Is This Multiple Personality Disorder?

Doberluv

THE DOBERMAN...my little story

I am having the time of my life with a breed that I've always been obsessed with and curious about, but no one would let me have one....you know...the big fear. Well, when I got divorced, VIOLA! I got my first Doberman. :p

It was advised by most that I not get a male the first time around, that they can be more "dominant" and more of a handful. Well, I got a male. LOL. But I had had lots of dogs in my life and horses and figured if I could handle Arabian horses, I could handle a male Doberman. One breeder preferred males. She said, "bitches rule, dogs drool," that they are big lover boy slobs and exceedingly affectionate. I'm so glad I got my Doberboy because he is just that.

He's so well socialized and of good temperament that he knows the difference between friendly strangers and someone up to no good. He's watchful of strangers and then after a few minutes, quite friendly. If he knows someone...my friends, he is downright all over them with kisses and wags.

He's highly intelligent and takes to training (in spite of my mistakes) well, picks up my meaning quickly and easily. He's very obedient and willing...willing when he's wanting to be willing. LOL. :rolleyes: He is distractable, to be sure, but he's young still. He's so "in your face" affectionate, loyal and devoted to his owner. He never strays far from my side and in fact needs to be touching me physically most of the time, a chin on my lap, a paw, a doberbutt, something.

The reason I say multiple personality is that he can be such an incredible dork, show off, goof ball, full of humor and nonsense, ready for a game anytime, awkward and spazing out most of the time. He can be awkward in silliness, but beautifully atheletic, agile and fast at other times. BUT, when something isn't right, a noise outside at night, a stranger coming into the house uninvited at night (it happened) this sweet natured, velcro, loverboy becomes a serious, down to business, vicious and bold protector.

So, that's my story on a breed that I can't see being without. I've had a lot of dogs, different breeds and no other has touched me quite the same way as Lyric. To me, they are a lot of dog, the Cadillac of dogs and very, very interesting behaviorally. A breed not for all, but definitely for me. :)

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
I'd never met a doberman face to face, so to speak until we moved here. We were lucky and met one on the beach last month, she stopped to have a little play with Misha. Misha just adored her. She was great, really gentle with Misha (who has no play manners yet) and she looked so graceful running and playing. I can fully understand why you guys love them so much.

I can see where the Doberman would be a trainer's delight, Emma. They really are totally tuned in to pleasing the owner. I've met quite a few and they were so well behaved and had such civilized mannerisms. They do like to play jokes on their people, though - and the jokes are usually quite imaginative!

Doberluv

Yup. Jokes! Eh-hem. Yesterday....a joke I didn't much care for: Lyric was way off in the woods in the back part of my acreage on one of his explores. I called him and he usually appears right away. Well, finally he came thundering to me, obviously having come from a bit of a distance off....very obedient and nice. So, I praised him for coming very exciteably and threw a stick, ran the other way to play with him, showing him how wonderful he was. BIG MISTAKE! Lesson: Never play too exciteably with a Doberman. They can get a little overly excited. He leapt up from behind me and bit my rear, tearing my favorite shorts. If he had sunk his teeth any deeper, that would have really hurt. I was ticked and hollered at him. He looked so bewildered like, "what? What's wrong? You were all happy one minute, wanting to play, so I played and now you're not." Then I felt guilty. I don't want to spoil his "drive." But.... I need to learn to tone it down a bit I guess.

bubbatd

How old is he ??? I never like to see anyone "play rough" with a learning pup. A man called me once for advise on his dog grabbing and hurting his hands. I learned he wore gloves and played hard when the dog was a young pup....pulling sticks and alot of mouthy things. DUH!!!! Also, never ever have a young pup jump high for stick and frezbies etc !!! Their young hip bones don't need to be damaged at this age. Wait until they've gotten their bone growth.

Half the reason I like dobies is that they can actually be pretty difficult to train. If you don't keep training exciting and keep them interested, they turn it completely around on you just to watch you squirm. I would WAY rather train a dog that was a "difficult" case than one who did everything I said. Where's the challenge in a compliant dog? :D (I've always wanted a Basenji because one of the first things you always hear is how hard they are to train!) I want my dogs challenging my every step, because only then do they really come to trust you and your judgement. The more intelligent the dog, the more fulfilling the relationship! And dobies are extremely intelligent.

Doberluv

Half the reason I like dobies is that they can actually be pretty difficult to train. If you don't keep training exciting and keep them interested, they turn it completely around on you just to watch you squirm
LOL. You can say that again! They get bored easily and they are sooooo "creative" in their learning that you've got to beat them to the punch. And give them lots of variety and be creative too. They're such a kick.

