Dogs & avocados

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
I know avocado tops the list of harmful foods for dogs, yet we have an avocado tree in the backyard, which has a lot of tiny young avocados that fall to the ground. My dogs love to play with them. Missy pretends they're her balls, and fetch them. Mocha & Muffin use their noses to roll them forward, or toss them up & down. They know they're not supposed to eat them, but I do find half-eaten avocados lying around, as proof of my command not being followed when I'm not around.

We've had this avocado tree for about two weeks, and the dogs do not show any signs of being sick. Should I worry? Is there anything I can do to keep the 3Ms from eating it?

PS: Cutting the tree down is not an option, because it's a VERY big avocado tree that has about a million avocados on it right now, and everyone in our families & friends, including ourselves, love avocados!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I think it's the pit in avocado's.... there are some dog foods with avocado in it. I think. Anyone?

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I think it's the pit in avocado's.... there are some dog foods with avocado in it. I think. Anyone?
I thought it was the pits too...but I'm not really sure....

ETA: found this
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_dyk#2

AVOCADO
Did You Know… Avocado (Persea americana) is not an advisable food to give to pets? Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as Persin. The Guatemalan variety, which is the most common variety found in stores, appears to be the most problematic.

The primary concern in dogs is with gastrointestinal (GI) irritation, including vomiting and diarrhea. Typically, these effects occur in dogs that have scavenged on significant quantities of fruit, branches or other material from the plant. Birds and rodents appear to be particularly sensitive, and can develop respiratory distress, generalized congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart, and possibly death from consuming avocado.

Dave-W

Four dogs and holding
My Dogs have eaten tons of avocados. None of them ever had any problems because of them. Not even loose stools.

A Dog will not eat the pit, but they eat everything else (including the skin). The pit must have a very bitter taste because none of my Dogs want anything to do with them.

A Dog who knows what it's doing will size up the avocado first to figure out which end has the pit. Then she chews that end off first. She will then squeeze the rest of the avocado to force out the pit. The rest is swallowed in one gulp. Takes longer to type it out than to do it!

Last fall I watched my Doberman eat at least a dozen avocados. After she had her fill she buried about a dozen more. I'll, bet she wishes she could find those buried ones because this year's crop was wiped out in the "Great Freeze Of '07". They'll be back next year I'll bet.

Giny

I'm not sure about dogs and avocados but I just wanted to say that I'm SO jealous. To have an avocado tree in your back yard.....LUCKY! I could heat avocados with everything, I love it. It costs an arm and a leg here to bye them in the stores. It's about $5 for 3 and I make sure they don't go bad once home. I could almost cry when I find out that my avocado has gone bad.

As for dogs, I didn't realize it was harmful to them. Mine don't like them at all. Boomer even did a look of disgust after trying a little piece of it. lol

Members online

No members online now.