported. She's not even drinking water. And for a dog, especially her size, to not eat....it just worried me. She's been out for at least 2 days, my neighbors have seen her out...I went asking if anyone knew where she belonged. She looks healthy and there's no way I'm going to be able to get her to a vet durring Christmas time just to see if she's healthy, they'll think I'm nuts, and I'd think I'm nuts too lol! The only thing I can do is call my vet, we're on a first name basis and I have her home and cell number. Also, that doesn't explain the water thing. She got a bath, her nails trimmed, ears cleaned out and 2 matts between her toes cut out. Things that were not nessesary, but it was bath day at out house for the other dogs. She doesn't have the runs and no other signs. Plus my dogs are complete on their vaccines, so I'm not worried about health for my two. I could go out and get a few small bags of other brands of dog food to see if that helps. If the food is new to her, probable, that could be the reason too. But I was wondering if the broth would hurt her. I could make some rice and chicken for her too...I have that and when I was feeding BARF I sometimes supplemented with that. I just don't know the best course for her. I don't want to upset her tummy..had a standard poodle once with tummy problems which is why I still feed Iam, the one thing that didn't make her...puke. Even treats would do that to her. Oh, she won't take doggy treats either. I'm at a loss.

Debi

maybe she is upset at being away from her home. Keep trying, if she is healthy I'm sure she'll eat when she gets hungry enough....same with drinking. She is probably pretty stressed in a different environment than she is used to. I hope you find her owner soon. I agree, tho....IF she doesn't eat or drink soon, you're gonna have to take her to be checked. Even with all vaccines, dogs can get sick from other things a sick animal may carry.

BamMcg

I don't know. She still didn't eat all night...I brought food to bed with us. I know a lot of people don't agree with letting dogs sleep on the bed but I do...please don't debate it. Anyways, I hardly got any sleep last night. She kept draping herself across me, and on my head, under the covers, ect. Not fun with a Saint Barnard. That hurts. My other two have there "places" and know better than that. In fact, the Welsh Springer would rather sleep in the bathroom and Cavalier at my feet. I'm going to mix some cooked ground beef and rice into the food and see if she eats. I think she's nervous...she was pacing lat night, and seemed like she had a routine she wanted to follow when I started turning off the lights for bed.

It sounds like the poor thing is grieving. She's lost her family; she's disoriented, scared and she's not going to let you disappear on her too. Poor baby.

Bimmer, my German Shepherd/wolf mix, didn't eat anything substantial for weeks after out Buffy was poisoned.

Just start working with her, seeing if she seems to have had any obedience training and try to treat her like one of the family without too much fuss. That will help reassure her.

I think it's wonderful that you've taken her in and are taking such good care of her.

And I'll hold my tongue - for now - on the Iams/Eukanuba issue. ;)

Members online

No members online now.