How old is he ??? I never like to see anyone "play rough" with a learning pup. A man called me once for advise on his dog grabbing and hurting his hands. I learned he wore gloves and played hard when the dog was a young pup....pulling sticks and alot of mouthy things. DUH!!!! Also, never ever have a young pup jump high for stick and frezbies etc !!! Their young hip bones don't need to be damaged at this age. Wait until they've gotten their bone growth.
Oh...don't worry. I'm quite an experienced dog/horse trainer...been in dogs for 45 years and studied behavior in school. I know about their bones and had several breeds one needs to watch out for in that area. He's almost two years old. You'd have to know a Dobe, like Creature Teacher does. LOL. They're full of it forever. I don't play rough with any dog. I'm only 5'3". LOL. As I said, I was making his moment of success (coming so promptly and obediently when I called him from way off) a really fun time, my happy, squeeling voice, leaping and playing with him. He has to know how wonderful he is and happy I am with him. I don't like to spoil his drive or take away his puppyhood. So, I don't like to use too hard a voice on him when he does something like that. BUT...LOL, rip my shorts? I think next time, I better not turn my back on him when he's in one of those moods. You wouldn't believe it by the sound of this "joke" he played, but he really is quite advanced with his obedience and agility training...He's a good Doberboy.

Aww, do you have any photos of the Doberboy? I'd love to see him!

Ripped your shorts!! So it wasn't just one of those front-teeth-only pinches? lol! He was just keeping you on your toes!! :D

Doberluv

Thanks for asking Creature Teacher. Yes, I have lots of photos. He's quite a dapper fellow. I have pictures of all my dogs in there and my horses too. I just have to figure out how to post them on this board. I have them all in a gallery in another forum, Global Paw...don't know if you have seen that one. So, I'll have to get around to figuring this one out. Maybe it's similar to that one in that respect. I should also make an avatar. I'm really, severely computer challenged, let me tell you.

Well, thanks for your message. Oh, yes...he went in for the kill on those shorts. Sometimes when he is really happy and playing, he smiles....all his front and side teeth show. LOL.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Carrie, Lyric sounds like such an awesome dog. :)
Knowing a couple of dobermans and typing to the online "dobe community" has really sparked my interest in the breed, and made me want to own one someday. It'd be an interesting sway from my "sharp" and often serious herders, but I think a dobe and I would get along quite well.

Oh and re: pictures, this photo host program is really similar if not identical to the one at gp. :)

Doberluv

Grace,

Thanks. Yes, they are neat dogs....my favs.

I just uploaded pictures into my gallery. Some of them, I believe still need to be approved. So, I'll soon post some. Thanks!

Doberluv said:
Sometimes when he is really happy and playing, he smiles....all his front and side teeth show. LOL.
I LOVE the dobie smile! And how they cross their front legs when they lay down. And the content grooooooooaaan! :) So much personality!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I know what you mean.

Rocky's a hyperactive, playful puppy at times but when he sees a stranger he becomes a guardian.

I left my chair outside and knowing as how dogs don't have very good eyes, he saw someone on OUR property. Without coming and greeting my dad or I.

So he vicously barked and barked but as he got close to it. He became friendly. Same thing happened to one of my dad's co-workers who came to the house. As soon as Rocky got close to him, he started licking and jumping around like normal.

I think all dogs are like that. :)

CreatureTeacher said:
Half the reason I like dobies is that they can actually be pretty difficult to train. If you don't keep training exciting and keep them interested, they turn it completely around on you just to watch you squirm. I would WAY rather train a dog that was a "difficult" case than one who did everything I said. Where's the challenge in a compliant dog? :D (I've always wanted a Basenji because one of the first things you always hear is how hard they are to train!) I want my dogs challenging my every step, because only then do they really come to trust you and your judgement. The more intelligent the dog, the more fulfilling the relationship! And dobies are extremely intelligent.
ROFLMAO! So, you want a dog that's a challenge? You need to be owned by a working Fila someday - not one from show lines, a working dog . . . You should hear Charley lament at how much easier his Dobies, and even his Bull Mastiff and Bull Mastiff/Rottie cross (an accident that turned out very well) were. I tried to warn him ahead of time that herding dogs were a completely different creature . . . but what did I know?? :rolleyes:

Actually, these girls are an unholy cross between a cat and a mule . . .

Members online